Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #1

New 2017 Forest River Legacy SR340 360RB...yes or no?

Hi everyone,
We're looking into getting our first RV and would like your opinion on the 2017 Legacy SR340 360RB. Our research pointed to some issues but for the most part the owners are happy campers. Dealer in SC said they're trying to move their brand-new 2017 models to make room for 2018 ones and they have a 2017 going for $170k... 1 1/2 baths, nice interior, king bed...everything we were looking for.

Does anyone have any experience with the 2017 Legacy or just FR Legacys in general? Our first RV choice was a Tiffin...but of course the new ones are out of our price range and the used ones are hard to come by. We want a solid coach; don't need a whole lot of bells and whistles, something that wouldn't leave us stranded on the side of the road. Any suggestions on the Legacy would be greatly appreciated...thank you!

Lynn
lynnsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #2

I have a 2015 SR340 360RB and am very happy with it. Trade a smaller gasser and wish I had done this sooner!
norwin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:41 PM   #3

I have the 2017 38c. I doubt they are much different in technology, the layout just differs. This is a bunk house model.

These have allot of technology built in, so it comes with bells and whistles. I do not think their is a such thing as a new "solid" rv, they are all pretty screwed up when they come out of the factory. BUT, forest river does a good job on warrantys.

Just getting back from 7000 mile trip and have plenty of warrannty BS to contend with, which I expected. BUT all the important things work fine. Engine, transmission, AC, fridge, slideouts, water heater.

My warranty items
Headlights suck
Compression bar broke on outside storage cabinet
Not leveling properly
Speakers and radio REALLY SUCK! lots of static
Be careful, switches over bed shine right in your face. They send me new one to replace.
Backup camera not working at night (infered fails)
Lost both of my front wheel caps
AC grill broke
Washing machine cabinet door broke.
Need to add cigereete light for my equipment
Couple other things I have written down.

In general I am happy with it, my last 2 rvs I bought new and brought them in for warranty repairs within the first year. ALL rvs including tiffin will most likey encounter issues in the first year. Tis why people like to buy used from good owners who alreayd fixed all the problems.

WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT, buy from a manufacturer that honors warranty ( forest river & tiffin ) and generally does a good build job, I think you can throw forest river in the category. My last RV was also a forest river FR3, now that is a no frills RV ( but it is gas )

Last but not least, I recommend Forest River, as with any RV, if you have a good dealer who treats you well, that is half the battle. Some rv dealers are not very good about timely honoring warranty repairs.

I bought mine from lazy days in florida, my last rv from a dealer in hobe sound florida (they only sold gas rv), both were very good and very reputable. That is half the battle because like I said, all rvs off the build floor have problems, no getting around it, wish it was not that way, but it is the way this industry is in my opinion.
linchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #4

If you're willing to go outside of your local area, MHSRV in Texas is advertising a '17 360RB for $159K, which mean you may get some off that.

https://www.rvtrader.com/dealers/Mot....com-121190894
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:59 AM   #5

we've had a 'twin' Thor Palazzo 33.3 Bunkhouse for 3 years, 75,000 miles, recently to Alaska for two months, and now in beautiful western NC mountains for a season...

the ISB6.7L engine is perfect for these motorcoaches, with us averaging around 12mpg everywhere we've been... including driving over Independence Pass/the Continental Divide near Aspen Colorado, the RimRock cliffs drive within the Colorado National Monument at Fruita, CO, or here over the mountain passes on either side of Franklin, NC.

the 'low' sitting XCS chassis provides easy entrance, with only a single step (which sometimes itself is not even needed!)...see how many steps every other coach has!

the front bunk, even if not needed for sleeping, can be used for storage, which is a big plus... the bunks can even be used for storage, or as a couch/sitting area, if not used for sleeping. And my favorite part is the orientation of our queen bed - against the rear wall, with walking room around BOTH sides.

We originally looked at the 36.1 model(bath/1/2, no bunks) but decided on the slightly shorter 33.3 with bunks - each has it's own TV, not just a dvd player.

The four 6v RV batteries and the Magnum inverter provide ongoing power to ALL outlets and appliances(not AC units, of course), and the AGS(Automatic Generator Starter) provides easy 'off grid' worry-free power with the 6k Onan generator.

We've been in every possible 'camping' situation and this self-contained motorcoach can do it all. With time you will learn how to set it up to handle any situation that you encounter - whether 50amps and full hookups at an rv resort, just a 120v outlet at your residence, or a roadside pull-off in Alaska with no power or hookups at all.

This is a very smooth, easy driving motorcoach, and just the right 'length' to easily maneuver into campgrounds and for driving within metro area traffic.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsimpson View Post
Hi everyone,
We're looking into getting our first RV and would like your opinion on the 2017 Legacy SR340 360RB. Our research pointed to some issues but for the most part the owners are happy campers. Dealer in SC said they're trying to move their brand-new 2017 models to make room for 2018 ones and they have a 2017 going for $170k... 1 1/2 baths, nice interior, king bed...everything we were looking for.

Does anyone have any experience with the 2017 Legacy or just FR Legacys in general? Our first RV choice was a Tiffin...but of course the new ones are out of our price range and the used ones are hard to come by. We want a solid coach; don't need a whole lot of bells and whistles, something that wouldn't leave us stranded on the side of the road. Any suggestions on the Legacy would be greatly appreciated...thank you!

Lynn
We have a 2015 Legacy and are very happy with it. Been cross country a couple times, and all over the Canadian Rockies. Just returned from a couple months on the road. I am very nervous about the schwintek slide mechanism for the full wall slide (under engineered), however, I believe the rig you are looking at has a hydraulic mechanism on that slide, much better. However, overall we are very pleased with our rig with 25,000 miles now.
Like all the other posts here, every new rig has issues, we all just work through them one by one. Folks at the FR factory are good about communicating if need be.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:09 PM   #7

We bought a 2014 last year. I wasn't sure about it at the beginning. But after getting a few kinks worked out., really do love it!! I agree with the other replies in here. If I had to replace mine tomorrow, I am pretty sure we'd get a newer Forest River Legeacy.
TKN 516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #8

Love our 2014. Had some warranty issues and have had three trips to the factory. Worth getting the kinks worked out. We live in Indiana so it's not inconvenient to make a run to Elkhart. I think most of our issues were because it was the model year and a new coach. We bought in November at the end of the season and got a good deal too.
SS Groovette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river