Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 10:14 AM   #1

Power - Legacy

We have a 2014 Legacy SR Model LSA340KP-300. Several times now as we are traveling down the road, it just stops. Fortunately we have been on side roads or have just pulled into campgrounds and it's after we have driven just little over 100 miles. We let it sit for a few minutes and it has started right up for us. Trying to figure out what is wrong with it. Has anyone else had/have this problem? And if so what was the solution? We want to take off but afraid we will have issues with it while we might be on an interstate....
Thank you!
mgag
mgag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:53 PM   #2

Check the battery disconnect switch where the engine batteries are. Remember seeing something about these switches going bad and causing symptoms like yours.
CRL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:30 PM   #3
C8dnLegacy

There were some posts on this back in 2015/16. You should be able to find them here. I would also call the freightliner direct number. I’ve found these guys to be very helpful .
Old 07-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgag View Post
We have a 2014 Legacy SR Model LSA340KP-300. Several times now as we are traveling down the road, it just stops. Fortunately we have been on side roads or have just pulled into campgrounds and it's after we have driven just little over 100 miles. We let it sit for a few minutes and it has started right up for us. Trying to figure out what is wrong with it. Has anyone else had/have this problem? And if so what was the solution? We want to take off but afraid we will have issues with it while we might be on an interstate....
Thank you!
mgag
As the previous poster said. Check the cutoff switch in the back by the chassis batteries. They go bad, faulty part or something. Mine did the same thing and it drove me crazy. I bypassed the switch and I've been fine <knock on wood> since doing that.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:50 PM   #5

Ditto

I have a 2014 Legacy and it had the same intermittent power loss prior to failure. Change it now not later......
necasperaterrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by necasperaterrent View Post
I have a 2014 Legacy and it had the same intermittent power loss prior to failure. Change it now not later......

I don’t know how this isn’t a recall. It is by far the most dangerous failure on a vehicle I have ever had. You lose all power, in addition you can’t even run your hazard lights because all chassis power is dead.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:47 PM   #7

Did you ever discover the underlying reason?
Soonerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:10 AM   #8

Pooped out

I have a 2014 legacy which suffered the same symptoms but not long. The Coach battery cutoff switch failure!
Old 08-27-2019, 12:16 AM   #9

Quote:
I have a 2014 legacy which suffered the same symptoms but not long. The Coach battery cutoff switch failure!
It's the same with all the failures. Same for me. This should be a recall. Much more dangerous than the seatbelt recall they sent me.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:46 PM   #10

Thumbs down Recall, hah

My Coach would have to be rebuilt.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:51 PM   #11

Quote:
My Coach would have to be rebuilt.
Oh don't get me wrong. I have all sorts of issues with my Legacy. I've chosen to just fix them myself (including this faulty battery cutoff switch).

It's just laughable that I get a recall on the seatbelt mounts however a issue that seems to hit multiple Legacy's here where you lose ALL chassis power, complete power to the engine, all control of caution lights, etc completely out of nowhere has no acknowledgement from Forest River.

This is much more dangerous of an issue IMO.

Seems every year I'm tearing something else apart that was built like garbage on this thing. Pretty sad for well north of 100k.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:39 AM   #12

Had the same happen to me on my 2018.
Everyone I read is a 2014.
I lost all engine power going at 70mph on highway and all instrument in the dash went dark for about 10 sec.

All came back on just like if I had just turn the key on. It beeped, all lights came on and engine regained power by itself.
I notice a very faint electrical burn smell just prior to this happen.
The Generator was ON and both ACs were going at full power, that did not go off. Did not notice if the radio also turned off or the headlights, I was too preoccupied on what to do next.

Drove some 1500 miles after that and no events.
I did check the switch at the batt and it looks fine, no burn indication or any indication it got hot.

I did talk to FR and Freightliner and they said they never heard of such failure.

Legacy C38. 2018.
South Texas.
SPCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:43 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCF View Post
Had the same happen to me on my 2018.
Everyone I read is a 2014.
I lost all engine power going at 70mph on highway and all instrument in the dash went dark for about 10 sec.

All came back on just like if I had just turn the key on. It beeped, all lights came on and engine regained power by itself.
I notice a very faint electrical burn smell just prior to this happen.
The Generator was ON and both ACs were going at full power, that did not go off. Did not notice if the radio also turned off or the headlights, I was too preoccupied on what to do next.

Drove some 1500 miles after that and no events.
I did check the switch at the batt and it looks fine, no burn indication or any indication it got hot.

I did talk to FR and Freightliner and they said they never heard of such failure.

Replace the battery cutoff switch ASAP. It will fail again. When you look at the switch nothing looks wrong with it, but it is screwed up internally.

