Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2021, 06:38 PM   #1

Which gear for towing?

Driving 2018 FR3 29DS: Towing a vehicle on dolly. What gear is best to drive in: "Drive" or "4th gear"? HELP. First time towing.
2018 FR3 29DS
Thankful, Grateful & Blessed
GeauxMimiGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:15 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxMimiGo View Post
Driving 2018 FR3 29DS: Towing a vehicle on dolly. What gear is best to drive in: "Drive" or "4th gear"? HELP. First time towing.
If your speed is relatively constant, and no real hills, “D” is fine.
If your terrain is very hilly, and you hear the transmission constantly changing, move it to “4”.

You’ll find your engine and transmission work best around 60-65mph maximum on interstates.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:29 PM   #3

I’m commenting on the assumption that you have a Ford V10 with 6 speed transmission. A vehicle on a tow dolly behind a motorhome presents very little aerodynamic drag. On flat land, if you normally drive easily in D, that will be fine for towing. Only if the tranny does frequent shifting to 5th or 4th, would I shift to 4. If you have a tow/haul mode button, use tow haul all the time as it will greatly aid in engine braking.

As mentioned already, hilly situations may call for “4” if the transmission automatically downshifts often.

I have the V10/6speed in a somewhat lighter motorhome than the FR3 but I find D is fine for most all situations, including towing.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:43 PM   #4

Thank you so much.
2018 FR3 29DS
Thankful, Grateful & Blessed
GeauxMimiGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 03:32 PM   #5

I always use the tow-haul mode. While in dow haul, there is a gear in the transmission, that when your doing over 50, you depress the gas half way down the accelerator. That gear kicks in and it pulls up most hills without further shifting. Not mountains, but good size hills. I found that gear is not available in D, only in Tow Haul
Dc8mdtmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc8mdtmech View Post
I always use the tow-haul mode. While in dow haul, there is a gear in the transmission, that when your doing over 50, you depress the gas half way down the accelerator. That gear kicks in and it pulls up most hills without further shifting. Not mountains, but good size hills. I found that gear is not available in D, only in Tow Haul

AFAIK, It’s not a special gear. Tow/haul changes the shift points and delays or turns off overdrive. When you accelerate it is simply downshifting.
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:18 PM   #7

Use the "Tow/Haul" setting, as that's what its made for and will compensate for changes without you having to shift back and forth. When I had my class A gasser, towing a Jeep Wrangler, my transmission was always in the tow/haul mode. Plus, it does help with braking, a bit.
2008 Jeep JKS
Ready Brute Elite / Blue Ox BP
High Desert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing