Old 05-13-2018, 09:28 AM   #1

Line 2 brownout

Camping in 100 degree heat. Checked my power control panel in power management. Line 1 reads 114v, 13 Amps, 26%. Line 2 reads brownout, 78 volts 1 amp, 2 percent.

Everything seems to be working fine. Do I have an issue? What does line 2 brownout mean?

jvenditte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #2

If there is anything substantial on line 2...yes, you will have a problem. I would check the pedestal and see if the voltages match what you are reading. Should have 120 volts between neutral and ground on both legs! If you don't, whatever is on leg 2 is susceptible to burning out, especially an AC unit.

Hopefully, your "power management" system will have disconnected line 2.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #3

Like Scott said, check the pedestal. If the problem is there report it immediately. If not check where your cables connect to your converter (with power off). Most likely a loose connection somewhere. Could easily lead to overheating and a fire.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Like Scott said, check the pedestal. If the problem is there report it immediately. If not check where your cables connect to your converter (with power off). Most likely a loose connection somewhere. Could easily lead to overheating and a fire.
Thanks, line two is running the back air conditioner. I shut that off and nothing else seems to be drawing current.
Old 05-13-2018, 01:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvenditte View Post
Thanks, line two is running the back air conditioner. I shut that off and nothing else seems to be drawing current.
Technician indicated the air conditioner could not operate on a 78v line. Suspects the monitor to be giving an incorrect reading. Suggested I reboot. I have both lines getting 120v at the source but when I read from the coach, it shows the drop to 78v on line 2.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:05 PM   #6

It sounds like youíve got a bad connection between the source and the coach. With any load, it will heat up at that bad connection. If you verified the 78 volts with a separate meter, your monitor is probably not wrong.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #7

If the AC is running, you don't have 78 volts. Now the problem is to find out why the panel thinks you do?

2015 335DS
Old 05-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #8

Flipped the breakers at the pedestal. Seemed to fix the problem......
Old 05-13-2018, 06:57 PM   #9

I think I would move to another camp site ASAP.
Andersen hitch
Old 05-06-2020, 05:32 AM   #10

I realize this is old but it has raised concerns for me. I just bought a 2018 Legacy, took the first trip a couple of weeks ago and it said Line 1 Brownout and my front air conditioner/ heat pump didnít work. Everything works fine on generator. Trouble shooting I thought it was the campsites power. Now home plugged into my house 50 amp it will say the same thing. But it isnít all the time. The line 1 is in red text, not sure what that means. Is there trouble shooting I should do at the RV? Scared I have a short or bad ground somewhere but would have no idea where to start looking.
Favfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:03 AM   #11

A loose connection can cause a voltage drop (brownout.) Since this occurs while plugged in and not on generator check the connection of you power supply cord to the power distribution center (the breaker box.) Make sure all connections are tight.
Andersen hitch
Old 05-06-2020, 07:23 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
A loose connection can cause a voltage drop (brownout.) Since this occurs while plugged in and not on generator check the connection of you power supply cord to the power distribution center (the breaker box.) Make sure all connections are tight.

Thanks. The Breaker box in the RV or shore side? I am on an extensions cord (RV 50 amp cord) so that adds a connection point. On the plug is one prong for line 1 and another for Line 2? Thinking one is maybe dirty and need cleaned.
Favfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:53 AM   #13

It could be either but I would check the breaker box inside the RV first. Unplug first! If that doesn't fix the problem then check the outlet, home breaker, etc.
Andersen hitch
Old 05-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #14
...far N Georgia!

I would suggest to check:

- the ATS(Automatic transfer switch), which seems to be the common denominator in your story - a loose connection at the point the SHORE CORD comes into it... (especially the 'LINE 1' connection)

- or, the shore cord itself, as in the ENDS where the wires are connected to the brass prongs... if your cord is not of the 'molded' type, where you have access to those wires.

