Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2018, 12:47 PM   #1

weep hole covers

It seems Forest River has cut costs by not installing weep hole covers on FR3s. I have a 2018 FR3 DS that has wind noise coming from the weep holes on the driver and passenger window.The dealers fix was to place tape over the weep holes (WRONG). I thought I was the only one but I talked another FR3 owner to find out he cannot talk to his wife because of the noise. Reviewing the Forum I find there is more than two Forest River owners who have weep hole problems. If you talk to a Forest River Representative, if you can, they will tell you they don't have them or it did not come with them. This is wrong! It is all about cost. I found the cost for me to buy weep hole covers from Pelland was two dollars apiece. Drivers and passenger window requires four each. The cost to have eight weep hole covers was approximately $22.00 with shipping.

By the way Customer Rep has not returned my phone call. Maybe he is looking for weep hole covers.

They will tell you that is part of owning a motorhome but once again this is wrong!

Next week I will discuss quality control and warranty work. Don't look for a good report card.
homeru12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 12:55 PM   #2

Do not install covers in the bottom holes. This is for water drainage.
Mine came with them in the bottom and caused water to back up and leak in.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:53 AM   #3

weep holes

I just looked at my window frame, there are no top holes for covers. Do you have a answer to the wind noise coming from the weep holes. The covers I purchased do not block the holes just covers them.
homeru12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 03:04 PM   #4

Wanting to reduce noise, my search of sources in and around our FR3 cockpit are, the "doghouse" inspection revealed a weatherstripping so poorly sealed that hot air and sound would blast into the cockpit.

If you complain about your AC not working, this was a huge factor for comfort while driving. If you complain about excess noise, this was a huge factor for comfort while trying to speak to a passenger.

Using real rubber expanding weatherstrip, filling the poorly formed doghouse cover to floor channel fit can be a HUGE benefit if your FR3 is like our 2014 DS25.

Once this area is properly sealed, you will then notice other sources of sound.

Side windows in our FR3 then became one of the loudest sources of noise. Inspecting the windows only served to instill resignation that short of sealing the entire window with sound deadening, there was little else effective enough to be worth blocking the side mirror view. If I wanted to throw $$$ at the problem, there are double insulated windows at a cost that I don't have the courage to investigate.(non-wealthy human!)

Others who have walked this path have reported the windshield on FR3s' are not well sealed from FR, that removal/re-seal with lots of tubes of black sealer can make a big difference.

FR3s' are built to a price point, results of your noise reductions efforts may vary.

In the end, a set of BOSE(and others) noise cancelling headphones are your friend. You can wear them in comfort for hours, speaking to each other with the built in microphones.

Noise can induce fatigue more quickly than almost any other factor while driving, its a useful tactic to allow for a more alert driving experience.
repsolgamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 05:44 PM   #5

I think my noise is coming from the mirrors. I have tried turning them some and it seems to help.
Fr3 Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:32 PM   #6

I think the noise is coming from the co-pilot. I put in ear plugs and it seems to help.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:58 AM   #7

Where exactly are the weep holes located that make so much noise
I had to unbolt the doghouse and relocate it and reinstall the bolts made a big difference in noise and heat coming in
Also installed some sound proofing under the coach in the cab area
frankie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:46 AM   #8
Curiouser and Curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
I think the noise is coming from the co-pilot. I put in ear plugs and it seems to help.
A rare, real, laugh out loud. Thanks for the endorphins this morning!
Old 12-25-2018, 07:52 AM   #9

I added another layer of sound proofing and rubber stripping on doghouse cover. Makes a big
difference!
Frameman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:33 AM   #10

I have a decibel meter app on my phone after doing all the sound proofing I read about going on the interstate at 60mph the meter is around 83/85 decibels dw infinity is around 80/82 I think conversation has more to do with the distance between the seats and just the larger space than in a car
frankie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 08:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie D View Post
I think conversation has more to do with the distance between the seats and just the larger space than in a car
Yep, that's the reason I use to avoid it.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover