Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2015, 10:02 PM   #1

Newbies looking for advice

Okay, this is our very first post. We are looking to get into the RV'ing circle and have looked at just about everything out there, from Class A's to travel trailers. We are a couple with 4 dogs, so we need something that will accommodate everyone. I have looked at the 2016 EVO T2700 and really like what it has to offer.

Now the questions: Should we be looking at something different (for those of you with pets) or will this work? What kind of upgrades will it need as soon as we drive it off the lot? I have read a lot about tires, surge protectors, and battery switches, etc. Are all of these not up to standard or just not included (minus the tires of course!)? And a stupid question - is a generator included or is that something that we will have to invest in?

We are also going to be upgrading to get a "new" tow vehicle - will a large SUV (Armada or Sequoia) do the job, or are we destined to have to buy a pick-up truck? (Tough on space with all of the animals.)

We appreciate everyone's input!!
cmcolla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcolla77 View Post
Okay, this is our very first post. We are looking to get into the RV'ing circle and have looked at just about everything out there, from Class A's to travel trailers. We are a couple with 4 dogs, so we need something that will accommodate everyone. I have looked at the 2016 EVO T2700 and really like what it has to offer.

Now the questions: Should we be looking at something different (for those of you with pets) or will this work? What kind of upgrades will it need as soon as we drive it off the lot? I have read a lot about tires, surge protectors, and battery switches, etc. Are all of these not up to standard or just not included (minus the tires of course!)? And a stupid question - is a generator included or is that something that we will have to invest in?

We are also going to be upgrading to get a "new" tow vehicle - will a large SUV (Armada or Sequoia) do the job, or are we destined to have to buy a pick-up truck? (Tough on space with all of the animals.)

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search for your perfect RV. First, to answer a few questions: Tires...most travel trailers in the size you are looking at (EVO T2700) come with load range C tires. Many people tow with those tires and never have any problems. Others have experienced tire failure/blowout and have replaced the tires with something a little heaver. In our case, we went from a load range C to a load range E tire. Our trailer handles much better with the heavier "stiffer" sidewall tires. Battery switch...your new trailer WILL come with a switch that "turns off" everything in the coach that runs off the battery, usually for storage. Most likely, the electric jack, if you have one (and they are usually an option), will still work when the battery cut-off switch is in the "off" position. Surge protectors. Think about your computer at home. You could just plug it into a receptacle and it would run just fine, until the first power surge or lightening strike. A surge protector for your RV is the same thing. You don't need it, but you definitely WANT it. Pick one up on Amazon. It doesn't have to be hard-wired in...like a surge protector for your computer, it just plugs into the receptacle and the power cord for the computer (in this case, the trailer) plugs into the surge protector. There are a lot of other accessories that you will need: Sewer hoses, fresh water hoses, wheel chocks, the list goes on and on. Sometimes the dealer will throw in a few things to get you started, but be prepared to spend several hundred dollars for the "extras" that you will need.

As far as towing with an SUV...the EVO T2700 weighs 6,600 pounds empty...considerably more when you get it loaded and ready to go camping. The Armada (2015 model) has a towing capacity of 8,200 lbs for a 2WD and only 6,500 lbs for the 4WD. Would it tow the EVO? Probably. Would I want to tow the EVO with it? Nope! In my opinion, invest in a 4-door 3/4 pickup and put a cap over the bed. You'll have more room than in the SUV, greater towing capacity, and room to move up to your next trailer. At 32 feet overall length, the EVO T2700 trailer is a pretty good size trailer to be towing with an SUV.

Good luck.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:21 PM   #3

Agreeing with the capt and get a truck with a shell over the bed. When loaded ours is at 7500 lbs and where we live every direction is a hill climb out so more power helps me and the longer wheelbase makes it stable.

We have 2 huskies that ride in the back now but you also have to consider on what stuff you would carry in bed of truck like firewood and cooler.

My very first upgrade was surge protector. Second was TPMS. Third LED lights which you already have.

For the generator answer, ask yourself where you would be camping- will you have full hookups or dry camp in a hot place. Those questions will help out.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:36 PM   #4

Our original plan was to buy a used Armada w/tow capacity of 9,000 & pair it with a 6,500 (empty) TT. FORTUNATELY, I found this forum & realized the PAYLOAD of the 'Mada would not be enough so we purchased a 3/4 ton Ram crew cab & later added a cap.

