Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2020, 08:39 AM   #1

What's your worst 'night before leaving' project?

Anyone else ever just look at that foam mattress at the 11th hour before a trip and think.... I really hate how that king size mattress hangs over the edges ofr the bed platform... and get out the knife and...

Griswards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:44 AM   #2

I want to hear the rest of the story......
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #3
Don't Camp Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I want to hear the rest of the story......
X2

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMURPHY View Post
X2

Haha! Felt like a deranged mad man, or someone looking for the cash, but got it all back together without slicing my leg off and told my wife...

It's a bit frumpy, but aren't we all?

Old 05-12-2020, 08:53 AM   #5

Never apply to be a RV Teck or a Meat Cutter! Youroo!!
Old 05-12-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
WFD

now it looks too short....
Old 05-12-2020, 09:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
now it looks too short....
LOL! That's exactly what I was thinking. Now where is that foam glue?
I liked the part where the OP did the deed, THEN told his wife. Now that's bravery! Maybe.....
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:29 AM   #8
KSH

I bought an electric knife from harbor freight. Trims the foam mattress perfectly.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 01:16 PM   #9
Retired Member

Installed 5th wheel hitch evening before pulling my unit for the first time. Had to install brackets to frame under truck bed and then rails in truck bed. Bad weather rolled in and lost power about 3 hours. Finished about midnight.
RMWSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:09 PM   #10

Was loading trailer before 7 day vacation, 5 hours away, opened fridge to load and the ammonia like to knocked me over. Lived out of ice chest for 5 days. Found mobile RV at koa camp and he ordered and repaired just in time before we headed home.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:11 PM   #11
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

My worst nightmare is a recurring one. It happens every time I have to pack clothes for an extended trip right as the seasons are changing.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:31 PM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

Wait, somebody is leaving to go somewhere? How exciting!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #13

Same old knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSH View Post
I bought an electric knife from harbor freight. Trims the foam mattress perfectly.
I just cut foam with the same old electric knife that I've used to carve turkeys for at least 30 years.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:17 PM   #14

Bad

Getting ready to leave for 60 day trip. Hitch dogbone lock was frozen locked on truck receiver. Key would not work as it had rusted shut w/ security lock. Had to call a locksmith to drill off. I know how to do it now. It took him 5 minutes $175.AHHH!
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:37 PM   #15
CC4

My worst nightmare was during a trip. We trailered from the trailer storage lot to one of our favourite campsites, disconnected the trailer and proceeded to setup camp. For some reason it had been partcularly difficult to back into the site but once accomplished I chalked it up to being the first camp trip in two years (we were in the midst of selling our house and moving the previous year so no camping). When I went out the next morning to pick up some supplies I found I was having truck problems. Some of the lights didn't come on and the turn signals were ng. I pulled in to a Lordco Lot and pulled out my circuit tester and proceeded to check the fuses. I found four burnt out fuses and although I carry a full set of fuses for the trailer I didn't have any for the truck. I went into Lordco and picked up a full set of replacement fuses and did the truck repairs and continued on my way, still not sure what had caused the fuses to blow but remembering the difficulty getting the trailer into position on the site. When I got back to the site I took a look at the trailer cabling and found that part of the cable was cut through and shorted. Although I couldn't see any problems with the operation of the trailer off of AC I proceeded to check the trailer fuses. They were all o.k. ? Next I carefully pulled the cable apart and found that four leads were cut through, two were actually shorted together, and the others had different levels of damage. Somehow the cable had gotten caught between the ball and hitch mechanism and looked like it had been crushed and shredded. It must have happened during the parking function suggesting that I had been backing the trailer into position with the trailer brakes engaged. Next morning I went out in the truck to a home hardware and purchased a connector kit and a soldering iron plus solder and flux. I already had heat shrink and electrical tape in my trailer toolkit. After having cut the connecting cable in two I stripped the wires, slid on the heat shrink sections and attached and soldered the connections in place. A butane fire starter and a few minutes and I had the heatshrink shrunk about the interior wiring, wrapped the cables with electrical tape and then slid the exterior cable heatshrink into place and heated it. My three days at the site resulted in two of them being spent re-fusing the truck and reairing the trailer cabling, but at least my wife and dog had a great time walking, hiking and swimming in the lake. When I hooked up the trailer and truck on the final morning I was hoping that everything was repaired and ready to go but had all the required tools and supplies open under the truck canopy just in case. I proceeded to drain the tanks, grey and black and flush the system, bring in the canopy and slide, shut down all the electrical and propane, and load and lock all the compartments and doors. Then start the truck and start to pull the trailer out of the site. All the lights were working and responding properly, The trailer brake control was responding correctly and at 5 kmh the trailer brakes stopped the truck and trailer movement on level ground. Normally I would have the radio pumping out as I hit the road but this time I left the cab quiet as we pulled out of the park and onto the highway. Whenever I got the chance I checked that the trailer brakes were working properly and that the trailer lights (turn signals) were responding correctly. Twenty minutes later the radio was playing and I was finally convinced that we were o.k. for the trip back to the trailer storage yard. From there all went well and two weeks later when we had another chance to camp there were no problems at all (except that the hot sauce spilled in the fridge and we had to do a major mess cleanup when we arrived at the camp site). But that only took a half hour to fix, not 2 days.
CC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:02 PM   #16
Flyboy1950

Saga not story

Wow! Loved that story! Almost a novel, though.
Sbosserman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:00 PM   #17

Really dislike electrical issues

Couple of weeks prior to de-winterizing I was checking the systems out and found some problems. No 12v from battery even though I had put power on for a few days at a time over the winter. Checked voltage and it was about 9v. Charged and it wouldn't. OK, need a battery now, old one was 2 years old. So I checked the converter output and it was all of zero volts. Great, so the converter pooped out and took the battery with it.
So a new Group 27 Interstate Marine/RV battery and a new converter that I installed myself and we are ready to go out this past weekend.

We went out Wednesday the 6th through Sunday the 10th of May at Mayberry Campground in Mt Airy, NC. It's a private campground and we did the social distancing thing quite easily.
Now to install the replacement LP Gas Alarm that croaked Friday night, sure is an annoying beep at oh butt thirty, like a smoke alarm battery dying...
Oh, well.
The joys of another home, just self-propelled.

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #18

Water tank came out of the brackets spent 5 hours reinstalling the tank resupporting and sealing up the under skirting of my 2014 Salem Hemisphere TT
northern chuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:11 PM   #19

Cracking on slide where roller hits?

Was putting some stuff in rear right storage and noticed a hairline crack on the edge of where the roller meets the.bottom of the slideout. Anyone experience this before? 2018, 7K miles. Hesitant to put any tape etc on it and risk messing slide up before a 3 week trip. I don't believe any water lines etc go through that bedroom slide area but it almost feels weak to the touch? Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200512_163436.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	228908  
Old 05-12-2020, 07:18 PM   #20

Just remember, “if it wasn’t for The Last Minute, nothing would get done!”.
Most coincidences are carefully planned
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote