Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #1

Would you buy it again?

Would you buy the FR3 again if you had the chance to do it all over again? What "extras" would you ask the dealer to throw into the deal to sweeten the deal or make it better out the door?
KJcachers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:23 AM   #2

I would buy again.

My 2014 30ds was early production. So I had to add many features myself that 2015 buyers are getting now for free.

Shower curtain upgrade
TV is bedroom
Led light under the awning

What I found were dumb why didn't you add items are:
1 Lp gas and electric water heater. Mine is gas only. I could add a heat stick to it but I fear not having an anode.
2 there was no good excuse for not providing pre wired
-Power mirrors
-Power vent in the bathroom living room and bedroom.
-A screen on the bedroom window.
-Better head lights!
- a black tank flush (I added aftermarket)
- a better location for exhaust pipe and gen pipe.
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
HAPPY WHEN RV'ING

I agree with Technorick. I would add;
a better location for the flush drain
auto transfer switch

Curt & Isabel, & 9er (our Goldendoodle)
2014 Forest River FR3 30DS (Beasty)
2014 Honda CRV EX-L (toad)

drivmsafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 11:58 AM   #4

I wouldn't. We've had ours in 5 times for warranty work over this past year. Step motor failed, switch on dash broke off, AC condenser failed, had them install the Atwood, AC still sucked, had them fill the front and rear roof caps with spray foam, had to replace a breaker that kept tripping, water lines clogged, mirror came loose, column on drivers side was loose and banging when driving, bed made a high pitched squeal noise when driving at freeway speeds.

If I could do it over again, I would've spent the extra $20K and bought a higher end unit.

2015 FR3 30DS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
MaltnHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:45 PM   #5

I would.

We looked at a lot of coaches; Forest Rivers, Thors, Fleetwoods, and Winnebagos, all up to 36-ft before purchasing our 2015 30DS (early model). I would have liked to have the black tank flush and heated electric mirrors, but those are relatively inexpensive add-ons when compared to purchasing more expensive rigs.

We looked at units that seemed to fit our needs, but there were a couple where you couldn't access the bathroom with the hide-a-bed extended, and a couple where you couldn't get out of the overhead bunk without stepping on the hide-a-bed. I know some of you would disagree, but I'm also not a fan of electric jacks.

We almost didn't purchase our unit because of the mirrors and I really wanted fully electric pilot and co-pilot chairs. more cup holders would be nice too.

When it got down to it, the bang-for-the-buck factor kicked in and I don't believe you get a better buy. We were specifically looking for something in the 30-ft range that would sleep 8. We've gone out with 5-adults and 3-kids; it's a little crowded but it worked. Our previous unit was a 29-ft Class C without slideouts. Eight people in that thing was a real chore to deal with.

I must have got lucky though. My rig drives nice, my headlights are fine, and the only warranty work I've had done was to fix the fan on the stove vent, have the side cameras rewired (they were showing the wrong sides), and deal with a water siphon problem (fresh water tank would siphon out to 1/3 tank through the overflow).

We've had the usual problems. Screws coming loose on the couch footrest kind of stuff, but having owned travel trailers and a Class C previously, those problems were considered really minor and even somewhat expected; I knew what to look for.

I added a Fantastic Fan, an aftermarket rear anti-sway bar, a Safe-T-Plus, and some cabinet shelving. In the near future I'm going to fix the LED lights so that the lights in front don't come on with the awning lights and add a black tank flush (still researching on that one and somewhat of a coward when it comes to drilling holes in the black tank).

Otherwise I've been really happy with the purchase (knock on wood).
Old 05-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #6

I have to agree. I have seen better but not at this price. I also would make some changes and have. This is like a big toy to me.

MSG (Ret)
U.S. Army
Active-duty 66-92
2015 FR3 30DS
fpo1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:58 PM   #7

We just picked up our 2015 (June) 30DS used and haven't had too many issues that I couldn't handle. I'm pretty handy and can turn a wrench, so nothing to big has scared me. Sure, I'd like to have the couple amenities that the new 2016 has, but mainly, we liked the 30DS for a while and once 2015 came out with the King size bed, that sealed the deal. I don't expect the AC to keep up in the hottest of the summer and I wish the suspension was a little more thought out, but we're getting her into the RV we like. We loved the fact we can drive down the road with the bunkbed down, where as no other model (Class A) allows that.

So far, we've added a rear trac bar to help with some of our Kansas winds. Installed SumoSprings on the front. And now just replaced the stock front shocks with Koni FSD. Happy with how the front rides now, so I'm going to add some to the rear too. And possibly another rear sway bar to get rid of the last bit of sway we're encountering. Still after all these mods, I'd recommend the RV to anyone. Any other RV, and you'll have to tweak the suspension. We're planning to pull a horse trailer, so it needs to drive straight as an arrow before we load up our horses. I'd recommend buying used if your ok with that and good with fixing things. I don't think taking the depreciation hit is worth the 1 year warranty, which everyone seems like its a PIA to get warranty work done at stealerships. I like to stay as far from them as possible. I really wish FR would allow us to lookup parts and order directly from the factory.

Anyways, I'd see if you can get the CHF done and maybe have them install the shocks before you leave the stealership. And get some fantastic fans/covers installed would be a pretty sweet bonus. Even if you pay for the parts, the free labor/installation would be nice. Best of luck and enjoy!
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:12 AM   #8

Like Technorick, mine is an early production 2014. It is missing many things on the new units - many things we've had to pay to upgrade (bedroom tv, upgraded shower door) and other things I could only with to have (king bed, upgraded AC/heat pump, etc.). We've also upgraded a number of things just to make life easier (sat. tv, Sani-Con system, etc.). My wife and I did months of research, comparing every model under 32 or 33 feet from every manufacturer. In late 2013, the FR3 was the best motorhome for us in our price range and in our preferred length range. I've also been pleasantly surprised with the service we receive from our dealer (Shorewood RV) who has done a great job for us. So, yes, if it were 2013 all over again, I'd buy the same coach. Now, I'd probably go with a slightly longer, gently used diesel pusher.
spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:12 AM   #9

Shorewood RV in Minnesota?

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2000 Jeep TJ Moab Rock Crawler
2013 Jeep JK
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:19 AM   #10

Yes, Wayne. Shorewood RV in Coon Rapids, Minnesota. They have been terrific to work with. Fixing warranty work quickly and doing other work for us fast and at a reasonable price. I would recommend them to anyone.
spicyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:07 PM   #11

I really don't think we would buy again. I think the king size bed is a huge waste and very impractical. Climbing in and out of bed is a huge in conveinence. I would much rather a queen with the headboard facing the back a window on each side of the bed . At least we both had access to our own side of the bed and our closet and dressers. We had a 2012 hurricane before the fr3 ... and although it looked cheaper than the fr3... it was much more practical. The bunks we have adjusted and adjusted loose or tight it falls down
colourful64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #12

And the captains seats... made for giants...
Old 05-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #13

Spicy that's where we have bought our last 2 RV's. They are the Best!! Our sales men and friend names initials are BM.

JeNNY (2015 FR3 / 30DS)
2000 Jeep TJ Moab Rock Crawler
2013 Jeep JK
wayne and sherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:19 PM   #14

Is anyone else having very bad wind and road noise when driving the hwy. we can not listen to the radio or talk to one another without yelling. So sad that we bought this. We have been on the raod for 6 weeks and I'm ready for home because of the noise.
Fbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #15

Check your engine hatch cover. Ours was pretty noisy and we adjusted the two cam-locks on the side and it quieted it down a bit. Enough to hear the radio and talk, granted, it isn't going to be super quiet being a gas motorhome.
KansasFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:53 PM   #16

I had to adjust the motor cover hinges as well. They were pretty loose. It helped a bit.

2015 FR3 30DS

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
MaltnHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbailey View Post
Is anyone else having very bad wind and road noise when driving the hwy. we can not listen to the radio or talk to one another without yelling. So sad that we bought this. We have been on the raod for 6 weeks and I'm ready for home because of the noise.
I too have noise at 35MPH.or greater. Taking in for work when we get back from our next camping trip. Tried covering the weep holes on the windows, but didn't help. Checked the motor cover.

2015 30DS
2014 Sonic Toad
2015 days camped (20)
WVFR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by colourful64 View Post
And the captains seats... made for giants...
I also had trouble with the high set. I made a square platform for my feet, works pretty good, but hey here is a idea, why didn't FR make a better seat that adjusts.
Fbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:33 PM   #19

Ours is super noise too... and the dash shakes horribly
Old 05-20-2015, 05:35 PM   #20

We had this 3/4 inch rubber mats glued them together and put a 10 x 10 strip just before the gas peddle... works so far. Just unbelievable that anyone building a motor home wouldn't consider the fact that people may need to touch the floor when they sit