Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachmen Chris View Post
Is there shelving in the back of yours Twobuells ? Doesn't seem like mine has enough storage.
Yes, no storage. I have a happy jack queen bed in the rear without the mattress and use that box as my storage, cool thing is I can hit a button and lower it and get what I need then raise it out of sight
TwoBuells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #82

Nice rebuild of your trailer
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:18 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblaze580 View Post
Nice rebuild of your trailer
Thank You , much appreciated.

TwoBuells , Thanks for posting all those awesome pics! Was curious with that bed close to the ceiling like that do you lose lots of headroom? I have two lights on the ceiling where your happy jack bed is. How is the lighting if the lights are covered or is there lights elsewhere?

Thanks again for the pics
Coachmen Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:34 AM   #84

the lighting under the bed is low but I have two lights on each side of the a/c unit and one at the top rear of the bed that lets some light in but I don't use it cause its too hard to turn off. I wish I had some screens in the side windows for more ventilation. If I leave the rear door down and put down the rear screen the ventilation is great.

I'm getting ready for a trip this weekend and will take some more pictures. I really need some more of the inside.

One of my options, when I ordered the unit was fiber glass flat walls. I was new to RVing and went with the lighter weight siding. At the time I was pulling it with my Jeep and wanted to keep the weight down, that would have added another 700#

I had to do the factory order because one of the options I could not live without was the 30 Gal Gasoline Station and no one had a Blast 150 with one in stock. I also ordered the rear screen and Stereo System but they forgot to install them. I did finally get the rear screen installed but the dealer refused to have the stereo system installed, so I got a refund.

When I have some time, I have to tell you the story of almost burning the camper down on my first camping trip.

Oh, the head room is about a foot less, and I've hit my head many times....
Old 05-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #85

That would have been really bad to burn it down right away lol

Can't wait to hear about it :P

Glad I don't have that extra bed then, I'd be smacks the noggin all the time. Not that I'm that tall but still.

I put led bulbs through out to save on battery. Only have one battery right now will install another at a later date.

Glad to hear you still like the unit even after all these years. I look forward to many years with mine too. Especially after all the work I've done to it
Old 05-19-2015, 09:55 PM   #86

First Camping trip I almost burned the Toyhauler down….
I ordered my 2009 Coachmen Blast 150 in May of 2008. I had a big trip planned for the end of July. My Destination was the 25th Buell Motorcycle Homecoming in East Troy, WI. With a few days of ATV riding at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes in western Michigan. This was my first Camper and I didn’t know grey water from black. I wanted to do a test camping trip before my big trip. I live in South Central Pennsylvania and Michaux State Forest has some great ATV trails and is only 45 miles from my house.
I had bought a Sear Craftsmen Generator since Michaux is Dry camping only. I set up camp, went riding and was having a great time. The next day it rained so I was watching TV. The Sears Generator had three pairs of 110v outlets. I had this 110v to 30 amp plug adapter but the only way it worked my shore line was facing up. Vibration from the generator the plug kept falling out and I’d lose power to the camper. The Sears Generator came with this 25’ cord. One end was this nice molded plug and it plugged into two outlets and the other end was four single plugs. All marked 110v. I hooked it up and stated the generator and plugged my shore line into one of the 110v outlets. Went back into the camper and smoke was billowing out of the inverter. I shut everything down. I checked the voltage at the end of the cord. Three of the outlets were 110v and one was 220v. So I just fed my new camper 220v for about two min.
The Cord was wired wrong from the factory. Sears covered all the damage but I couldn’t go on my big trip. Sears covered the damage, a new inverter, a Toshiba LCD TV and my reservations for canceling my trip. I now have a nice Yamaha Generator. And have a VOM in my camper.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:28 PM   #87

Old 05-19-2015, 11:01 PM   #88

Two years ago I noticed a soft spot on the floor at my side door. I did a temp fix by added this floor plate. I also put Eternal Bond 4" roof tape on every seam on the roof. At no time have I ever seen any water on the floor. since then I now have two soft spots at the rear door, left and right corner. they are getting worse and at the side door the soft spots are spreading past the floor plate. When I take my floor apart I might have to go as far as taking the kitchen cabinets out also as that area is getting worse. My floor is sealed to the wall and would love to know where the water is getting in and under the floor. I guess I'll find out when I tare it apart.

I found your repair thread by accident. The other day I was coming out of the camper and when I hit the bottom step I noticed that the floor moved where the stairs are connected. I was bummed out. Your thread has giving me hope that I can repair this and will have a stronger unit when done.

The Black tape is the eternal bond tape, strong stuff and has a long life

Old 05-19-2015, 11:09 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
... . That's not a stainless bolt is it? Hard to tell from the picture. If it is, don't use it!
Can I ask why you recommend against stainless? Is it a tensile strength issue?
Kzutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:10 PM   #90

HOLY CRAP !!! Wow that's crazy... Glad you shut it down right away. That could have went bad real fast. Glad everything was taken care of as far as replacing everything.

I seen in one of your pics the Yamaha generator. Is it a 3000 ? I have the Yamaha 2400 and it works just fine for me.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBuells View Post
Two years ago I noticed a soft spot on the floor at my side door. I did a temp fix by added this floor plate. I also put Eternal Bond 4" roof tape on every seam on the roof. At no time have I ever seen any water on the floor. since then I now have two soft spots at the rear door, left and right corner. they are getting worse and at the side door the soft spots are spreading past the floor plate. When I take my floor apart I might have to go as far as taking the kitchen cabinets out also as that area is getting worse. My floor is sealed to the wall and would love to know where the water is getting in and under the floor. I guess I'll find out when I tare it apart.

I found your repair thread by accident. The other day I was coming out of the camper and when I hit the bottom step I noticed that the floor moved where the stairs are connected. I was bummed out. Your thread has giving me hope that I can repair this and will have a stronger unit when done.

The Black tape is the eternal bond tape, strong stuff and has a long life

It took me a little while to figure out what was causing my issue. I looked for stains on the walls and any signs of leaks. I didn't see any signs anywhere so I was confused where the leak could be.

I looked under the sink , around the toilet. I even checked under the shower tub by looking in the cabinet under the microwave with a flashlight.

It wasn't until I was filling up the fresh water tank that I found what the problem was. I was at home and thought I'd fill the tank and see how long it would take to fill.

As the tank was getting full I could hear the water getting higher in the tank so i went inside to push the button to see how full it was.
That's when I noticed water streaming from under the fridge out on the floor. It started puddling up in that soft spot area and started to run down to the back.

I though "great" so glad the previous owner "fixed" the leak...

When I first bought the unit the previous owner mentioned a water leak that he fixed. He skirted around to where the problem was.

So the water running across the floor while the water was filling the tank told me otherwise.

So I wanted to see exactly where it was coming from. I disconnected the battery and pulled the cover for the circuit breakers and the inverter was. I think it was 8 screws total. I pulled the whole thing out and behind it I found the water pump and now could see more of what was going on.

I started to fill the tank again with water and went inside and watched to see where the leak was.
BINGO... Found it. It was coming from the hose that connects the outside fill cap to the hose that's connected to the fresh water tank.

I shut the water off and took the 3 screws out from the cover of the fill cap. It had some butyl tape or caulking I separated and pulled the whole thing away from the outside wall of the rv.

I seen the hose was connected to the cap with a hose clamp. So I grabbed a flat head screwdriver and i wanted to see how tight the hose clamp was.

It was loose as a goose. I must have turned to tighten that clamp for a good 30 secs. After I tightened it I turned the water back on.

No leaks at all. Not sure if that caused the whole dilemma or what.

I found the wood floor was particle board or presswood. When wet it acts like a sponge in my opinion.

So I'm happy I found my problem but so mad that it really doesn't take much to ruin a floor.

I hope you find the source of your problem , sooner than later.

Good luck !
Old 05-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #92

Chris, I wanted to show you the water damage on my ramp door. this will have to be rebuilt also. The picture is from this weekend
Check out the 84" Screen with a HD Projector on my friends Raptor.
Last year we watched Friday the 13th on Friday the 13th

Old 05-25-2015, 08:27 PM   #93
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzutter View Post
Can I ask why you recommend against stainless? Is it a tensile strength issue?
Tensile should not be a problem as the ss is as good as the gr2 stuff they put in from the factory especially after a year of rust. And there are 3 bolts per hold down, so they should not be of any concern as to tensile strength.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:11 PM   #94

Quote:

I seen the hose was connected to the cap with a hose clamp. So I grabbed a flat head screwdriver and i wanted to see how tight the hose clamp was.

