Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #1

Would rather rave than rant – but that's not going to happen today!

Rant #1

Working hard to get the FR3 DS 25 prepped for the big trip this summer, California to Maine to California. Did the same trip two years ago after picking up our new DS 25 with few "real" problems, a shake out 7500 mile trip is an excellent way to highlight the warranty issues that needed to be addressed upon our return to the selling dealer.

At first, our dealer was very helpful and addressed all of the warranty issues – including fixing some issues we were unaware of. These were major problems i.e. the coach air-conditioning did not work, and a front door replacement. Since there was a lot of bodywork to be done to replace the door, and other major problems with we didn't mind much of having to leave it there for more than a couple of weeks in repair since we really had not planned on taking another trip after coming back from our huge adventure.

Now it's obvious that the coach air conditioning is now out of service again, a quick inspection while the engine was running highlighted that fact by confirming the AC compressor fan clutch was not engaging.

Further inspection during the oil change I had done, revealed some other issues that are quite common to this model. The rear sway bar mount bracket had broken, and of course the broken parts were hanging down loose looking pretty sad. No wonder I was having so many problems trying to keep this thing going down the road straight, with only one sway bar mount all it wanted to do was wobble back-and-forth depending on the wind or steering wheel inputs.

The last problem I noticed was quite terrifying. It looks like during either manufacture or servicing, the brake lines between the master cylinder and the ABS system module were savagely pulled out, breaking all of the mounting clips, about 10 of them in a row. Not only that but all of the brake lines, the stainless steel portion were bent and twisted, having been pulled out from behind the "C" channel of the frame rail. To think that this might have been this way since delivery is scary and quite concerning. I have no idea if the brake lines are possibly fractured or when they might just burst.

Set up an appointment with my formerly helpful selling dealer, arranged an appointment and arrived on time to be told that "that's not something we fix anymore".

You would think that this dealer would have appreciated our business more, since we did purchase a costly extended warranty that apparently is not good enough for them to continuing servicing our FR3.

Sadly, I believe it is a sign of this dealer going out of business, and makes me sad to think we had placed our trust in them and told people nice things about them.

Want to do the right thing both for our motorhome, as well as trying to be a standup type guy.

What is my next step now that I am on my own?
repsolgamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:25 PM   #2

take it up with Forest River. If this dealer won't help you there should be another that Forest River could recommend to comply with warranty issues.

https://www.visitedstatesmap.com/image/NCTNVAsm.jpg
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:28 PM   #3
edm

Contact forest river and see were they stand with this problem. We have had very good luck with FR getting things taken care of.

As far as the torsion bar bracket goes contact a ford truck dealer for service on the chassis. They may also be able to help you with the brake lines. Your ford chassis has a 3 year 36000 mile bumper to bumper chassis warranty.

Good luck have a safe trip.
edm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:59 PM   #4

I don't no where you are in CA. I'm in north Orange County. Fairway Ford RV in Placentia is the only place I take mine for everything now that I'm past the manufacturer warranty period. They do extended warranty work as well. They can do anything from chassis work to body/paint repairs.
Antone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:53 PM   #5

Placentia is not so far away to be impossible to consider.

Live in Frazier Park, CA a long way from ANY RV dealer.

Feel like I have been treated like a tool, the moment I was no longer "easy money" to my old dealer they wasted no time letting me know I was no longer welcome at their location.

Not that I believe myself to be the first to be sent down the road by this dealer!
repsolgamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:17 PM   #6
2003 Georgetown 325

I really think it is time that all of us RVers start a complaint program to the government ( as much as I hate to get them involved) but it is obvious that things are going too much the dealer/manufacturer way. These problems ought to be looked after either by a better inspection program or by FORCING the dealer to sell and/or repair under warranty anything that is wrong with the unit. These vehicles cost way too much to have this kind of service. It was only by public protest that lemon laws were introduced for autos. The same, it seems, is needed in the RV business as they are obviously not interested in doing the right thing. . . my opinion
reddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #7

Camping World in Valencia is pretty close to you. Are they a Forest River dealer?
Old 04-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #8

I don't have the number handy but look in your F53/Ford owners manual you should find the 800 phone number to Ford RV they will find a dealer for you.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #9
Site Team

Ford has a specific 800 number for RV support: 800-444-3311. You will need your VIN number when you call...
Old 04-07-2017, 05:20 PM   #10

I have not purchased my RV yet. Considering new. I'm thinking I'll pay an independent inspector to go over the rig BEFORE I write them my check! Fix the problems, or no check.
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #11
Dahagen

Sounds like the problems are chassis problems, not coach problems. You need to contact the chassis builder, not a FR dealer.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 03:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsolgamma View Post
Rant #1

Working hard to get the FR3 DS 25 prepped for the big trip this summer, California to Maine to California. Did the same trip two years ago after picking up our new DS 25 with few "real" problems, a shake out 7500 mile trip is an excellent way to highlight the warranty issues that needed to be addressed upon our return to the selling dealer.

