Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2019, 12:36 AM   #1

50 amp line

Just thinking if anyone has mounted a retractable reel for the main electric cord?
Do you think that laying a reel horizontally under the compartment work?
necasperaterrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:00 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by necasperaterrent View Post
Just thinking if anyone has mounted a retractable reel for the main electric cord?
Do you think that laying a reel horizontally under the compartment work?
Many MH have retable reals. I'm an Electrician and would not have one. Moving electric connections are not reliable and will break at the most inconvenient time. No you can not lay it down. It would very much shorten it lifetime.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:41 AM   #3

...since my DEF compartment was underutilized, and plenty of space for additional storage, I simply allow the DEF tank to 'carry' the cord, winding it around it for travel.
If you leave enough to reach the wall connector, then you only have to bring out enough to reach the power pedestal when you're ready to plug in.
No more 'handling' the heavy shore cord.

Eventually, I removed the wall connection all-together, and rerouted the wall connection wiring all the way back into the DEF tank area, where it enters the coach to the ATS... now I don't even use the wall connection anymore - it's already connected, permanently.

Your Legacy may have a different DEF tank compartment design, but the Palazzo and Legacy are almost twins, so I imagine you have some options.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:42 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Many MH have retable reals. I'm an Electrician and would not have one. Moving electric connections are not reliable and will break at the most inconvenient time. No you can not lay it down. It would very much shorten it lifetime.
What is a moving electric connection?

I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about a reel to wind up his electric cord. The only time it would be moving would be when it's unplugged. Which is no different that when it's moved by hand.

Here's a solution posted by another member.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:04 AM   #5

some coaches, like mine, have a sidewall connector for the coach end of the shore cord, with the other end to the power pedestal, meaning you have to essentially take out the whole heavy cord every time you set up, and every time you are ready to leave.

if the Berk has a hardwired shore cord, then just taking out the footage of cord to reach the power pedestal is about the only option.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:28 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
You're thinking about sliding ring connections. I don't think the OP is thinking about using one of those, but even if they are, I've been around sliding ring reels on bridge cranes of all sizes for the last 50 years or so, and we have very little problems with the connections. We also have plenty of them that are installed horizontally and they don't have any shorter life than the vertical reels.

P.S. I'm not sure what a retable real is! LOL
Old 03-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #7

OP

Thanks for all the replies. They gave me insight to other options.
necasperaterrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
You're thinking about sliding ring connections. I don't think the OP is thinking about using one of those, but even if they are, I've been around sliding ring reels on bridge cranes of all sizes for the last 50 years or so, and we have very little problems with the connections. We also have plenty of them that are installed horizontally and they don't have any shorter life than the vertical reels.

P.S. I'm not sure what a retable real is! LOL
Those reels aren't made in China or Indonesia for the Swirls. My phone needs to go back to school for more lernin[emoji12]
Old 03-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Those reels aren't made in China or Indonesia for the Swirls. My phone needs to go back to school for more lernin[emoji12]
RVWorld Not Swirls. Don't know where the he'll that came from.

Tags
50 amp