Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2015, 07:07 PM   #1

Water overflow tube problem

Fresh water tank draining while driving or sitting on a slope. Has anyone added a P Trap or shut off valve to the overflow tube? Or are there other solutions to correct the problem? Any suggestions and photos of fix would help. Also is the overflow tube also used as a. Ent tube for the tank or can it be shut off after filling the tank. As always thanks for your quick responses and help.
Mr J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:49 PM   #2
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Thought FR took care of the siphon problem. You have a couple choices. You can put a loop in the clear overflow hose or add a "p" trap inline. Either will solve the problem.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. Will give it a try.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #4
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I forgot to mention that I went with the p trap. I used 1/2" pvc. It's not pretty but, no more problem.

Old 10-02-2015, 04:40 PM   #5

Hey drivmsafe, could you post a pic of the installed p trap?

thanks
Old 10-02-2015, 05:05 PM   #6

Electric Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr J View Post
Fresh water tank draining while driving or sitting on a slope. Has anyone added a P Trap or shut off valve to the overflow tube? Or are there other solutions to correct the problem? Any suggestions and photos of fix would help. Also is the overflow tube also used as a. Ent tube for the tank or can it be shut off after filling the tank. As always thanks for your quick responses and help.
We fitted an electric water valve in the overflow line taking the feed for it off the pump supply. This means that when the pump is switched on, water or air can flow as necessary. When the pump is switched off the valve closes and seals the tank. So you just have to remember to switch the pump on when you are filling the tank and off when you are travelling.

CAVEAT If you overfill the tank, you will get the top of the tank bulging upwards until it can be caught up on the slideout ram mechanism. The result is a large and horrible hole in the top of the tank and the tank wrenched past its restraining wood blocks in synchronisation with the movement of the slideout and multiple shouts of "Water everywhere!!""
Old Bookkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #7
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

Water overflow tube problem

It ain't pretty. Kinda hard for me to work in such a small space. Used 3/4" pvc.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1443825129.051810.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	90477Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1443825129.051810.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	90477

Old 01-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #8
from Cali

Again finding this group has made a huge difference. I've had my tank siphon dry three times and thought I was going crazy.

2015 FR3 30DS
Central Coast of California
RV Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:36 AM   #9
from Cali

I just got back from the dealer telling them the situation. They looked at me like I was crazy!!

2015 FR3 30DS
Old 01-14-2016, 01:02 PM   #10

Overflow

Well I fixed the problem with the water draining out. I took the overflow tube out and replaced it with a new longer one. Made a loop in it so the loop was above the water tank. Fixed the problem for around $4 for the new tube. Will post picture of the fix soon.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:53 PM   #11

Overflow Tube

Just got back from the MH storage and thought I would share the picture of how I fixed the problem of the water overflow. Replaced the clear tube with a longer one, added a conduit u-bracket to hold it up. Re-sealed around the tube at the bottom and added two wire ties to hold the tube in place. Real simple to do and it fixed the problem.

Name:	Ducky Due-13.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	98423
Old 02-03-2016, 12:06 AM   #12

Fr says add three loops on top of the tank. I just purchased extra hose and a nipple and three hose clamps. Fixed fine.
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #13
from Cali

I'm glad the single loop help you but I don't see how one loop could solve the problem. I frequently siphon water from a large lobster tank with a similar size hose and the loop in the hose doesn't prevent siphoning thing at all. First of all why does the overflow draw from the bottom of the tank? Wouldn't it just make more sense to put it at the top? Anyway, so Forest River is saying to add three loops? Why are they providing some sort of retrofit kit?

Thanks for any input. Sorry if I'm a little frustrated. I just don't understand why they decided to reinvent the wheel when obviously this set up has been used in RVs for years. Maybe there is a logical explanation for this design.

2015 FR3 30DS
Old 02-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Pilot View Post
I'm glad the single loop help you but I don't see how one loop could solve the problem. I frequently siphon water from a large lobster tank with a similar size hose and the loop in the hose doesn't prevent siphoning thing at all. First of all why does the overflow draw from the bottom of the tank? Wouldn't it just make more sense to put it at the top? Anyway, so Forest River is saying to add three loops? Why are they providing some sort of retrofit kit?

Thanks for any input. Sorry if I'm a little frustrated. I just don't understand why they decided to reinvent the wheel when obviously this set up has been used in RVs for years. Maybe there is a logical explanation for this design.
2015 FR3 30DS
You are correct. I only go back to the year 2000 in a Motorhome and this issue was the same then. Georgie Boy fix was to add a loop upward in vent tube (overflow) for their Cruise Master Motorhome. Fixed it then and apparently now. Did my 2012 FR Georgetown the second day after purchase. Some things never change.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 12:21 PM   #15

FR will fix under warranty. I decided not to as there is not a dealer in the area worthy to touch my coach as nothing they have ever fixed has stayed fixed. Call make an appointment wait three weeks, drive 30 miles, leave the coach for two weeks to then find they still have not made the repair ETC ETC ETC..

I have no idea why three loops, but it works. I also do not know why it will siphon out so much. So for $10 and 10 minutes of my time it was fixed.

Many of the fixes I have made are due to not so logical methods of construction general piss poor quality.
b1barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr J View Post
Well I fixed the problem with the water draining out. I took the overflow tube out and replaced it with a new longer one. Made a loop in it so the loop was above the water tank. Fixed the problem for around $4 for the new tube. Will post picture of the fix soon.
please send photo of how you got to tank
james.leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:55 PM   #17

water draining out overflow
Old 06-29-2016, 08:06 PM   #18

water siphoning out over flow tube
Old 07-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.leonard View Post
please send photo of how you got to tank
Ref. Post #11. To get to the tank you have to remove the black panel. The one inside the side compartment just above the drain tubes. Left panel off, gives me more places to store small items used to wash the unit. Just a note, some have to add two - three loops to stop water from braining.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:11 PM   #20

Thanks drivemsafe for the great and simple fix. Made it this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	112975  
JBDALHB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water