Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 08:25 AM   #1

Water Tank issue

2016 FR3 30DS, my water tank collapsed, put water in it and blew out the over flow and it seemed OK but on a trip last week dry camping the tank collapsed again. Anyone with the same issue?
Fireretiredgfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #2

Yes, the tanks are not vented right.
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:41 AM   #3

how did you fix the problem?
Old 06-14-2016, 09:09 AM   #4

We typically install a loop or two inline with the vent hose. You'll also notice after you fill it up to the point it starts overflowing (tank will be bulging if you take a look), it'll start siphon water out of your tank for a while. I think I bought my replacement vent tubing from Lowes that was long enough to include a couple loops.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #5

If you can get at the tank top its not hard to install an extra vent line, thats what I did with winnie to stop the siphon effect and provide proper venting
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #6

the factory has one loop in the vent hose alleady I will give some thought to adding some additional hose but I am leaning in the direction of adding an additional vent.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:58 PM   #7

My easy fix was to buy a radiator flush t and drill a hole in the cap. I then put this inline in the overflow tube at the top of the tank. The hole in the cap acts as a vacuum break.

If the loop fills completely with water it will still collapse the tank, that is why it needs a place to suck air from the top to prevent the siphon.
KYSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:41 AM   #8

Again, l took mine back to the dealership for this issue and they had it for 1/2 the summer and never even touched it but told me they fixed the issue. Forest River should have never put this product out on the market with all these issues and design flaws! I mean for Pete sakes, we put a man on the moon didn't we? That had to be much harder that making a water tank that breathes.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:43 AM   #9

KYSam, can u provide a picture of the mod?
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 01:18 PM   #10

unless boondocking where you absolutely need a full tank, you could instead fill it about 2/3 ( guesstimate). This should help with the tank collapsing, or even siphoning. If you fill it full you can open the dump valve for about 30 secs. That has proven to be able to solve the problem. If you truly want a full tank, you will need to do what KansasFR3 mentions.
Combatcoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:28 PM   #11

I will post a picture of my setup when I can, but the attached picture shows the t that I used.

You will need to drill a hole in the cap to let air into the drain line which prevents the siphon.

There is no need for loops of hose if you use this method. Just place the t as close to the tank vent as possible.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2016, 02:23 AM   #12

That "T" fitting, what size is it, must be like 1/2". I've never measured the hose.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:56 AM   #13

It is 3/4. You can buy it from any auto parts store.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYSam View Post
It is 3/4. You can buy it from any auto parts store.

Thanks KYSam! Any chance of a picture of your install?
Old 06-17-2016, 03:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne and sherry View Post
Yes, the tanks are not vented right.
X2 The vent hose loop is the fix. Most FW tanks have a "droopy vent hose" which allows water to siphon your FW out of the tank. If your tank is collapsing, you probably have a stopped up vent hose.
Replace the entire vent hose with a hose long enough to make a verticle loop and secure the loop at the top from falling to horizontal. I've seen this happen!! Make sure the top of the loop is higher than the FW tank.
I don't personally recommend two loops as water can get trapped in the bottom of one loop and not allow venting. You can blow the water out, but no need to make a problem.
Make sure there is a screen in or over the exit to the vent line as critters will homestead in there given the chance. You can just wad up a piece of screen wire and stuff it in as long as air can get past it.
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water, water tank