Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2020, 11:37 AM   #1

Arrow Blue Ridge Parkway - see the leaves

STEVE 2014 LEGACY - trip on the Blue Ridge

in reply to your private message, which I accidentally deleted - here's the lowdown on our trips thru the Blue Ridge Parkway...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ahhhh, our 'sister', the Legacy! Our Palazzo is almost identical - apparently Thor and FR pulled from the same plans back in 2012 when they started these great coaches!

Now, as for the 'fall leaves a' turnin', that really is a 'hit and miss' opportunity because it changes from year to year - a really 'dry' year and it happens much quicker, a wet year, seemingly like this one, it may not be til November, or even Thanksgiving... it's hard to really pin down.

As for the Blue Ridge Parkway - you'll love it, or you'll not - so - much, depending on how confident you are, and your aggravation or annoyance from vehicles that can sometimes not be so patient behind you - though there really are plenty of pull offs for those situations - viewing places, if you will.

You'll have no issues with the parkway, no matter 'where' you start, or finish. The 'low' tunnels are all within 6-12 miles of the 'end' of the parkway in Cherokee, NC, but even those, while posted sometimes as low as 10'6", are all still fine for your rig, just drive down the 'middle' of the lane on the lowest, straggling the middle line... the tunnels or so short that it's doubtful that anyone is coming that wouldn't see you anyway - your highest point of your coach is your air conditioners, on the middle, so the edges are of little concern, even if you have to move over some.
My wife drove our toad(Ford Focus) ahead of me during the first few tunnels, and just cleared the way and made sure it was clear for me.
A word of advice for these tunnels - go thru this area in the morning hours, where there will be much less traffic.

You can stay at campgrounds on the parkway, or you can find many just off - but beware of some of the routes to these 'off parkway' areas, as sometimes those roads are actually more tight than the parkway itself - looking at google maps and the 'overview' will give you some great ideas.

Thru Asheville there are several good rv parks to choose from, with GERTIES and CAMP FIRE being the two that come to mind. GERTIES has some very 'high' cliff-side sites that have GREAT views - but are VERY hard to come by, reservations wise. CAMP FIRE is difficult to get to, up a long one-way road to the 'top', but VERY VERY worth it! The views of the mountains and the French Broad river WAY down below are just fantastic! GET your reservation early!

Now, I wouldn't suggest biting off too many miles each day - this is NOT an interstate - maybe 25 to 50miles per day will result in great views, less stress, time to stop and enjoy views, and might even be a good measure 'between' campgrounds.

Enjoy...You'll do fine - don't fret it!
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 12:11 PM   #2

Check the site linked below for current road and facility closures. With Covid-19 concerns, this seems to be a dynamic situation.

https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm
Old 09-15-2020, 08:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
Check the site linked below for current road and facility closures. With Covid-19 concerns, this seems to be a dynamic situation.

https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm

Thanks, I’ll add that to my sites to look at.

Steve
Old 09-15-2020, 09:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post

in reply to your private message, which I accidentally deleted - here's the lowdown on our trips thru the Blue Ridge Parkway...

ahhhh, our 'sister', the Legacy! Our Palazzo is almost identical - apparently Thor and FR pulled from the same plans back in 2012 when they started these great coaches!

Now, as for the 'fall leaves a' turnin', that really is a 'hit and miss' opportunity because it changes from year to year - a really 'dry' year and it happens much quicker, a wet year, seemingly like this one, it may not be til November, or even Thanksgiving... it's hard to really pin down.

As for the Blue Ridge Parkway - you'll love it, or you'll not - so - much, depending on how confident you are, and your aggravation or annoyance from vehicles that can sometimes not be so patient behind you - though there really are plenty of pull offs for those situations - viewing places, if you will.

You'll have no issues with the parkway, no matter 'where' you start, or finish. The 'low' tunnels are all within 6-12 miles of the 'end' of the parkway in Cherokee, NC, but even those, while posted sometimes as low as 10'6", are all still fine for your rig, just drive down the 'middle' of the lane on the lowest, straggling the middle line... the tunnels or so short that it's doubtful that anyone is coming that wouldn't see you anyway - your highest point of your coach is your air conditioners, on the middle, so the edges are of little concern, even if you have to move over some.

My wife drove our toad(Ford Focus) ahead of me during the first few tunnels, and just cleared the way and made sure it was clear for me.

A word of advice for these tunnels - go thru this area in the morning hours, where there will be much less traffic.

You can stay at campgrounds on the parkway, or you can find many just off - but beware of some of the routes to these 'off parkway' areas, as sometimes those roads are actually more tight than the parkway itself - looking at google maps and the 'overview' will give you some great ideas.

Thru Asheville there are several good rv parks to choose from, with GERTIES and CAMP FIRE being the two that come to mind. GERTIES has some very 'high' cliff-side sites that have GREAT views - but are VERY hard to come by, reservations wise. CAMP FIRE is difficult to get to, up a long one-way road to the 'top', but VERY VERY worth it! The views of the mountains and the French Broad river WAY down below are just fantastic! GET your reservation early!

Now, I wouldn't suggest biting off too many miles each day - this is NOT an interstate - maybe 25 to 50miles per day will result in great views, less stress, time to stop and enjoy views, and might even be a good measure 'between' campgrounds.

I knew you’d be a good resource for this trip. One site I’ve been looking at identifies a couple low tunnels at the Virginia end but nothing down south in NC. I’ll have to go back and look at these. I put a lot of faith in my Garmin RV gps so, probably follow the re-routes when advised.

Our dates for the trip have changed a little as my son’s school schedule is changing. It looks like we will now be going the last two weeks of October and the first week of November. That might work in our favor.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 10-25-2020, 05:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post

Just got settled in to our site at Gerties yesterday. Love it! Of course, couldn’t get a site “up top” but nice place anyway. We spent the week meandering through S. Carolina so, been a nice trip so far.

Got any “don’t miss” activities in the area you’d recommend? We’re going to the WNC Farmers Market this morning and hoping to find an apple orchard still open.

Tags
blue ridge