Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2021, 07:36 PM   #1

House Battery Life

Am I correct that the Legacy does not have an automatic battery cutoff when house batteries get down to the 50% mark? I know about the LBCO setting on the MERC controller but I believe this only shuts off the inverter, not the 12v supply to things like lights, water pump, furnace blower, etc.

If so, what do most do to protect against over-discharging their batteries when dry camping and either away for the day or sleeping overnight?
Old 09-22-2021, 02:01 AM   #2

Doesn't your MH come with automatic generator start?

In mine I can adjust these settings in order to prevent battery to drain to far.

I think I've got is set at 12,1V before generator comes on.

If you sent me PM I can sent you the manuals.

Regards,
F.
Filos Hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:46 AM   #3

I installed a battery monitor. It doesn't actively do anything except give an audio alert when the battery is nearing the magic 50% level. It measures current consumed so it's not just a volt meter as some of the cheaper solutions are. It is a Renogy 500 A monitor. I don't know the exact model.

Jim.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy View Post
I installed a battery monitor. It doesn't actively do anything except give an audio alert when the battery is nearing the magic 50% level. It measures current consumed so it's not just a volt meter as some of the cheaper solutions are. It is a Renogy 500 A monitor. I don't know the exact model.

Jim.
Agree. If you are going to spend a lot of time running off your house bank you really need to put in an SOC meter. Lots of options. It will tell you what is going on at all times including charge or discharge current, SOC, charge voltages, etc. I always glance at it when connecting to shore power or starting up the engine to make sure the charging systems are good.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filos Hippos View Post
Doesn't your MH come with automatic generator start?

In mine I can adjust these settings in order to prevent battery to drain to far.

I think I've got is set at 12,1V before generator comes on.

If you sent me PM I can sent you the manuals.

Regards,

F.

Yes, of course it has a generator and auto start. But almost all campgrounds have “quite hours” over night and many federal sites only allow generator use a few hours in the morning and evening. I’m looking for a way to prevent over-discharge during the in-between times.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy View Post

Jim.

I plan to install a battery monitor. I’m hearing the Victron model is good. Also, just learned that Magnum has a module that can be added to my system without running new wires to the interior of the coach (I think). I like the idea of an audible alert though so, I’ll see if these to choices have that.

I know the marine industry has devices that mount to the battery and monitors voltage. When the voltage drops to a preselected point, it disconnects power leaving you enough juice to start the motor. Would like to see something like this for RV application.

Going to look more at the “Store” switch, mounted near the entry, which disconnects the batteries. Seems like that already does this. I just don’t know what it is set at and, is it customizable.

Thanks

Tags
battery