Last year the dog road with us in the cab. However, & don't want her to become a projectile in an accident, so this year she will ride in her crate either in the TT or under the cap. I installed (2) MaxxAir fans to provide push-pull flow through the TT while traveling & the cap has screened windows that allow airflow. IMO either place she will be safer than with us in the cab.
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

The_Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #5

Thank you everyone! Well, I guess we should start looking at trucks. Having the four (large) dogs, we were concerned with having them in the bed of the truck, but apparently it works. Just out of curiosity, what are you all getting in mileage on your trucks while towing? We are planning on taking a long trip soon after getting everything, and we're trying to figure out what kind of mileage we may get.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:26 PM   #6

Newbies looking for advice

I get about 8- but you are taking your house with you so I feel mpg are not a deciding factor. You would probably get better mileage with a diesel but paying for that option up front. Better to get too much truck (no such thing) than to get one that "can do" on paper only to make it a white knuckle experience when driving.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #7

Personally, I would never have dogs in the bed of a truck. For that reason we chose the Ram Mega Cab . More than enough room for our three dogs providing they behave. I would recommend this truck over any others out there. Our Ram 2500 diesel can tow our fifth wheel with no problem. The fifth wheel has a gross weight of 16,200. loaded.
CTGREG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

My dogs always ride in the bed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1428020834546.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	72877Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1428020877368.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	72878Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1428020912056.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	278.1 KB
ID:	72879

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:34 PM   #9

That is not a option for us living on the east coast. Too many other fools on the road to jeopardize our four legged children. We much rather have then in the truck with us.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:42 PM   #10

Grew up in the Northeast, so I know all too well the idiots out there. We are going to be heading back to the east coast from the west coast soon. It's a long ride for the dogs to be in the bed of a truck. Trying to find something that they can be in the cab, but they are just so dang big (the dogs)! The smallest is 50+/- and the biggest is 95 lbs. Our 2 girls get along "most" of the time, but it would be our luck that they decide on one of our travel days not to like each other. Murphy's law!! Wish they made an SUV that could comfortably handle the load of a TT.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:51 PM   #11

I still think you should look at the Ram megacab. Our dogs are somewhat large as well. One is 75 lbs and the other is a 65 lb. Am Staff Terrier. They are great travelers and are great traveling companions. We get about 10 mpg with the diesel towing this trailer.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:56 PM   #12

Having made several mistakes matching tow vehicles and trailers. If I had to do it all over again. Knowing what I know now I would go ahead and get a 1 ton. Seems I'm always upgrading my trailer and usually don't have enough truck. With a 1 ton when you decide you want to upgrade to that 5th wheel you will already have the truck. Have fun and welcome aboard.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #13

Another 'upgrade' to put near the top of your list would be roof vent covers so you can leave the roof vents open in the rain. Link:Airxcel | Maxxair | Standard Vent Covers
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:20 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Definitely don't pair the evo with an armada or sequoia. I started out towing a 30' tt that weighed 5700 lbs dry (7300 lbs loaded) with an armada rated to tow 9100 lbs. As stated the weak point was the payload (after dog, dd, dh and myself it was down to 810lbs payload). It was a white knuckle towing experience on flat land and a downright scary towing experience in the mountains.

You could try looking at 3/4 ton suvs. Pay close attention to their payload though. You will probably need close to 1500 lbs or more payload for that trailer and those loving pups. You can also look for and old 3/4 ton excursion. They were good tow vehicles but they stopped making them in 2005. The other option is look into a 1 ton van.

On a different note, be aware many campgrounds have pet restrictions related to breed, size and some even limit the number of pets you bring. There are also campgrounds like four paws animal kingdom that are designed solely for the dogs, the humans are a side note. Just want you to go in with your eyes wide open.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #15

Welcome in the past you could order a 3/4 Suburban that would offer the towing and the space for the fur kids. I was looking at that option a couple years ago but decided we were going to upgrade to the 5er so did not do the 3/4 Suburban. Whatever route you decide to go, you will enjoy it.

