Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2022, 06:09 PM   #41

Travel Trailer leans to passenger side

I have a Forest River Work and Play toy hauler. I had to have the springs replaced once on the road on our third trip out--the original springs were installed with no bushings. After a couple more trips, I noticed a lean like yours. Upon close inspection, my springs had flattened out, looked like yours. The springs should have an even arc upward from the axle. The replaced springs that were installed had the correct rating but were made in China. I replaced all four springs with Dexter springs and no problem since then. I upgraded my shackles with heavier shackles and shackle bolts that can be lubed. Too bad the manufacturers don't use good materials to begin with, good luck with resolving your issue.
hogdooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 08:35 AM   #42

Your center pivot is severely cocked in one direction.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 09:47 AM   #43

In jimmoore13's post #21 he says, "Look at the equalizer between the axles...where the springs attach between the axles. This "upside down T" should be sitting pretty level on both sides."

Look at the OP's picture posted in #24. That T piece doesn't look level at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220304_185450478.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	620.2 KB
ID:	269972  
Ron045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 11:01 AM   #44

Hello folks,
In case you missed it in this thread, the trailer is stores on a driveway with a considerable slope. Rising the front end to level the trailer shifts the load ro the rear axle, which causes the shift of the center equalizer. On front/rear level ground, the equalizers set level as well.
Thanks for you keen eyes though. You're the first to have mentioned that anomaly.
robinsra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 01:42 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsra View Post
Hello folks,
In case you missed it in this thread, the trailer is stores on a driveway with a considerable slope. Rising the front end to level the trailer shifts the load ro the rear axle, which causes the shift of the center equalizer. On front/rear level ground, the equalizers set level as well.
Thanks for you keen eyes though. You're the first to have mentioned that anomaly.
Brought up the shift precisely because it make the springs look flat which was you original question. You MUST check it on flat ground, not your significantly angled drive way. I can see arc in the springs. They do NOT look flat. The angle of your original photograph plus the drive pitch is deceiving.
dedobias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 09:47 AM   #46

I would take it to a level parking lot and check it again. Oddities in your driveway with slope, etc. can create some odd visuals. Nothing looks off on the suspension connections, so I suspect you are just seeing the effects of the terrain.
datadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 07:07 PM   #47

Back to being concerned about this list!

So we have had our first road trip. The trailer seemed to pull just fine. After re-parking on our driveway, no noticable list/lean. Moved in and out of driveway several times to work on things. Again, no noticable list. Rented a bay from a family member that is level in both axes. Its a bit of a long awkward back in with a hump onto the level pad. After negotiating the trailer into place, I'll be damned it it isn't listing again to the passenger side. This time more than I have seen in the past.
How concerned should I be???
robinsra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer, travel, travel trailer