Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2019, 10:15 PM   #1

Your recommendations...

Bought my 2019 33DS in September and have been out once with another trip in three weeks. I have a couple of questions that I would like to throw out and get your recommendations.

1. Tire Pressure - I have a RVi Tire Patrol TPMS System. I installed it this weekend and found that my tires read about 83lbs pressure very cold. Tire sidewall says 110 lbs. What do you recommend a good cold tire pressure to start, the 110 or lower..?? I forgot what documentation I need to use to verify the pressures.

2. Compressor - What type of air compressor are you using to keep up on your tire pressures..??

3. Valve Stem extensions - with the TPMS, I need to extend my valve stems. Which ones do you recommend..??

4. Tow Bar - I found that I can flat tow my 2017 Buick Envision. I need recommendations on a good quality towbar for it. I have the RVibrake3 Flat Towing Braking System for the car.

5. Mounting things under the cabin - I'm going to be following others in mounting some holders for my black waste hoses under the cabin near the propane tank. When you want to mount to the frame, are you drilling a hole in the frame and use nuts and bolts or just using a self tapping screw..??

Retiring in about six months and have a six to eight week trip starting in mid-July from California to Iowa and parts all around there.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide me.

David
ehlerts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:53 PM   #2

1. Tires: I run the 82 PSI cold as recommended by Ford. One time a shop inflated them to 100 during an oil change and I thought my teeth were coming out on the trip back.
2. I carry a porter cable 110V, and it's also great for blowing out the lines when I winterize. Others swear by Viair 12V. As you decide, keep in mind just how much air it takes to fill these giant tires and don't cheap it out. Also get a heavy duty trucker's air gauge. By the way, I check the tires before every trip and haven't added air for about two years.
3. No experience. I have extenders on the back ones but no TPMS.
4. I'm running all blue ox, but again, some swear by other brands.
5. No experience but most people I see on the forum use long plastic ties rather than drilling.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehlerts01 View Post
Bought my 2019 33DS in September and have been out once with another trip in three weeks. I have a couple of questions that I would like to throw out and get your recommendations.

1. Tire Pressure - I have a RVi Tire Patrol TPMS System. I installed it this weekend and found that my tires read about 83lbs pressure very cold. Tire sidewall says 110 lbs. What do you recommend a good cold tire pressure to start, the 110 or lower..?? I forgot what documentation I need to use to verify the pressures.

2. Compressor - What type of air compressor are you using to keep up on your tire pressures..??

3. Valve Stem extensions - with the TPMS, I need to extend my valve stems. Which ones do you recommend..??

4. Tow Bar - I found that I can flat tow my 2017 Buick Envision. I need recommendations on a good quality towbar for it. I have the RVibrake3 Flat Towing Braking System for the car.

5. Mounting things under the cabin - I'm going to be following others in mounting some holders for my black waste hoses under the cabin near the propane tank. When you want to mount to the frame, are you drilling a hole in the frame and use nuts and bolts or just using a self tapping screw..??

Retiring in about six months and have a six to eight week trip starting in mid-July from California to Iowa and parts all around there.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide me.

David
I agree with TLAK on #1 & #4.
bootsthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:52 AM   #4
Always Learning

#1, tires for a motorhome should be adjusted by weight. If you can get to somewhere that does individual wheel weights, that's best. Otherwise, go for axle weights at a CAT scale.
https://learntorv.com/weigh-rv/

#2, we love our Viair compressor. I had trailer tires that I pumped up to 125psi and it did it happily and wasn't too slow. I did spring for the 450P which gives me 100% duty cycle and I don't have to worry about letting it cool down. Spendy, but quality.
https://learntorv.com/product-review...ir-compressor/

#4, a Kenny Kustom here on the forum swears by the illuminated Nighthawk:
https://learntorv.com/roadmaster-nighthawk/