Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2019, 12:58 PM   #1

Window lock bars continuing to break

Have a 2018 32 fr3. Experiencing the vertical bar that holds the lock mechanism for the windows continuing to break. Have had this happen to 3 windows now. Thankful it’s still under warranty so I don’t have to pay for the repairs and parts but I am curious if any other FR3 owners have run into this.
fiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:14 AM   #2

not yet
Old 04-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #3

I have this problem

This keeps happening to me on my 2018 FR3. The whole lock bar and rubber strip just fell off when I pushed on it to open window. I conversed via email with my rep at Forest River and he made some suggestions but none of them worked. I took it in to my dealer where I bought it and they repaired it but that only lasted a day or two (until I was too far away to go back!). Took it into another dealer and they fixed it but that didn't fell off in the parking lot! Showed to the people at the dealer and they ordered me a new lock bar saying it was new and improved as they have problems with the old ones. Received the new bar and rubber strip and it looked identical to what I already had. Put it on and it fell off. I have been trying to contact my FR rep again but he is not responding. Last we talked, he said if it wouldn't hold from pressure, I could use windshield urethane, which is a glue that repair folks use to hold glass and rubber together. He was going to check to see where to apply the glue but I have been waiting months to hear back from him. My one year warranty ended January 2019! Maybe that is why he stopped responding - he was just letting the clock run out? I still have a loose lock bar. Only way to open the driver sliding window is to push on the glass surface to get it to slide forward. And the window is not locked so I leave the bar leaning there so it looks like it is locked.
jimlitwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:38 PM   #4

Lock bar falls off

Continuing my story, the lock bar fell off the window in early March 2018, over a year ago. I have been trying to get it fixed for over a year. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can't seem to get enough force to push the bar over the rubber strip far enough for it to hold. Do I have to remove the whole window and use some kind of clamp to push the bar on? How would I remove the window? Thanks.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:41 PM   #5

Lock bar falls off

Forgot to mention this has only happened on the driver side window that slides forward. Passenger side is fine as are all other windows that have this same lock bar. I will say that the driver sliding window is a little stickier than the other windows so had a to use a little more strength to open it before it fell off. I'm sure this contributed to the problem although it wasn't THAT hard to open.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #6

Lock bar falls off

My FR3 is a 30ds - 2018.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #7

I’ve had this happen with 3 different windows in my 32ds. One of the bunk windows had it happen twice. It’s all been repaired under warrant work but I’m worried it’s going to continue to happen.
fiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #8

Use 3M Scotch VHB tape. It's labeled Permanent Double-Sided Extreme Mounting Tape. This is the same stuff that adheres the body side moldings and emblems on your vehicle. Available online or at Home Depot. Clean the glass and rail thoroughly and wipe with alcohol. Allow to dry. Wet the rail and tape with water and press over the glass. Tap it with a block of wood if necessary. The water acts as a lubricant and will dry. Trim any excess tape with a razor blade.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #9

Thanks, that's the first positive suggestion I've had in a long time! I'll have to see how thin the tape is. Remember there is a rubber gasket that goes over the window edge first and THEN you place the metal bar over that. I just heard from my FR rep and he said to put a few drops of windshield urethane over the rubber gasket and then press the metal bar over that. Maybe I could try the 3M tape to hold the rubber gasket to the edge of the glass and then use the urethane to hold the rubber to the metal bar?
Old 04-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #10

If yours are like mine, it will happen again. It's just pressure that holds it on place.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #11

As you mentioned, the rubber just uses pressure to hold the rail in place. The rubber dries and shrinks over time and the rail slides off. Replace the rubber with the VHB tape. You may need to find thicker tape or double it up.

If you decide to use windshield urethane adhesive, you'll need to apply a pinch weld primer to the rail and prep the glass with an etching primer. The glass also needs a special primer.
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock, window