Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2017, 02:33 AM   #1

New to forum, hoping for some insight

Hi all. I haven't seen too many of these so hopefully these aren't annoying posts.

My wife and I are looking at getting a 2016 EVO ATS 270BHS. Any thoughts or opinions on the model?

This one was apparently purchased by someone then traded back before it was off the lot due to house-buying issues, but will keep an eye open in case. But the dealer has a lot of good reviews and spoke to one guy on location who bought and they don't see a bad bunch in that regard.

It'll be towed with a '99 Dodge Ram 1500 Extended Cab 5.9L 4x4. I've towed cargo trailers around 6k with it cross-country a couple times without an issue aside from the usual 1/2 ton hill bits. I'll be upgrading my hitch to a WDH of some sort as well so I'd imagine will help more. Knock on wood in a couple years the truck will be replaced, probably by a Ram 2500.

Thanks for any advice!
Aelwulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:24 AM   #2

New to forum, hoping for some insight

My advice......enjoy it! I've had a 2360 for three years now. Love it! My brother in law bought the 270BHS last year, and has liked it very much. Both of us have 1/2 tons (Nissan and Ford respectively), but you can't go wrong with a 2500. My only hang up with the bunk house, and this is purely personal preference, was its length. I wanted to stay under 28 feet. I don't have kids, so the bunk house would have been nice, but was unnecessary. I would encourage you to replace the tires as soon as practicable, and swap out the electric stabilizer jacks as well. The jacks provided are inadequate.
roylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:40 AM   #3

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack...FYhhfgodDH4PIg

If you want to keep the electric stabilizers, this is a far better system than the one the factory bolts on. There are two different lift heights, but this shorter one is the one I would recommend. I bought the 30" jacks, but discovered that the jacks work better, the farther you can extend them (which means the 30" of lift is less effective on a standard ground clearance trailer).
Old 05-25-2017, 08:42 PM   #4

Thanks for the info.

I finally got a chance to sit down with actual numbers and take a look. Looks like the EVO ATS is technically under the max towing capacity, but would likely be a few hundred pounds over a 'smart' weight for my truck. It's too bad, my wife & I really like that one but a new truck too isn't in the cards right now.

Anyone know off-hand if there's an EVO bunkhouse style with a GVWR under around 6,000 pounds? 6,500 might be ok. About to Google some.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:18 PM   #5

Edit: Seems there's only one, and don't see anyone around here with one. I'll see about putting a new post in general with a couple questions.

Thanks again!
Old 05-29-2017, 07:40 PM   #6

Good luck!