Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2024, 02:50 PM   #1

Windshield wiper pivot post

The Windshield wiper pivot post on the passenger side is locked up. Bad bearing?

I removed the long arm between the two & the driver side post is fine. Does anyone know how get to the bearings?

Thanks
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 02:57 PM   #2

May have to replace the post assembly. Many older cars are a sealed assembly. Never taken a new one apart. So I am guessing here.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2024, 06:06 PM   #3

Welcome to Forest River Forums!

DogMan635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 03:21 PM   #4

Got a quote from AM Equipment for $709.15 for the Wiper motor assembly. (plus shipping)

Click image for larger version

Name:	AMP238-2060.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	300846
Old 06-11-2024, 03:42 PM   #5

removing the center arm leaves one connected to wiper motor
if you can find the arm at the motor and disconnect you can tell if it is a frozen wiper bearing/bushing/arm or the motor

I would not hesitate to use some of your favorite spray lubricant where you thing the bearing would be in the post
wiggle it without motor connected to work it in place

NO idea how yours is assembled but every wiper motor and arm combo I have ever seen kinda works that way?

so this is an educated guess without seeing one of yours
Old 06-11-2024, 05:31 PM   #6

Contact FR3 Parts Admin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
The Windshield wiper pivot post on the passenger side is locked up. Bad bearing?

I removed the long arm between the two & the driver side post is fine. Does anyone know how get to the bearings?

Thanks
Why not contact the FR3 Parts Administrator and ask who they buy the wiper assembly from? Then contact them and get just the post. Looks like it's Greg Wagner or Kathy Wing. Click the image twice to enlarge it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forester-sunseeker-FR3-Georgetown.png
Views:	12
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	300848  
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 07:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Got a quote from AM Equipment for $709.15 for the Wiper motor assembly. (plus shipping)

This is a photo of my FR3:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Why not contact the FR3 Parts Administrator and ask who they buy the wiper assembly from? Then contact them and get just the post. Looks like it's Greg Wagner or Kathy Wing. Click the image twice to enlarge it.
AM Equipment makes the wiper assembly part #238-2060. It is not the same as below. The one in my FR3 has a curved pipe between the posts. They are built to NHSA (National Highway Safety Administration) standards.

Old 06-13-2024, 08:52 AM   #8

Disassembly

Quote:
Does anyone know how get to the bearings?

Thanks
Typically, you first remove the wiper arm. On your model, it's held on by the force of the spring that holds the arm against the windshield. You would lift with one hand around the wiper arm and a finger of the other hand on the opposite side. Pull with most force on the finger, so forces on the cap are equal on both sides, and the wiper arm should pop right off. (All the cars in the '50s, '60s, and '70s work this way. Some still do.)

Beneath the arm you should see a hex nut. There might be a decorative cover or weather seal above it. Turn the nut to the left, and the shaft assembly should drop out.

If necessary, you could do this on both sides and remove what is called the entire "wiper transmission."

CAUTION: Avoid removing the arm that attaches to the wiper motor itself. It is positioned so the wipers park at the extreme end of travel. It is very difficult to get that arm positioned exactly the same way, so the wipers park at the extreme position. Ask me how I know.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote