Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2015, 09:44 AM   #1

Re: Question

I purchased a new trailer a few months back, my paperwork stated it had been upgraded a 13500 btu a/c to a 15000 btu a/c. I havfrome just discovered that the upgrade was never done. The dealer is willing to replace the unit ASAP at no charge but I feel that I was deceived. Has the dealer or manufacture anything wrong? Do I have any rights to compensation? I have to drive 60 miles and leave the trailer for the day to get the work done. It is a very big inconvenience and I don’t trust the dealer anymore.
mitchmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

I suppose this is an ethical question. As such there are no "right" answers.
Each of us has our own "moral pointer" when it comes to things like this.

There are many who are quick to sue for any perceived slight and think nothing of it; others take things in the spirit of the intentions (forgive and forget).

Where you the one who discovered the error or were you informed by the dealer? If it was you, did the dealer admit his mistake immediately and offer remediation to correct his error?

If it was truly a hardship for you to go back to the dealer, rather than just inconvenient, asking for some small consideration might be in order; like maybe a 10% discount card for the parts or service department.

It is totally up to you and your assessment of "fairness."

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:08 PM   #3

Yes, I discovered the problem, the dealer blames Forest River as the dealer did not build the unit and stated they do not check the new units to be sure they have the right equipment. The deal said they will replace as soon as FR gives the ok. My biggest thing is the lack of quality control and how many other families have purchased and have the wrong equipment.
mitchmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:15 PM   #4

Mitch, first of all be glad that the dealer will install the correct A/C asap. You can ask for compensation for time and mileage and perhaps overnight expense at a nearby motel. I suggest you make the request in writing. If the dealer denies that I would go ahead with the replacement and followup with a small claims court. Since you live in California that should not be a problem and it is likely that you will be compensated as long as you document the entire incident.

Just my humble opinion.

Good luck with it all.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #5

then youve done your part. you have alerted others and the dealers that peruse these boards that they should check their units compared to build sheet. if you help at least one then the post was worth it. thats my take. for all us here on the boards we say thank you. sleep well tonight knowing you made the world a better place...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

As Herk says, if it is just an inconvenience to you, get the replacement and forget lawsuits/small claims courts, etc. As me old grand pappy always said, "The more you stir ****, the worse it smells". Life is too short, you bought the camper to enjoy, not as a source for confrontation with the dealer or mfg.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:43 PM   #7

A mistake was made and the dealer says he will make it right. I understand inconvenience. My dealer is 100 miles away on the other side of Atlanta. Not an easy drive trust me. If that's the only issue you have then I would count myself as very lucky. If it were me I would just let them fix the issue and enjoy the camper. But that's just me. I hope it all works out for you and you have many days of enjoyable camping.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 10:36 PM   #8

It won't take them long to take one off the roof and put another one on. 1 hour at best unless they are really really slow and need to read the directions. LOL it's a easy job but does take 2 people to get old one off the roof and set the new one in place. I'd just make sure they are ready and have it when you go there then drink their free coffee and wait on them to get it done then head back home or go camping. Test it out before you leave the dealer.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:38 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchmor View Post
Yes, I discovered the problem, the dealer blames Forest River as the dealer did not build the unit and stated they do not check the new units to be sure they have the right equipment. The deal said they will replace as soon as FR gives the ok. My biggest thing is the lack of quality control and how many other families have purchased and have the wrong equipment.
I would ask to see the build sheet your dealer actually sent to FR. My money is on a dealer mistake in ordering and not a factory mistake on the build. At the dealership, no one checks the order before its sent to the manufacturer but the salesman. At the factory, there are several levels of QC before the finished unit is shipped. Additionally, think about it. If you ordered something from a vendor, wouldn't you check the box to make sure everything on your order was actually IN the box? Your dealer's acceptance section would be SERIOUSLY remiss not to at least make sure what they ordered actually arrived...

You are the very first person I have read about here who did not get what the build sheet says to factory install.

If it matters to you WHO made the mistake, PM me with the VIN and I try to find out what the dealership actually ordered.

However, I am a "Fix the Problem; Not the Blame" kind of guy myself...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 07:53 AM   #10

Life's too short. Take it in, get it replaced. Facts are (unfortunately) neither the dealer or the manufacturer are really concerned that you are inconvenienced. You can make a big deal about it, and maybe get some freebies..........but is it really worth it???? Just get it done and move on. Just my $0.02.
mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:01 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I agree with others and just getting it fixed. Maybe go through your unit prior to taking it in for other small warranty items that need attention. Get everything fixed up while you are there. You might need the dealer for other warranty work down the road.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote