Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2013, 01:06 AM   #1

Our first trailer

I'm so happy to have found this forum! My husband and I just purchased our first travel trailer and are a bit overwhelmed at how much there is to know about these things. after looking around for quite awhile we decided on an Evo 2250. Our battery died after about 2 weeks and have learned we need a cut off switch which I'm told by a friend should be on the rig already but can't find it anywhere... the rv dealer has no idea so I'm assuming its not there and we will have to get one. So first month out of the gate we may have already fried our battery :s. But so far we are happy and excited to take it somewhere and I also look forward to reading many posts here
And BTW.. we are from southern California and our favorite place to camp is June Lake.
kwsstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #2

Congrats on the new trailer!! Was you plugged into shore power?
2009 Weimaraner "Dog"
onequicksportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by onequicksportster View Post
Congrats on the new trailer!! Was you plugged into shore power?
Thank you
Not sure what shore power is but we weren't hooked up to anything... this is all new and unfortunately the battery wasn't something that was covered in our walk through.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:23 AM   #4

Shore power is the 30amp plug you should have one the rear left hand side of the camper. There should be a twist lock connection there that you can plug into a 30 amp service on your house or campground. I would think the camper has a charger on it, most do. When you are plugged in it should charge your battery. As far as disconnect switch not all trailers have them from the factory.
2009 Weimaraner "Dog"
Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 AM   #5

Yes, there is a plug like that... we plugged it in and hopefully the battery is OK. Thank you...
Old 05-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #6

You will be ok, battery should not be fried unless you over charged it and boiled the water out exposing the cells, which you did not do if you never had it plugged in. And even at that I've never seen someone over charge a battery in a camper by having it plugged into shore power, unless they had a problem with there charger maybe. Give it a couple hrs and check your display on the inside of the camper and you should see the battery voltage going up. I leave my camper plugged in anytime i'm not using it. But then again thats me, others may not agree with that
2009 Weimaraner "Dog"
Old 05-07-2013, 05:30 AM   #7

Congrats & welcome.........

After a few trips all the issues will seem minor.......... It takes a little time to learn everything.... All makes& types are a little different.

If you leave a light on it won't take long to drain your battery (couple days) if you are not hooked up to electric (shore power) ..... You probably don't have a battery disconnect, we have owned 4 campers over the years & always had to add my own.....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #8

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

'12 F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 Ecoboost with MaxTow
'12 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRKSS

BradinOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #9
Site Team

yep, battery disconnect switches are not common on travel trailers.
and if you don't keep it plugged in, on shore power, the battery will be drained in just a few days.

with a new trailer, your converter/charger will keep the battery charged, if you keep the trailer plugged into shore power.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #10

Nearly two years ago, we bought our first ever RV, a 20' travel trailer. We've just upgraded to one that is 9' longer which has more gizmos and features in it. Have spent a lot of time on this forum and am happy to say that I am now what you call an "expert."

You too can become an RV expert by hangin' around here. If stuck on something, there's all the advice you'll ever need on this forum. Pretty soon, you will be posting advice for the newbies!!