Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2017, 09:19 PM   #1

Freezing Temps

We live in So. Florida so no experience with the freezing water thing. Lol. We're going to Atlanta area for a week at thanksgiving. While it's not the same as Montana, they sometimes have overnight temps drop below freezing. Do I need to be concerned about water lines freezing for these short periods? We will be staying in the RV so will have the furnace on. Has anyone found the rumored heat vent in the wet bay?
Old 10-26-2017, 08:03 AM   #2

I doubt if the Atlanta area will have temps below freezing around Thanksgiving but you never know.

You only have to worry about freezing pipes if the temperature gets below freezing for 36 - 48 hours. Since you'll be using the water there will be flow thru the pipes which will further inhibit freezing along with your using the furnace.

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:13 AM   #3

we have your 'twin', a Palazzo, and have traveled extensively... including freezing temps, snow, and sleet at the Grand Canyon's Trailer Village, Red Rock Park at Gallup New Mexico, a foot of snow and ice thru Tonopah Nevada(we then turned South and went to Las Vegas!), and the worst was probably several nights at the Thor Service Center in Wakarusa Indiana in February!.... but....

the only issue has ever been a frozen OUTSIDE WATER HOSE.

- your wetbay, if you keep the doors and entrance holes closed, should be fine, even when temps fall below freezing for a few hours thru the night or morning hours - it's not enough time to really do any freezing in water lines.
- your Furnace should also provide some heating to the wetbay
- and you can take more action, like we do, which is to sit a small electric heater in the wetbay, which comes on whenever the temps get too low, just enough heat to maintain above freezing temps in the bay, even if/when you're not using the furnace

- unhook your outside water hose, drain the water from it, and store it for the night in the wet bay, or even indoors - it's a lot easier to handle when it's not frozen!

- as for the gray/black tanks and the water tank - generally the amount of water in the water tank keeps it from freezing, even if temps fall below freezing for many hours - the gray/black tanks generally don't have issues with freezing for similar reasons, though you can make yourself feel better if you need to by running some hot water down the sink, and pouring some in the toilet at bedtime.

enjoy.... : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:21 AM   #4

Thanks both to ceedog and formerfr for the info. That makes me feel better. I was worried about the smaller diameter water lines that run all around the wet bay as well has the volute in the water pump. Sound like we should be fine.
Old 10-31-2017, 05:38 AM   #5

Oh, one more question on this topic.....Any chance I would run out of propane in 6 days of furnace use? And, any recommendations on small space heaters for a backup?
Old 11-05-2017, 09:05 AM   #6

I usually use my heat pumps (they're good until the temps get below 40 deg) & if needed I use a space heater. Why use my propane since I'm already paying for the electricity.

Be careful where you plug the space heater in. If you plug it into the circuit for the TV's it will trip your inverter breaker.

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote