Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #1

Legacy Q's for new owner

We dry camp often, i have a little honda 3000 generator to keep the batteries up, without running the big on board generator. However plugging it into the shoreline does not seem to charge the house batteries. Am I missing something? I don't run anything on the little generator, just want a trickle charge. My thought is if i connect the batteries to a seperate charger and plug that into the little generator it would work. My fellow campers do this on their 5th wheels and and have no issue, but myself in the 2014 legacy and another family in another class A have the same issue.

Also thanks for adding me to the forum, I've posted a pic of our rig at Catalina State Park in Tucson AZ yesterday.
P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	catalina state park RV.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	612.5 KB
ID:	159151  
lazyPAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyPAZ View Post
We dry camp often, i have a little honda 3000 generator to keep the batteries up, without running the big on board generator. However plugging it into the shoreline does not seem to charge the house batteries. Am I missing something? I don't run anything on the little generator, just want a trickle charge. My thought is if i connect the batteries to a seperate charger and plug that into the little generator it would work. My fellow campers do this on their 5th wheels and and have no issue, but myself in the 2014 legacy and another family in another class A have the same issue.

Also thanks for adding me to the forum, I've posted a pic of our rig at Catalina State Park in Tucson AZ yesterday.
P
Do they charge from a 50/30amp shore power service or the big generator?

I’m thinking it may have to do with bypassing the magnum converter/charging system when hooking up to an external generator.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by psw757 View Post
Do they charge from a 50/30amp shore power service or the big generator?

I’m thinking it may have to do with bypassing the magnum converter/charging system when hooking up to an external generator.
Yes they charge from both the big generator and a 30A shore line.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Yes they charge from both the big generator and a 30A shore line.
Then that means the normal operating of the system is working correctly.

How many amps is the Honda putting out when your using it and are you plugging into it or running something directly to batteries?
Old 12-28-2017, 06:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Then that means the normal operating of the system is working correctly.

How many amps is the Honda putting out when your using it and are you plugging into it or running something directly to batteries?
Thanks for your reply, the generator is plugged into the shore line, it is rated for 21.7a at 2600w and 25a at peak output 3000w.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
7 Year Class A RV'er

Any particular reason you don’t just use the onboard diesel generator? Not really very loud and a lot more fuel efficient. When our power was out after the hurricane this summer we moved into the RV in the driveway and stayed four days and nights with the generator goingfor both AC units, fridge, TV and ran a cord to a freezer two fridges in the house. Couldn’t believe we only used like 25 gallons of fuel total for the four days.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 01:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Any particular reason you don’t just use the onboard diesel generator? Not really very loud and a lot more fuel efficient. When our power was out after the hurricane this summer we moved into the RV in the driveway and stayed four days and nights with the generator goingfor both AC units, fridge, TV and ran a cord to a freezer two fridges in the house. Couldn’t believe we only used like 25 gallons of fuel total for the four days.
I will if running the a/c etc, but seems like a waste to charge the batteries. Plus it puts less hours on the unit.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:11 AM   #8

Quote:

P

It should charge the batteries if you plugged into shore power. You need to make sure the system is cut on. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1514729427.383493.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	159286
jonj15546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:48 AM   #9

I read through the original post again and it got me thinking about this again. It works fine off the coach generator and the coach shore power cord.

It isn't or doesn't appear to work when running the Honda generator which is powering a small trickle charger which is connected directly to batteries.

Is there a chance that it could be charging or possibly not at enough of a rate to exceed whatever power you may be using during this type of setup.

My other thought is that you are totally bypassing the Magnum charging/inv/conv system and it may not be able to accurately monitor the batteries state.

Maybe try and get a independent charge reading (not what the magnum display indicates) then run your setup for a bit and take another reading.

Other than that not sure what else to look at.
Old 12-31-2017, 06:07 PM   #10

Quote:
I read through the original post again and it got me thinking about this again. It works fine off the coach generator and the coach shore power cord.

It isn't or doesn't appear to work when running the Honda generator which is powering a small trickle charger which is connected directly to batteries.

Is there a chance that it could be charging or possibly not at enough of a rate to exceed whatever power you may be using during this type of setup.

My other thought is that you are totally bypassing the Magnum charging/inv/conv system and it may not be able to accurately monitor the batteries state.

Maybe try and get a independent charge reading (not what the magnum display indicates) then run your setup for a bit and take another reading.

Other than that not sure what else to look at.

Yea hooking up directly to the batteries should charge them bypassing the magnum system.
jonj15546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:04 PM   #11

I think I understand why you are trying to make use of a 'smaller' generator for 'only' charging the batteries, but the Cummins diesel generator is designed to do just that, and VERY QUICKLY compared to your smaller low output generator you are carrying around.

Make sure that you are making FULL USE of your on-board generator when it is running:

- if you only need it to charge the batteries, then make sure the SHORE MAX button is pressed, and the value is moved up to 50 or 60 amps. This allows the CHARGER to use up to these amount of amps to quickly charge the batteries, otherwise a lower number 'limits' the Charger during the generator run time. The default is 30, which is fine if you are also using the microwave, AC units, or other higher draw items while the generator is running, otherwise use the highest number you can.

- your AGS and it's settings allow your generator to maintain you battery voltage levels quite easily and automatically. 'Enable' the AGS, then set the 'Voltage' to 12 or 11.9. Make the 'Run Time' a simple and quick 30 Minutes. Then let it do it's work as often as it needs to. It really uses little diesel, but provides an excellent off-grid powerplant.

- keep your secondary generator for emergencies.

as for your "Am I missing something? I don't run anything on the little generator, just want a trickle charge." comment:
I'm not sure a trickle charge will 'recharge' your House batteries - they need a 'BULK' charge, which requires power, maybe more than your smaller generator can provide. It's output has to be enough to bring the batteries enough amps to give them back their charge - a trickle charge is not enough. Your Magnum Charger has three levels: Bulk, Float, and Absorb. Your Magnum charger may require a certain amount of amps before it can move to BULK mode when you have the Shore Power cord plugged into the smaller generator.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #12

I also have a 340 and dry camp most of the time. I have the AGS (automatic generator start) system set up and love it. If it’s cold(Canadian) and my furnace has to run regularly through the night the generator may run 3 times from bedtime until breakfast. If it’s nice just once to keep the fridge going. No hauling gas. No lugging a generator. I used to haul this with my fifth wheel. Thrilled I don’t have to with this unit. Happy camping.
Just starting is offline   Reply With Quote