Camp as often as we can
Steven379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 08:59 AM   #16

A lot of valid points were made in this link. The reason that I went with the Ram 2500 Mega Cab rather than the 3500 Mega Cab was the 2500 and the 3500 had the same tow capacity for the single rear wheels rather than the dually. I did not want the hassle of trying to park the dually in parking spaces and I did not want the hassle of having to potentially register the vehicle as a commercial vehicle. Although I live in CT, MA will not allow the dually to be registered as anything other than commercial. The way the political climate changes on the east coast, particularly in CT, I did not want to take that chance. As I stated both vehicles have the same tow capacity in the single wheel setup. Taxes are cheaper, fuel efficiency is better, insurance is cheaper, the convenience of the 2500 over the 3500 is better, my wife likes to drive the 2500 over the 3500. (She has driven both before and much larger!) For these many reasons, I encourage you to check the regulations in your state and operating conditions as well. I am quite confident the large cab Ram MegaCab will suite you needs very well.
Old 04-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #17

PLEASE ....do not ride with your dogs in the bed of the truck. I am a veterinarian and have seen the eye injuries, burnt paws, accidents & thrown from the bed ....PLEASE NOOOO ....
That being said - we carried cardboard cut outs the size of our dogs crates with us when shopping & laid them out in the trailer to see how we could get around in each, taking pictures & notes as we went from dealership to dealership until we figured what worked best. With our dog dens while camping the pups never get riled & just settle down whenever we want to leave our site & they are safe with AC or heat as needed.
Pups ride in back seat of our truck with seatbelts ...many years ago I experienced my dog hitting the windshield when I was tailended at a stop light ....since then I consider myself just a little smarter....
You may have to board 2 & take 2 depending on campground - often there are limits (& remember to pick up any messes please!)
We love traveling with the dogs & neighborhood kids get to make a buck taking care of the cats & birds at home

Terri & Joe + Boont & Tasha
Camping a long weekend every month or so since May 2013 in our cute 21FBRS MicroLite to practice for retirement while living here in Florida
Joe is retired.... next camper ordered.... getting ready to change this signature really soon!
Life Without Whine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcolla77 View Post

What we did was that two years prior to purchasing an RV, we rented all the different units from campers to motor homes. That gave us a good feel for what worked well for us.

We eventually decided on and 5th wheel.

Good luck and
My RV Cookbook now on Amazon! USA or Canada
Travel Blog
Cooking Blog
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:56 PM   #19
Traveling along

We have a sheltie that travel with us sometimes. We have always put a padded harness on her and buckled her in like a kid. Better to keep her safe in an accident.
2019 Silverado 2500
2019 Primetime Crusader 29rsle
Bill and Margo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 01:02 PM   #20

Welcome to the Forums cmcolla77...and soon to the RV Lifestyle

I am going to chime in X2 on the comments about trucks and rigs. You have a unique opportunity to learn from our mistakes

Almost every one of the experienced RV'ers on the forum have made the progression from PUP->TT->5er (and some go on to a MH )

The idea of rent before you try is a expensive option but not as expensive as buying a rig and then realizing it does not fit your needs! Perhaps this is the way you should go.

My .02’...

Given your Furbabies (what a lot of RVers call their animal companions) you might want to look into a Motorhome (MH) that will solve the problem of where the pooches live while you travel. The downside to this is a large MH can cost as much (or more!) than your home!

If you are set on a truck and trailer rig, I agree with the others - just get a 1 ton truck and be done with it. Assuming you are going to keep the 1T until the wheels fall off go ahead and get the diesel (your break-even will happen at @ 108K miles), and if the truck is not your Daily Driver (DD), strongly consider getting a dually (dual axel). Then you can tow anything!

Getting a MegaCab (Dodge RAM) should provide enough space (with the seats up - or maybe even removed) for your furbabies.

What to tow? This is just my opinion, but get a fifth wheel (5er). SO much easier to pull than a travel trailer (TT), no sway, not susceptible to Semi vortex, and with that 1T Dually yanking it down the road, you will not even know you are towing anything...well maybe if you opt for a 44' toy hauler you will notice a teensy bit.

Hope all these posts help you with your happy RV decision. Again, welcome to the club, and ask questions - this forum has an amazing knowledge base!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags