Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2019, 05:00 PM   #1

Bolt on Entrance Steps

I have broken the bolt that operates the retractable steps on my 2015 Legacy 2 times and I don't know why it keeps breaking. Any ideas ?
skip33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:15 PM   #2
RV There Yet?

Where are you getting the bolt from? it could be that it is an inferior metal or it could be the wrong strength for what is needed. if you "upgrade" the bolt to something stronger (grade 8-10) you may end up with something else giving way.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:16 PM   #3

The RV repair shop got the first replacement bolt from the maker of the steps. I’ll ask when they get the new bolt if they know how hard (#) the bolt is.
Thanks !
Old 02-27-2019, 02:36 AM   #4
RV There Yet?

they may not know, the video below may help you out. all too often I run into unknown bolts, or some that can only be tightened with a vice grips as there is no real head size (Chinese bolts).

Old 02-28-2019, 07:31 AM   #5

My wife was one who would drop all her weight at one time onto the lower step. Put a lot or stress on attachment points. No matter how much or how littlt you weigh, a jolt like that can overload steps.
Good grade 8 bolts will help. Available everywhere. Even Lowes Good lick
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:35 AM   #6

Step jump

My wife was one who would drop all her weight at one time onto the lower step. Put a lot or stress on attachment points. No matter how much or how little you weigh, a jolt like that can overload steps.
Good grade 8 bolts will help. Available everywhere. Even Lowes Good lick
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:03 AM   #7

As an added thought, be sure to regularly lubricate all the joints and gears on your steps. It will take some of the stress off the bolt. Remember, the steps are right behind the wheel and are subject to the pressure washer effect when you're driving on wet roads. Check often, and you'll be surprised how quickly the lubricants get blasted off.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:36 AM   #8

One of my upgrades down the road is to install some solid steps on my Surveyor. That might be a solution to the weak, wiggly and shaky suspended steps found on many RV's.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Lippe...-p/04-0196.htm
Old 03-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the help. I replaced the bolt and got a spare one for when I’m on the road but I hope it never breaks again.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #10

while we've never broken the step or bolt on our Palazzo, I do ask my family to 'tread lightly' as they exit the coach... though many times our step is almost not even needed since dropping the air bags sits it so low...

but, I eventually did build a treated-wood step that is a larger foot-print, and slides over the coach step, when we are parked for extended periods... makes life simpler, no more worries over the existing step, and keeps those entering from 'rocking the boat'... if you know what I mean. : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote