RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-19-2020, 12:54 PM   #1

Water Pump started then quit.

Winterizing my 2016 FR3 30 DS, which I have done since we bought it. I had drained the water heater, then was going start drawing up the antifreeze via the water pump.

I have the valves to the water heater OFF and my pump valve set to draw water from the hose that leads to the antifreeze bottle. Turned on the water pump and it started, then stopped. It doesn't do anything with the switch on, no hum, just dead.

any thoughts? i've checked fuses but other than that i'm stumped. Been doing this now for 4 years the same way; i have written my own step by step instructions i follow each year and have never had this issue.

as a side note, the water pump was working perfectly 3 weeks ago when we did a long weekend in a state park with no water hook ups.
Urban_FR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 12:57 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Are you able to test for voltage at the water pump with a multimeter or a 12v test light?

Basic checking of 12v power is the first step in troubleshooting electrical issues.

Do other 12v items work?
Are you plugged into shore power?
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '17=30 '18=51 '19=58 '20=98
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
Site Team

Did you open a faucet somewhere (or did I miss that)? If you didn't, the pump built up pressure and the pressure switch killed the electricity.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 = 108; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:58 AM   #4

That happens every now and then with my 2015 FR3 30DS. I just shake the pump a little and off it goes. I think the pressure switch or flow switch on the end of the pump housing ( not sure which it is ) must get stuck a little or maybe an air bubble causes the issue but a little shake is all I've ever needed.

Good luck
colmbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #5

There is also a valve to open on the antifreeze hose, right before it enters the pump.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:27 PM   #6

I have also tapped the water pump with the handle of a screwdriver a few time and mine started. Maybe a stuck valve or junk in the pump.
FishRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishRich View Post
I have also tapped the water pump with the handle of a screwdriver a few time and mine started. Maybe a stuck valve or junk in the pump.
Probably not valve or junk. I'd suspect a sticky pressure switch or possibly a brush on the motor stuck in it's holder.

Might consider preparing for the future as either of these could get worse.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #8
Just as confused as you

I only use my WP for winterizing. Sometimes the check valve on the WP sticks after setting all winter because of the natural stickiness of the AF. If I don't flush out the AF from the WP in the spring, the stuck check valve allows pressure to stay in the pump even if I open a faucet before starting the pump when I winterize the following fall. The solution was easy to figure out after it took me three seasons to realize the cause of the problem.
Camping since 1989
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
I deserve hazard pay when camping with my relatives.
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_FR3 View Post
Winterizing my 2016 FR3 30 DS, which I have done since we bought it. I had drained the water heater, then was going start drawing up the antifreeze via the water pump.

I have the valves to the water heater OFF and my pump valve set to draw water from the hose that leads to the antifreeze bottle. Turned on the water pump and it started, then stopped. It doesn't do anything with the switch on, no hum, just dead.

any thoughts? i've checked fuses but other than that i'm stumped. Been doing this now for 4 years the same way; i have written my own step by step instructions i follow each year and have never had this issue.

as a side note, the water pump was working perfectly 3 weeks ago when we did a long weekend in a state park with no water hook ups.
Had exactly the same problem, after wiggling a few wires at the back end of pump it would run intermittently. There are two wires coming out of the rear part of the pump and by putting pressure on the red one it would stay running. I took apart pump and there is an electrical switch that is triggered by the pressure switch. It looks like it is just a cheap part and no way to really fix it and I don't know if a person could even buy the part.

Put pump back together and it worked fine but by putting pressure on the wire again it would quit working so for now it works work but for how long I don't know.

Going to buy a new pump before next outing.

Tags
pump, water, water pump