Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 09:44 AM   #1

Which is better short or longer wheelbase?

We've narrowed our search for our first rv to either a gt3 30x3 or a gt3 24w.
We like the shorter coach length of the 24w for its ability to use smaller spaces - it's very similar to the FR3 25ds.
But some are telling us the drive will be squirrelly on the road especially when past by big rigs and in wind.
We are also wondering about the folding mattress.
How much difference is there in handling between a 158" and a 190" wheelbase?
Any observations about the folding mattress would be appreciated!
How important are the extra 5 feet in length to keeping the wife and I from getting on each other's nerves after a few weeks on the road?
BeyondCalif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:55 AM   #2

longer will always handle better.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:31 AM   #3

We had the Sunseeker 2500 with the folding Queen mattress. Loved the rig if I could have driven the class C in more comfort. (I'm too tall) IMHO Hated, Hated, Hated the folded mattress! When we pulled into a rest stop or anywhere for a quick nights sleep, we had to put the slide out and build the bed. If you just wanted to lay down for awhile (not optional) you would have to install the mattress topper (which you will need) and make the bed every time it was used. When we bought the FR3 30ds with the king bed (Which was Great) we kept saying how nice it was to have a fully operational bed. We, like you tried to justify that 5 feet. Now we see it is all about the layout and being comfortable with convenience.

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #4

Thank you for sharing, your insight is appreciated!
Old 07-24-2016, 11:21 AM   #5

Likewise, its so nice with the 30DS just to pull into a rest area/Walmart/Truck stop and the king bed is ready to go without sliding out the slide out. I'm not worried anyone might hitting it with a trailer. Also nice to be able to roll out of bed and leave the wife/kid in the back sleeping while I start driving down the road without too much disruption. Going from the 30DS to 25DS, you loose the couch and extra counter space in the kitchen, which we have learned we couldn't live without. Nice having different options on where to sit/lay down on a long days drive. If it were me and the 25DS is your fancy, make sure you get it weighed beforehand. Being only a 16k chassis, I'd be worry about being overweight in a hurry. We're already at the limit on our 18k chassis...Best of luck!
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:19 PM   #6

Longer is always more stable and you have better control. Longer better especially if you will be towing. I understand California has limitations in their State campgrounds on accommodating RVs? As far as maneuvering 6 feet won t be noticeable Interior room/space will be appreciated even though it s not much difference
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondCalif View Post
We like the shorter coach length of the 24w for its ability to use smaller spaces - it's very similar to the FR3 25ds.
But some are telling us the drive will be squirrelly on the road especially when past by big rigs and in wind.
How important are the extra 5 feet in length to keeping the wife and I from getting on each other's nerves after a few weeks on the road?
The handling may be better however the maneuverability will suffer especially if pulling a toad (think getting in and out of gas stations and not being able to back up). My 31' Cl C has a 220" WB and finding gas stations can be frustrating. I guess I've been lucky, only had to unhook the toad once to get out of an impossible spot.
milvet33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by milvet33 View Post
The handling may be better however the maneuverability will suffer especially if pulling a toad (think getting in and out of gas stations and not being able to back up). My 31' Cl C has a 220" WB and finding gas stations can be frustrating. I guess I've been lucky, only had to unhook the toad once to get out of an impossible spot.
Tis true, it's true- gas stations can be a problem. Our Georgetown XL is 37 ft plus toad. I try to use Flying Js most have RV lanes, some Pilots have RV lanes. You ve got to plan ahead and get gas before you really need it. Locating gas stations I start to scope the areas around pumps and store before I pull in to est the available spaces. Same was true with our Tundra and 32 ft Surveyor Select
You learn not to take chances- plan ahead - getting in and out and scope out the possibilities
twoclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #9

longer the better backing in to your space
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 04:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoclaws View Post
Tis true, it's true- gas stations can be a problem. Our Georgetown XL is 37 ft plus toad. I try to use Flying Js most have RV lanes, some Pilots have RV lanes. You ve got to plan ahead and get gas before you really need it. Locating gas stations I start to scope the areas around pumps and store before I pull in to est the available spaces. Same was true with our Tundra and 32 ft Surveyor Select
You learn not to take chances- plan ahead - getting in and out and scope out the possibilities
x2! Extremely good advice!!
SkipnTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:01 PM   #11

Quote:

We have a Georgetown 324 TSF and absolutely love it. Longer is better. We went from a Sunseeker 3050 to our Class A. You won't regret the bigger Coach.

John & Janine
Pazzo the Maltese
2014 Georgetown 328 TSF
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (Toad)

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:27 PM   #12

Very rarely have I heard some one complain that their rig was too big, but I hear many complaints that it is too small. The biggest issue with size is with TT and 5ers, and that is due to the tv being too small to pull what they have.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:42 PM   #13

Bought small 24 ft Thor Siara and hated being cramped. Fr3 30 ds is much more comfortable.

MSG (Ret)
U.S. Army
Active-duty 66-92
2015 FR3 30DS
fpo1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:57 PM   #14

We have the 190" Wheelbase Gtown. Love it for the convenience of parking and handling since we do NOT use a toad and it is just the right size for the two of us.
I didn't like the folding King used in one of the other models and we are quite happy with a non folding Queen in ours. We DID add a steering stabilizer up front after a few months of ownership and it smoothed out the steering and reduced the impact of big rigs blowing by us. Occasionally we get a bit of side to side rolling on mostly back roads with a crown and I'm thinking about adding a rear stabilizer bar to cure this but it is expensive for only an occasional problem. If you like the layout of the larger unit...go for it...the F53 190 is a good chassis and you'll easily get used to the longer length within the first few weeks. Also look carefully at underneath storage as there will be differences there you may need as well. Good luck with the decision making.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:32 PM   #15

Smile

Quote:
Longer. And about getting on each other's nerves??? I've been wanting to teach my wife to pull our 34' fifth wheel in case I need to fly home to get away from her for awhile Sometimes even our 3200 square foot home isn't big enough.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #16

Thank you fellow forum members!
You've given us some very useful insight and we really appreciate it (this is the wife writing).
Looks like we'll be getting the 30x3. Luckily for him I'll be learning how to drive it too
We're looking forward to the adventures ahead. Currently we are exploring Norway for three weeks and then we'll be saving for the purchase of the RV. In the meantime well keep looking through the forum for tips

Tags
wheel