It was loose as a goose. I must have turned to tighten that clamp for a good 30 secs.
Chris, if this connection is with the hose with the high rib design, the hose clamp alone rarely works. I always use 100% silicone liberally on the connection. Any other sealant Ive tried imparts an unsavory flavor to the water. These fresh water fill hoses split over time as well. So be wary..ive seen many a floor fall prey to these lines.
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:15 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Tensile should not be a problem as the ss is as good as the gr2 stuff they put in from the factory especially after a year of rust. And there are 3 bolts per hold down, so they should not be of any concern as to tensile strength.
Actually there is only 1 bolt that goes all the way through the floor. That bolt and nut are grade 5. The other two are like a lag bolt that screws into the wood of the floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
Chris, if this connection is with the hose with the high rib design, the hose clamp alone rarely works. I always use 100% silicone liberally on the connection. Any other sealant Ive tried imparts an unsavory flavor to the water. These fresh water fill hoses split over time as well. So be wary..ive seen many a floor fall prey to these lines.
If memory serves me right , the hose was ribbed and I tightened the hose clamp as much as I could with out breaking anything. Used a 1/4 ratchet and socket to tighten it.

I will deffinately keep an eye on that especially since in my opinion that was the cause of the damage in the first place. Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBuells View Post
Chris, I wanted to show you the water damage on my ramp door. this will have to be rebuilt also. The picture is from this weekend
Check out the 84" Screen with a HD Projector on my friends Raptor.
Last year we watched Friday the 13th on Friday the 13th

I can see the bottom of the door where it looks like it's bubbling.

Do you have wheel chocks for the bike and 4wheeler?

My lawd look at that 84" screen.. DROOL... sweet.

I wonder if the spare tire on the back caused any damage. My spare was mounted up where there is what looks like a generator carrying area.

Been looking at l.e.d. flood lights for the back of mine. Good light at night for the ramp door. I only have one battery and thought have those light upgraded to led would help. Have led bulbs throughout right now. Battery will last for days as long as I don't need the furnace.

Thanks for sharing the pic. Way cool.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:01 AM   #96
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Actually there is only 1 bolt that goes all the way through the floor. That bolt and nut are grade 5. The other two are like a lag bolt that screws into the wood of the floor...
Nothing to prevent using a ss bolt/nut in the other 2 holes instead of the lags and making an alum backup plate to catch all 3 bolts. That's what we did on our racecar trailer and it held a 1200# racecar.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:58 AM   #97

the silicone wasn't my idea, thats all the mfgs used to use. i never got one to truly seal without it. think about it for minute. think about the membrane between the ribs and how the clamp never makes contact. the tighter you clamp, the more you open this area. now, im not trying to berate you into redoing this connection. its more like exhort with all long suffering and doctrine....
Old 05-27-2015, 01:24 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
the silicone wasn't my idea, thats all the mfgs used to use. i never got one to truly seal without it. think about it for minute. think about the membrane between the ribs and how the clamp never makes contact. the tighter you clamp, the more you open this area. now, im not trying to berate you into redoing this connection. its more like exhort with all long suffering and doctrine....
LOL I'm just going to disconnect the whole thing and be done with it
Old 05-27-2015, 02:46 AM   #99

was it the allusion to the bible verse that was a little over the top?...heheh. I used to curse that hose design till i realized it had to turn tight radii and not kink. it just sucks to clamp it. sorry for what some label another mental exercise. it just my MO. lets do this...expose it, put a hose down it, fill it till she squirts, and if it leaks try it my way. if it dont, you get to sleep better...
Old 05-28-2015, 12:28 AM   #100

I like "it don't leak I get to sleep better" lol

In the future to get a look at it again I can remove the inverter. I will do that and hope there was a flat spot and the ribs start way past that point. I know wishful thinking lol