Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2018, 11:53 AM   #21

Before you sign for (accept and pay for) the unit, you should do a thorough PDI. Should take you about three hours using one of the extensive PDI lists posted on this and other forums. Any dealership that doesn't allow you to inspect the unit before accepting it is one I wouldn't deal with.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Before you sign for (accept and pay for) the unit, you should do a thorough PDI. Should take you about three hours using one of the extensive PDI lists posted on this and other forums. Any dealership that doesn't allow you to inspect the unit before accepting it is one I wouldn't deal with.
2.5 hour PDI in a heated/enclosed bay. Touched every button, opened every door, inspected everything. Very impressed with the dealer, Total Value RV! Drove away with a full tank of LP, a full tank of gas, winterized... and even a fruit basket!
Griswards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:54 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswards View Post
2.5 hour PDI in a heated/enclosed bay. Touched every button, opened every door, inspected everything. Very impressed with the dealer, Total Value RV! Drove away with a full tank of LP, a full tank of gas, winterized... and even a fruit basket!
Did you speak with Scott Moody, the RV Whisperer?

I did enjoy speaking with Scott, two years ago. I almost purchased my FR3 28DS from Total Value RV. They had the best price but I could not get time off work to drive it home. But I was able to use their quote to get a lower price at a local Dealer.

I am sure you will enjoy your FR3.

Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:19 PM   #24

Yes! I said hello and thank you to the RV Whisperer for his 32DS YouTube video! 😁
Griswards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #25

We purchased a new 2019 FR Cherokee Grey Wolf 26RR toy hauler back in May. As first time buyers we learned a thing or two:

1. Definitely video the PDI as other posters suggest. With experience you won’t need it but it’s good to have at the outset especially as a newbie. Lots to remember otherwise.

2. Aside from checking components, check cosmetic as well (moldings, cabinets, even the underbelly). And if you find any issues, no matter how picayune or inconsequential they may seem, have them taken care of BEFORE you drive it off the lot, especially if you aren’t purchasing from a local dealer. Cosmetic issues are only warrantied for 90 days. While FR actually pays their dealers for time to inspect the units when they receive them and take care of any issues BEFORE putting them up for sale to the public, not all of them do. Ours clearly didn’t. We found missing moldings, waffled door moldings, a grease splotch on the bedspread, unsecured wires on the underbelly, caulking on some of the exterior vents that needed to be redone – things like that. Take your time and leave no stone unturned.

3. I suggest you call FR customer relations with the VIN and ask about its history. Even if it’s brand new, they can tell you when the dealer took delivery (and, therefore, how long it’s been sitting on the lot) and if there were any damage claims along the way. We dealt with Kate Ankney (260-499-2100 ext. 74164 kankney@forestriverinc.com) and she was very helpful, although there may be a different POC for the model you’re looking at so check their website.

4. Make sure the dealer gives you the manuals and model/serial number for all working components (fridge, AC, toilet, water heater, etc.). These are warrantied through the manufacturer and some want you to register on-line. In our case, the manuals were thrown in a drawer with other random papers.

5. If you can, plan on taking it on a 2-3 night “shake-down” at a campground local to the dealer as soon as you drive it off the lot - especially if you’re purchasing far from where you live. While they run all of the systems at the PDI, there’s nothing like putting it through real-life paces over a couple of days to hopefully ferret out any hidden issues. Even though everything worked out for us in the end, we sorely regret not making the time to do this.

6. Go on FR’s website and read the warranty to understand what it covers. It’s not “bumper-to-bumper” by any means. Again, cosmetic issues are only warrantied for the 1st 90 days and components are warrantied through the individual manufacturers.

7. A word about getting warranty work done: We found out there’s a reason why FR stresses to “buy local”. In our case we live in TN but purchased at Holman Motors in OH (no one closer had the model we were looking for and we didn’t want to pay to special order). There were a few cosmetic issues we missed at the PDI so we took it to a FR dealer near our home in TN. They were ok with doing the work but only if we paid for it up front and then submitted a claim to FR for reimbursement. No problem, right? Well, FR didn’t like that. Seems they under-cut the dealer’s labor rate on warranty work – which is why most dealers don’t like to – and in many cases won’t - do warranty work on units they didn’t sell. FR eventually paid up but not before numerous denials, excuses and a lot of back and forth. So if you have any issues, I strongly suggest you take pictures and contact FR customer relations for pre-approval, especially if you’re not getting the work done at the dealer you purchased from.

So that’s my seven cents worth. All in all, despite our initial naivety, we’re very pleased with our purchase and, knock on wood, haven’t had any major issues even after our first 3K mile trip in October. You’re smart to query the forum before jumping in. In hind-sight, wish we had done the same.

Good luck and happy camping!
Nancy O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #26

Your Going to Love it

Congratulations on your new purchase. I own a 28ft FR3. I have had several experiences with this rig. If you have any questions or need any help e-mail or call me anytime. I am sure I have already been through it and can answer your questions. Would be happy to help you. I especially understand the leveling and pop out systems well. I have done most of my own maintenence. Your going to love it. Good luck
tometrious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:30 PM   #27

What to look for during purchase?

Where can I get this pdi list? Thanks
Rodne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:40 AM   #28

Check out this list for your PDI. Happy hunting and I hope you find piece of mind in your purchase . As you use it you will always find something later. (Just nature of the beast).

RV Inspection Checklist

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote