Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2020, 02:56 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 42
Water Heater switch on inside electrical panel.

I would like to replace the non-lighted water heater switch on my 2019 FR3-30DS that is on the inside electrical panel. Currently the factory installed part is a black non-lighted switch. I would like to replace it with a switch is able to glow red when it is turned on just like the water pump switch does when it is turned on. Has anyone in the forum done that and if so, what problems did you encounter?
__________________
Ron & Betty, Ormond Beach FL
New 2019 FR3 30DS
2013 Entegra Anthem---SOLD
bootsthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:22 PM   #2
D W
Senior Member
 
D W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: ALASKA (World's Biggest Campground)
Posts: 2,503
Have never done it, but it's pretty straight forward. Use an illuminated rocker switch identical to your water pump switch (SPST 3 PIN, ON/OFF). Wire up your ground, your 12V feed from converter and your load line (to water heater).
__________________
'07 K3500 Silverado LT Crew Duramax (LBZ)
2016 Salem 27RKSS
1984 CHEV SCOTTSDALE K20 2GCGK24J0E1XXXXXX (Chevrolet Legends-Class of 2019)
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 42
Forest River gave me a part number of 40E17726A as a replacement lighted switch for the water heater and wanted me to buy from a authorized dealer. I was looking for a after market source that would be less expensive and also save on shipping cost.
__________________
Ron & Betty, Ormond Beach FL
New 2019 FR3 30DS
2013 Entegra Anthem---SOLD
bootsthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:39 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 40
You can get a 5 pack from Amazon for 9 dollars,
https://www.amazon.com/250V-125V-Roc...s%2C162&sr=8-4
__________________

2017 Forest River 32DS
Retired Navy
Retired IT Professional
Blallen58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:46 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blallen58 View Post
You can get a 5 pack from Amazon for 9 dollars,
https://www.amazon.com/250V-125V-Roc...s%2C162&sr=8-4
Thank for the link. I have found some on Amazon also.
__________________
Ron & Betty, Ormond Beach FL
New 2019 FR3 30DS
2013 Entegra Anthem---SOLD
bootsthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:57 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Have never done it, but it's pretty straight forward. Use an illuminated rocker switch identical to your water pump switch (SPST 3 PIN, ON/OFF). Wire up your ground, your 12V feed from converter and your load line (to water heater).
I have found some lighted switches on Amazon. Some with 2 pins and some with 3 pins. Forest River gave me a part number of 40E17726A but wanted me to buy from a local dealer.
__________________
Ron & Betty, Ormond Beach FL
New 2019 FR3 30DS
2013 Entegra Anthem---SOLD
bootsthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:11 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
dbledan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: KS
Posts: 2,262
I did it on my 26RLWS. I used a 20A 12v switch that can be found on Amazon or any auto parts store for mine. My panel was obviously 12v because it had common hot for all the light switches as well.

What you get will depend on the model of your water heater. You will want to make sure it is a 12v or 120v switch before you do it. If you provide the specific model of the water heater we can provide a specific answer.

My understanding is Suburban uses 120VAC for element and 12VDC for the gas Dual switch but uses common 12VDC for both switches. Suburban 'DEL' models use DC for control of electric/gas (I believe Atwood 10E & 4E Models do as well but never had one) All other Suburban combo units have seperate power/controls. Any switch added INSIDE the RV is likely 120VAC and wired in series with the OEM Switch outside....

If you are just replacing one inside that already exists you can be verify with a meter or by looking at the wiring before you buy the replacement switch.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:19 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I did it on my 26RLWS. I used a 20A 12v switch that can be found on Amazon or any auto parts store for mine. My panel was obviously 12v because it had common hot for all the light switches as well.

What you get will depend on the model of your water heater. You will want to make sure it is a 12v or 120v switch before you do it. If you provide the specific model of the water heater we can provide a specific answer.

My understanding is Suburban uses 120VAC for element and 12VDC for the gas Dual switch but uses common 12VDC for both switches. Suburban 'DEL' models use DC for control of electric/gas (I believe Atwood 10E & 4E Models do as well but never had one) All other Suburban combo units have seperate power/controls. Any switch added INSIDE the RV is likely 120VAC and wired in series with the OEM Switch outside....

If you are just replacing one inside that already exists you can be verify with a meter or by looking at the wiring before you buy the replacement switch.
Our water heater is a 6 gal unit. It is a electric or propane unit with electric on/off switch outside at the water heater.
The DSI switch for propane is inside the coach at the control panel. It is this switch I want to replace with a red lighted (on) switch so I can tell when it is auppose to using propane. I don't know why FR doesn't install this change during construction.
__________________
Ron & Betty, Ormond Beach FL
New 2019 FR3 30DS
2013 Entegra Anthem---SOLD
bootsthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 04:34 PM   #9
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 24,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootsthecat View Post
Our water heater is a 6 gal unit. It is a electric or propane unit with electric on/off switch outside at the water heater.
The DSI switch for propane is inside the coach at the control panel. It is this switch I want to replace with a red lighted (on) switch so I can tell when it is auppose to using propane. I don't know why FR doesn't install this change during construction.

You have a Suburban SWDE model water heater from your description.


I'm not sure exactly what you mean as there is a typo above in your post "is auppose to using propane".


The Suburban water heater will heat by propane when this switch is on.....and/or use the electric heating element when the switch on the face of the water heater is on. You can have both switches on and use both heating modes if you need to when a large demand for heat is called for like when taking long or multiple showers.


The mode of heating is dependent of the switch or switches you have turned on...and one switch does not override the other mode



This thread may help explain these switches and the use of the Suburban SWDE water heater.


https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ore-36197.html
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I'm trying to keep up with the Joneses, but every time I catch up, they refinance.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:18 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,833
I just tapped off from the water heater breaker and installed a 120 volt 15 amp lighted switch. When on the light is lit.
Remember this is 120 volts AC not 12 volt DC.
I now have good labels on it instead of marker.

You need to come off of the hot from the breaker as well as a neutral wire to this switch the hot off the switch goes to the hot of the water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mod Picture 027.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	279.4 KB
ID:	239483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mod Picture 028.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	272.1 KB
ID:	239484  
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL 378TS (Large box with wheels) 76,100 miles
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:59 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,250
The OP wants to replace the non illuminated propane water heater switch at the panel inside the unit with an illuminated one. That's all. Didn't say anything about the A/C side of the water heater.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #12
Just as confused as you
 
Scrapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Wilderness CG, WI
Posts: 4,383
If it's the lp side and you don't want to pay shipping just go to an auto parts store.
__________________
Richard & Jill
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Classic Super Lite
2018 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4WD All Star Edition
Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:34 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 42
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
If it's the lp side and you don't want to pay shipping just go to an auto parts store.
Haven't thought about a Auto parts store. I'll pull the unlighted 2 pin switch out tomorrow and use it to compare for right size to fit the hole with a 3 pin switch.
Thanks everyone for ALL the replies and terrific info.
These forums are a great place to learn and pass on experiences from all members.
__________________
Ron & Betty, Ormond Beach FL
New 2019 FR3 30DS
2013 Entegra Anthem---SOLD
bootsthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:23 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 13
I know this is no help (and don’t yell at me forum folks) but my (2020 5’er) has lighted WH switch. Seems builds are semi-random and tech building the unit grabs whatever is available to get through their shift.
Mikeytheb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electric, electrical, heater, switch, water, water heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 PM.