It took until it completely failed and would not come back on for us to figure out what it was.

I just took the battery switch out completely as I leave my coach on tenders anyways.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:54 AM   #14

I had this happen back in 2015 and Freightliner replaced under warranty.

In my case it wasn’t the battery cutoff it was a wire harness down near the tranny that got wet and was shorting, we drove through some torrential rain when it happened. I think basically the ECU or something stopped communicating to engine/tranny momentarily.

All my trip computers, date and data in onboard computer were reset to a prior date as well.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:16 AM   #15

We bought our 2014 Legacy used in 2017. Soon after, I experienced the “dead in the water” phenomenon. Really sucked cause I didn’t Evan have power to the hazards lights. Before having it towed, we found a battery cable lug that wasn’t crimped tight and the cable connection was intermittent. I crimped that and several others that were suspect. Later, on another trip (a hurricane evacuation), same loss of power. Battery switch seemed to be the problem so, I removed it and connected directly to the batteries, planning on replacing the switch when I got home. When I picked up the switch by the only cable connected to it, the cable separated from the lug. So, re-crimped these also and have had no problems since. When I went to Freightliner for service, I asked them to check the other ends of the cables that I can’t get to. They did and said all good but, the chassis leave their factory with cables attached at one end. The RV builder cuts to length and crimps lugs on the other ends. So, if anyone is still having this power problem, get the cables crimped in the battery box.
Old 01-04-2022, 03:07 PM   #16

I encountered this problem in October 2020 while descending a mountain in North Carolina. 10:30 p.m. total darkness and everything suddenly shut down. All I could see were the taillights of vehicles ahead of me. After about 90 seconds (while I was trying to figure out what I was going to do) everything just as suddenly came back on.

Forest River was of absolutely no help. They denied any knowledge of the problem and offered no assistance. They recommended I contact the manufacturer of the chassis (Freightliner). Freightliner recommended I have the vehicle inspected at an authorized facility, which I did. The technician found the nuts on the battery shutoff switch that secure the cable ends were loose. He recommended I replace switch. I upgraded to a cutoff switch used for drag cars. The OEM switch (plastic) was about $23. The one I installed cost about $100 and is metal/alloy. While I was replacing the switch I found a lead on a chassis battery cable was not crimped and had pulled off of the cable. The lead was dangling by tape. I soldered all of the leads/cable ends and the problem is hopefully solved.

When we returned from North Carolina, my wife took everything out of the motorhome and said she would never again get inside. We have a trip scheduled next month. I am driving (with the dog). My wife is flying. If I make it alive, she will "consider" returning in the motorhome.

The motorhome fits our needs. If we ever replace it, we will not buy a Forest River/Berkshire Hathaway product. The complete indifference to what we experienced and refusal to be of any assistance was very frustrating.
Ray F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 03:23 PM   #17

All the posts here are spot on, I have had the same issue. Will be difficult to track down but it can be done. By all means change the battery cut off switch even if it seems OK, they are a major source of concern. And the post about battery terminal ends, can be checked by creating a slight load on the batteries (even a dome light) then using a digital volt meter at each end holding one lead on the terminal and the other lead on the wire itself. If any voltage is reading, that connection is bad and could be your problem. This is a pain and takes forever but worth it. Last but not least, there is a Power Distribution Module located in the inverter compartment that contains all the relays, fuses, and circuitry for the Freightliner portion of your coach. If you choose to replace the entire module, it's a days job and the part is about $1,100 but could be the issue. There are some later chassis that had an issue with these modules that were recalled, but our Legacy's are not included in the recall.
Old 01-04-2022, 06:00 PM   #18

Thank you for the information. I will perform the voltmeter test. If the problem occurs again, I will look into the Power Distribution Module.
Ray F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray F View Post
Thank you for the information. I will perform the voltmeter test. If the problem occurs again, I will look into the Power Distribution Module.
I hope all that helps. Since spending lots of hours trying to troubleshoot a similar issue, we have made about 6 different trips with no problems so I hope you have the same experience. We still like our Legacy, just try to fix things as they pop up like any other rig.
captnrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 11:30 AM   #20

Maybe I found one culprit.... I hope this helps someone else.
I have been plagued with total power loss while driving. (6 times) since I bough the coach. ,
Legacy C38 2018.
On my coach... on the front left compartment, the 2 cables connecting to the fuse box and the ignition relay , completely loose, took 5 turns to start getting tight on both cables.
See picture.

Safe travels...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bus-power-loss-cause.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	396.9 KB
ID:	294719  

Legacy C38. 2018.
South Texas.
SPCF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags