Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2020, 10:18 AM   #21

Should I tell this one? Ok, you twisted my arm.

Two days before leaving on a trip, I was cutting grass with my riding mower. RV was parked on front driveway with both slides out over grass. I was cutting as close to MH as possible watching out for slides. Well, rear slide sticks further out than front one. Wacked my head on the corner, was temporarily disoriented and ran across sidewalk and into front of house. Gained my senses and was going to restart mower and backup when I noticed that the MH power cable that was plugged into outside outlet was cut in half. Pulled cable out from under mower and moved mower. It was around 6pm, so I called Camping World to see when they closed. My Leprechaun MH cable is wired to an electrical box in a small compartment unlike most that have cable that plugs/screws into outlet on side of RV. The cable is stored in that compartment. I managed to get the cable undone (not easy to do) so I could match up at CW. Rushed down there and bought cable, plugs, etc., etc.

After a bit of thinking, I used the short piece of the original cable with male end and wired to the electrical box. If I had taken time to think everything out, I could have just put a plug on the end of the cut cable and not have had to unhook from electrical box. But, in some situations, we don't always think too straight. I use an extension cord now and also have original cable and new plugs for it if should ever need it.

Everything works fine, no further problems and trip got off on time. Well, maybe not exactly on time, no matter how ready we are, we never leave when we say we are going to. Usually a few hours latter than planned, even when leaving camp grounds. Ron
Old 05-13-2020, 11:51 AM   #22
Trailer Park Supervisor

I would have paid to see video of that! Nothing worse than unexpectedly whacking your head on the tractor (other than causing all that damage!). I learned my lesson of wearing a ball cap while mowing this way. Bad enough whacking a branch, worse when you can't see it!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I would have paid to see video of that! Nothing worse than unexpectedly whacking your head on the tractor (other than causing all that damage!). I learned my lesson of wearing a ball cap while mowing this way. Bad enough whacking a branch, worse when you can't see it!
That's probably what happened, I always wear a ball cap. Usually the ball cap provides some protection. I think a better video would be when I was on another riding mower, 15 or so years ago, and accidentally put it in reverse while on the street in front of my house. I quickly put it back in forward, it stood up and wouldn't come down. There in the middle of the street going in circles and couldn't get off without getting hurt. The brake pedal staring me in the face, I pushed it and mower came down. Same mower, going through ditch slowly with blade off and eased off (maybe not easy enough) the brake. Mower stood up and came back over on me, this time key was staring me in the face, turned key off and looked around to see if anyone was looking.

You know, maybe I should stick with a non-power push mower. Ron
Old 05-14-2020, 09:37 AM   #24
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
You know, maybe I should stick with a non-power push mower. Ron
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:48 PM   #25

A few state campgrounds in NM are open now. The forests are open for dispersed camping. We are fortunate to have inherited some acreage on the Guadalupe river in the foothills of the Jemez mountains. We go for the busy weekends and have the place to ourselves. Everyone in our family is either retired, still working, or getting paid well to stay home. We are blessed.
Old 05-18-2020, 08:55 PM   #26

Slide out jammed!!

We were planning on leaving in the morning and were hitched up and ready before supper. BUT after supper my Dear Wife ran the slide out and then back in while hitched and unlevel. As the slide-out was brought in the stop-cup on the actuator rod ran right in to the hole in the frame and jammed the mechanism. The hand crank was useless; I dropped part of the belly liner and couldn’t find the fault. Finally in desperation I called a friend that runs an RV Repair business and he told me to checkout that stop-cup. Sure enough the cup was the problem and after some serious cranking on a big wrench the cup was free. I properly realigned the cup on the actuator and all has been well.
LESSON: Use the slide-outs when you are on the level!!
Kamper Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:46 PM   #27

Our one trip out last year, we had a strap on our fuel tank break. Tank drug the ground creating a hole. Someone pulled up beside us on the interstate and said we were losing fuel. We exited and pulled into a parking lot where we continued to dump about 40 gallons of diesel. We ended up with 5 hazmat trucks there trying to keep it out of the storm drains. Good Sam towed the truck and we paid someone to come pick up the 5er and take her home. Good Sam eventually paid for that too. Fortunately we were only about 40 miles out, but we lost the entire trip waiting on a replacement tank.
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 12:28 AM   #28

The evening before leaving decided to replace the EGR.

No biggie... pull the old one, screw in the new one, 4 minute job and still a hour before dark.

Aluminum head. EGR snapped of flush with the engine. Ended up EGR was fine.

Visions of waiting until Monday or Tuesday to leave (this was Friday. Lots of $ to fix.

Spend a couple of hours fixing it, using a dremel tool to cut a slot out of the broken part and bent it to get it out of the slot.

Lots of sealer, and I never did that again.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:36 AM   #29

Only one thing to add. The best solder to use for tinning stranded copper wire is electrical-grade rosin-core solder. This is an acid-free solder that contains a flux in the core of the solder. Never use solder that contains acid, which can damage the wire or its insulation. Acid-core solder is intended for use in plumbing applications.
ER17453361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:38 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswards View Post
Was putting some stuff in rear right storage and noticed a hairline crack on the edge of where the roller meets the.bottom of the slideout. Anyone experience this before? 2018, 7K miles. Hesitant to put any tape etc on it and risk messing slide up before a 3 week trip. I don't believe any water lines etc go through that bedroom slide area but it almost feels weak to the touch? Ideas?
I had major problems with my bedroom slide. Had the same thought as you, it doesn't seem like water goes through that area. An experienced RV repairman who I talked to on the phone at Amish Family RV (they specialize in Cedar Creeks) told me it was a common problem to have no caulking in the T-molding where the wall and floor meet.

Mine doesn't have the roller like yours, but I started seeing a sag and then a crack and when I pushed on it, water came out. I peeled back some of the damaged finish and found it soaked inside, the wood blackened with mold and even tiny mushrooms sprouting.

After much arguing with Cedar Creek (I had just passed the 1-year manufacturer's warranty and the extended warranty wouldn't cover it because it's water damage), they agreed to repair it but I had to tow it to Indiana. The whole slide was pulled out and rebuilt. It was a huge hassle but good as new now.
jessa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 04:37 AM   #31

It wasn't a project gone awry, but at 1:15 a.m. before a 7:00 a.m. departure leaving Seattle for Jay Peak, VT, I had a kidney stone decide to depart my kidney instead. I passed it by 8:15a.m. and after sleeping for a few hours, we left only 8 hours late.
Rightseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:34 PM   #32

Went out to run the generator and put a load on by running the AC's. Genny started right up but AC's wouldn't come on. Checked the circuit breakers in the panel - all ok. Went outside and checked the circuit breakers on the genny - all ok. I figure something was wrong with the AC's so I opened the compartment to get out the power cord to plug into the pedstal on the side of the garage. When I pulled out the storage container, the power cord wasn't plugged into the receptical. As soon as I plugged it in both AC's started. I was about to call the mobile RV tech. That would have been a $200 lesson.
Highwaymann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #33
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswards View Post
Was putting some stuff in rear right storage and noticed a hairline crack on the edge of where the roller meets the.bottom of the slideout. Anyone experience this before? 2018, 7K miles. Hesitant to put any tape etc on it and risk messing slide up before a 3 week trip. I don't believe any water lines etc go through that bedroom slide area but it almost feels weak to the touch? Ideas?

Forest River and other companies sell stainless steel plates that fit between the roller and the slide for this kind of damage. The rollers then run on the plates, spreading the force out a lot.

You need to lift the edge of the slide up slightly so the plate can be slid under each roller path. Then the plates get screwed to the bottom and caulked. You need to be certain you do not open the slide fully before lifting it or you can bust up the inside trim when it gets levered against the wall.

If you’re lucky the damage is just superficial and then the plates can go right on.

Ray
Old 05-22-2020, 10:42 AM   #34

I had to change my coach batteries the day before we left to colorado.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:15 PM   #35

One of my worst was September 2018. I was just out of warranty with a dead slide on a Labor Day weekend. I opened the slides to pack the FR3 & could not close the living room slide to leave. See quote below:

Stuck in my Driveway with a dead living room slide motor
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I was going to take a trip on Friday. I was able to retract the bedroom slide. But when I push the IN button on the living room slide, "click."

At least I was in my own driveway with a stuck slide. I checked both of the 12v circuit breakers in the fuse panel. They were both good. So today I started removing the crown molding. I removed the screws but was only able to remove one layer of trim. The next layer was nailed on with pin staples. There was no way to remove the molding. I will post pictures tomorrow.

I was finally able to remove enough wood to get to the motor. Four wires go to the motor and relays. (Hot, ground, IN & OUT) There was one relay for IN & the another was for OUT. That was the clicking noise. I unplugged the motor and put a meter on the motor control wires. I measured 13.5v positive when switched IN & 13.5v negative when switched OUT. Relay & wires were good.

I plugged the motor back in and motor ran for a second when my son pushed the switch. He tried it again and the relays just clicked.

No RV shops are open until Tuesday. Tomorrow I will remove the motor to look at it. How could the motor be bad?

Forest River did not build the crown moulding to be remove. They use pin stable and wood putty. Maybe they thought it would never need any maintenance. I also did not receive any flexible shafts to manually move the slide in case of motor failure. I will use screws when I reassemble the crown moulding so I can get to the motor easier next time.

The motor does not look like the motors in to BAL Accu-Slide service manual. It looks like this one in the YouTube below. Does anybody know what kind of slide motor this is?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:22 PM   #36

Not the LAST night before leaving, and not with an RV, but Hurricane Ike came to visit about 38 hours before a 2-week tent camping trip. That will give one pause...especially since Ike was my first hurricane rodeo. We either prepared properly or were lucky: we had no damage to our Sticks&Bricks.
flosmith is offline   Reply With Quote