Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #1
gspage53

Send a message via Yahoo to gspage53
Manufacturer Open House Thoughts

Quote from Elkharttruth.com about the RV Manufacturer's Open House there in Sept 17th.

"RV Open House Week, now involving all Elkhart-based manufacturers, has evolved from an idea Forest River CEO Pete Liegl had seven years ago. The idea was allow RV makers to entertain dealers and encourage them to place next year’s orders earlier than the Louisville show. The earlier orders give factories more work during a time of the year that was once so slow it brought widespread layoffs. The manufacturers offer dealers discounts to give them an incentive to take delivery of the units earlier, resulting in them gathering snow on their lots longer."

It makes me wonder out loud about buying now this late in the season? When a new year's unit comes out in the spring, suddenly you can get the same unit when it becomes "Last Years Unit" for 40 to 50 thousand less.The media speculates that the RVIA ( RV Industry Association) and the RVDA ( RV Dealers Association) are at odds because some manufacturers are releasing their 2016 units in a few weeks and that makes the quote up there a lot more pertinent to those of us that can afford to buy a 152,000 Georgetown but would rather have a 152,000 Legacy.

That is a lot of difference!

Stan and Patti
2014 Georgetown 351DS
gspage53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 03:29 AM   #2
Plain Old Member

I think the year model thing has gotten a little out of hand. Everything has gotten like that. I always thought, you should not be able to get a 2015 unit, until January 1st of 2015. Before you know it, you'll be getting 2 year models ahead. Even Christmas has gotten like that. We haven't even got through Halloween and Thanksgiving, and they got Christmas stuff in the stores. Why's everybody in such a darn hurry? Slow down dangit, enjoy life at a slower pace.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 04:23 AM   #3

Yes Sir this Stuff started in the (60s) with (62 1/2) Cars coming out! Crazy ! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:35 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I work on tooling for the automotive industry and we are always working on models up to 2 years in advance of release. Just finished bumper molds for 2016 Honda. Its a big race between manufacturers to get the newest model out first to boost sales. This can be can be a benefit for the savvy buyer though. I bought a 2013 GMC in the fall of 2013, when the new 2015 models were shown and announced a spring 2014 release, at a huge discount. I say, let them play their games and take advantage of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote