Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2017, 07:55 AM   #1

CB install?

Anyone install a CB?

I bought a no ground plane antenna that is a side mount but was wondering with the antenna that is on roof, coach may be pre wired for a cb antenna up there.

Any ideas? Anyone mess with the antenna on roof?
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:43 AM   #2

I have a class C on a Ford E450. I installed a cb and can say the most important thing is to tune the antenna with a swr meter. Also suggested is to use an 18ft. Antenna cable and do not tightly coil any extra. Some CB's come with built in meters and make the process very simple.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlm17 View Post
I have a class C on a Ford E450. I installed a cb and can say the most important thing is to tune the antenna with a swr meter. Also suggested is to use an 18ft. Antenna cable and do not tightly coil any extra. Some CB's come with built in meters and make the process very simple.
CB I bought has the built in meter. Also bought the firestik ngp antenna with side mount. Issue I'm having is whether or not to drill through side wall above driver window or there is an antenna on roof already with a ball type mount. Can this location be modified to use since there is already a hole under it with wiring going to dash area?

This seems to be the tricky part of the instAll and just want it planned out before I start drilling!
Old 04-09-2017, 10:59 AM   #4

Anything can be modified. With that said running a cable along side of an existing cable may be much more difficult than you think. Many times cable's are run during construction and it may be impossible to run the cable the same way once the unit is complete. Before drilling I would attempt to snake a fiberglass snake through existing hole. If it does not work then a new hole can be drilled. With any luck the existing line to the roof is in some sort of chase way.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
Just as confused as you

I do know if you swap out the AM/FM antenna and the cable with the CB antenna then you could use both radios, AM/FM will work with a CB antenna.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
I do know if you swap out the AM/FM antenna and the cable with the CB antenna then you could use both radios, AM/FM will work with a CB antenna.
How can you use two radios, CB and am/fm with the can antenna and wiring?
Old 04-12-2017, 08:27 AM   #7
Just as confused as you

You put a 2-way splitter the in the lead in from the antenna, then run a lead to each radio. I did that with a magnetic mount CB radio antenna mounted on a flat steel roof at work. Being that the roof of the operator's tower was at 65ft, I could hear the drivers coming in before any one else. Being that I was not the one they wanted to talk to, I just listened for their calls then relayed to the crane operator by fm walkie they were coming in.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:57 PM   #8

I have exactly the same antenna you have and love it. I did in fact drill through the slide on the driver's side the use stainless machine screws and self locking nuts on the inside. I made a piece of knotched moulding stained to match to hide the wire. All works great, use it all the time when traveling with friends.
Old 11-28-2017, 05:39 PM   #9
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
How can you use two radios, CB and am/fm with the can antenna and wiring?
I actually forgot about this thread. Here's how to do it.

3-WAY (AM/FM/CB) ANTENNA
Compliments of Firestik® Antenna Company Technical Support Team
Copyright © 1996 Firestik® Antenna Company
If you want a 3-way antenna, start with the CB antenna. Get a good one! Then pick-up a tunable 3-way splitter. First, tune the CB antenna without the splitter in line to establish a set of reference points. Next, put the splitter in-line (connected to the CB, the AM/FM radio and the antenna) and recheck the SWR. Make any fine adjustments for the CB antenna with the appropriate adjusting device on the splitter. And finally, tune in a local AM broadcast station in your area and tweak the AM adjustment on the splitter to get best reception.

Firestik AR-1A Match-Maker - CB-AM/FM Splitter is no longer in production.

Search for
cb/am/fm antenna splitter
or
cb antenna to am/fm adapter
ProComm Im-AF Splitter CB AM FM Radio Audio Stereo Antenna MultiPlexor https://www.amazon.com/ProComm-Split.../dp/B00HPH23LA
AM/FM & CB Radio 3-Way Antenna Splitter
https://www.amazon.com/AM-FM-CB-Ante.../dp/B0045J9Z3K