Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 11:23 PM   #1

2018 Legacy 38c outside satellite tripod jack

Hey group!
We are taking Delivery of a 2018 38c on Wednesday. I am curious if the 38c has an exterior tripod jack for a satellite dish? If yes where's it located?
DieselDude916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. I do not know of any rig where there is a supplied tripod for a dish antenna provided I believe that is an aftermarket purchase.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #3

What I am asking is... if there is a coax jack outside that I can plug our satellite dish to. Our Allegro has a jack in the wet bay compartment but don’t remember seeing one on the Legacy.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:18 PM   #4

I just took possession of a new 38C today and absolutely love it. Short answer is yes, there is an exterior cable jack. It’s on the drivers side in one of the basement compartments close to the back. I think it’s the one with the batteries or the shore power cable. I can’t recall exactly.
cdeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:40 AM   #5

most coaches come with the traditional COAX connection for CABLE tv from an rv park, but not necessarily a separate SATELLITE connection, though it would be nice to have one(a few actually do have them)...

I think the main reason is that a SATELLITE connection cannot have coax splitters upstream as CABLE coax can. Satellite tv does not like these connections, and requires DIRECT coax wiring directly to each receiver, at each tv, not to a 'box of many buttons', as most of us have.

It seems as if manufacturers could easily add these 'additional' coax cabling connections for Satellite, but here's the rub: While each TV is in it's location from the factory, each RECEIVER is not. The receivers are placed by the owner wherever they can find a place for them, and not always necessarily right next to or below the TV itself. Some owners like their receivers to be 'hidden', and some of us keep ours out in the open.

Our living room receiver sits right below our tv on the table, it takes up space : )
Our outside TV's receiver has no room with the tv, so it is mounted on the sidewall of the storage bay down below. The door must be open to change channels : )
Our bedroom TV is mounted/hung from the ceiling, with no place for a receiver. We found a place for it across the doorway on top of the slide room corner. It sits there nicely, but we had to run the coax/hdmi cable across the top of the doorway between the two : )

It all works very well, but, yes, it would be nice if manufacturers could find a way to have these items ran/installed at the factory itself.

For the cable from the Antenna outside:
We've found, as many folks have, that running your own Satellite coax cabling from your Antenna to your internal Receivers is best. While not always easy, it eventually is what most folks must do. Some just run a cable thru a window when they are parked, some have roof top units that run down into the coach from an access port on top, and some, like us, run our own Satellite coax cabling via custom routing. Ours comes from our portable KingTailgater2 antenna, down the rear ladder, thru the radiator access cover, under the chassis, and up into the wet bay via a cable access port. These connect to our 'internal' runs of coax cabling to each receiver(3).
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 09:38 AM   #6

It does have a cable jack but I haven’t tried it with satellite. We had a traveler dish installed and that has been working great.

Tags
lite, satellite