At first, our dealer was very helpful and addressed all of the warranty issues – including fixing some issues we were unaware of. These were major problems i.e. the coach air-conditioning did not work, and a front door replacement. Since there was a lot of bodywork to be done to replace the door, and other major problems with we didn't mind much of having to leave it there for more than a couple of weeks in repair since we really had not planned on taking another trip after coming back from our huge adventure.

Now it's obvious that the coach air conditioning is now out of service again, a quick inspection while the engine was running highlighted that fact by confirming the AC compressor fan clutch was not engaging.

Further inspection during the oil change I had done, revealed some other issues that are quite common to this model. The rear sway bar mount bracket had broken, and of course the broken parts were hanging down loose looking pretty sad. No wonder I was having so many problems trying to keep this thing going down the road straight, with only one sway bar mount all it wanted to do was wobble back-and-forth depending on the wind or steering wheel inputs.

The last problem I noticed was quite terrifying. It looks like during either manufacture or servicing, the brake lines between the master cylinder and the ABS system module were savagely pulled out, breaking all of the mounting clips, about 10 of them in a row. Not only that but all of the brake lines, the stainless steel portion were bent and twisted, having been pulled out from behind the "C" channel of the frame rail. To think that this might have been this way since delivery is scary and quite concerning. I have no idea if the brake lines are possibly fractured or when they might just burst.

Set up an appointment with my formerly helpful selling dealer, arranged an appointment and arrived on time to be told that "that's not something we fix anymore".

You would think that this dealer would have appreciated our business more, since we did purchase a costly extended warranty that apparently is not good enough for them to continuing servicing our FR3.

Sadly, I believe it is a sign of this dealer going out of business, and makes me sad to think we had placed our trust in them and told people nice things about them.

Want to do the right thing both for our motorhome, as well as trying to be a standup type guy.

What is my next step now that I am on my own?

Perhaps your dealer was bought out by Camping World. I think traditionally they don't work with FR products.
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 07:47 AM   #13

There is a thread on here that B Clemens wrote about Camping World - they are actually contracted with ForestRiver and have to work on them. If I remember the thread properly.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:47 AM   #14

I believe Gumpster808 is correct I also seem to remember hearing that camping world is contracted as an FR repair facility.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:08 AM   #15

Hmmmm. Any chance that what broke your sway bar bracket may have bent your brake lines? Someone may have run over something or ran off of something or it slipped from a lift or something. You might consider insurance if no other help arrives. That "road debris" is a booger on your undercarriage.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:32 PM   #16

Thinking I agree with Iwannacamp. Sounds like road hazard or something similar. Yes, insurance company may be the answer. Might take a look at the damage with that in mind.
ChillinOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:17 AM   #17

Comments make it clear this is a bit of a gray area, between the coach and the chassis.

Called Ford customer service about AC before I knew about the brake lines and sway bar, and they suggested a visit to the local Camping World. After being bounced between selling dealer and Ford service, I have decided to take the chassis into the Ford dealer for an appointment tomorrow. Will update when a solution presents itself.

Undercarriage road debris damage is inevitable, so I spent a long time gazing at it. Some damage tells a tale, sharp mechanics might decipher a root cause. Not trusting my suspect skills, had my know it all engineer brother take a peek yesterday, he agreed it's an unusual damage pattern without adding any more useful insight.

Looking at the area didn't reveal nearby collateral damage, which is even more frustrating. These are plastic clips and fragile thin tubes making for an easily damaged sub-system that could have been just as easily damaged enroute from Ford plant to Forest River as from Forest River to dealer as from random road hazards on our 7,500 mi round trip to Maine.

Heres' pics showing damage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3109.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	134282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3113.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	134283   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3115.jpg