- your EXTENSION cord ends, if this is the same cord you also used at the campground

The Turners...
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel 100k+miles since '14... US, Alaska, Canada...
AND a '14 Gulfstream Amerlite
AND a '07 ForestRIver Rockwood : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #15

I have had this issue in the past as well.
The system does not update all of the time and instead shows the lowest recorded voltage. Unless you hit the main house battery kill switch by the door to reset the screen on the wall you wont ever see any other voltage.
Its dumb to me but this is how they show that you have had a low voltage when your not around to stare at the panel all day. It most likely dipped one or more times at the pedestal and you need to reset the system to clear the error.
NickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:59 PM   #16

Line 1 and line 2 are colored for demonstration purposes only. Brownout means you had low or high voltage spike at some point. If you go to another page on the panel and go back and its clear, all is good. If it stays on there may be an issue. Low voltage and spikes are more common than people think and the system is very sensitive to this and will track it.
Maingler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 04:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickC View Post
I have had this issue in the past as well.
The system does not update all of the time and instead shows the lowest recorded voltage. Unless you hit the main house battery kill switch by the door to reset the screen on the wall you wont ever see any other voltage.
Its dumb to me but this is how they show that you have had a low voltage when your not around to stare at the panel all day. It most likely dipped one or more times at the pedestal and you need to reset the system to clear the error.
I am not familiar with this setup. Caching a brownout is a good idea so that you know that you had a brownout in the past when you look at the panel. HOWEVER, preventing that leg from running after the brownout is gone...is a bad idea! Are you saying that the system will not allow power to flow from that leg until you reset it? Waiting for some time before re-enabling that leg is good practice, waiting for an non-obvious reset would be a lousy design.

If this is not the case,I agree that transfer switch shore power connection or bad cord (or extension) is where I would look.

2015 335DS
Old 05-12-2020, 12:57 PM   #18

Mystery Brownout Alerts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvenditte View Post
Camping in 100 degree heat. Checked my power control panel in power management. Line 1 reads 114v, 13 Amps, 26%. Line 2 reads brownout, 78 volts 1 amp, 2 percent.

Everything seems to be working fine. Do I have an issue? What does line 2 brownout mean?
To prevent damage to expensive components (AC units, refers, Microwaves), early versions of the Precision Circuits Multiplex system were REALLY sensitive when it came to monitoring for low voltage conditions (Brownouts). This usually happens when connected to a park pedestal & multiple coaches have AC units cycling. Most of the time, the condition is intermittent (milliseconds), & works itself out naturally before any damage is done, but the alert still activates to inform you of the occurence.
If a brownout is actually occuring, the PrecPlex Energy Management System (EMS) will automatically shed (turn off) any loads on the line experiencing the brownout until the event has been resolved. For example, if you have 55V on Line 2, the EMS will turn off Bedroom AC (& any other Line 2 loads) until the voltage is back to normal.

There are 2 things you can do to clear the alert: 1 option- Start the generator, once the transfer switch switches to Generator power, the PrecPlex system will automatically clear the brownout condition. 2nd Option - reboot the PrecPlex System (cycle the disconnect sw by the door). It will clear the event & return the system to normal operation.

FYI, updates have been made to the PrecPlex software so that the brownout alert is only displayed under the more severe circumstances. If you continue to see nuisance brownout alerts, You can get it resolved by either contacting Danny or Nick @ Precision Circuits directly.
Here is their contact info:
Phone:
(630)-515-9100 EXT:704
Email:
tech@precisioncircuitsinc.com

or Mike Winterrowd at the Berkshire Dsl Customer service
email: mwinterrowd@forestriverinc.com

Any of them would both be happy to help you get this resolved.
red0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:00 PM   #19

Berkshire brown out

We have a 2018 Berkshire tha since day 1 has given us a problem with brown outs! Sometimes on one line or the other but most times on both. When that happens we loose cold air from AC or heat in the winter. Nothing else seems to loose power, still have lights, etc. We have stayed at several RV Parks and it has happened at everyone of them. Last time I walked into the coach to 90 degrees and the ac never stopped running, pushed hot air. Thank god we didnít leave the dog in there that day. It does it when itís plugged in at home to 50 amp service and also when the generator is running. Last thing we were told to do was replace the batteries. Everything Iíve read says the ac units still work but mine does not. Now my husband is using it as a hotel near our job and itís summer. Canít find anyone to do warranty work and Iím at my breaking point. Please help me before I melt away.
brgurda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #20
...far N Georgia!

sorry to hear that, and my quick suggestion would be that it could be loose wire connections within the ATS( automatic transfer switch), or the 50amp Main Breakers within your electrical panel. I doubt any of this would have anything to do with 'batteries'...

The Turners...
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel 100k+miles since '14... US, Alaska, Canada...
AND a '14 Gulfstream Amerlite
AND a '07 ForestRIver Rockwood : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote