Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2015, 05:06 AM   #1

Propane usage

Good morning owners.....with my new legacy I have not even uses 50% of the tank in over 5000 miles of usage....plenty of showers have been taken....not any use of the stove....is this normal....I just had the tank filled and only used 8 gallons of propane. I know now having a normal refrigerator that my usage would be less but this is amazing.
Blacknchromehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:32 AM   #2

I've had my 5th wheel almost 2 years and haven't used a tank yet. Fridge is always on when traveling. Stove burners get used often. It's the furnace that will really use it up.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 05:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknchromehd View Post
Good morning owners.....with my new legacy I have not even uses 50% of the tank in over 5000 miles of usage....plenty of showers have been taken....not any use of the stove....is this normal....I just had the tank filled and only used 8 gallons of propane. I know now having a normal refrigerator that my usage would be less but this is amazing.
Should be, If you use the furnace alot it will suck it up, but not a H/W heater....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:51 AM   #4

Well we used our water heater a lot but I am aware with the insta hot unit they may not use as much. And also wonder how much the dealer overfilled the tank.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Well we used our water heater a lot but I am aware with the insta hot unit they may not use as much. And also wonder how much the dealer overfilled the tank.
I don't think they can overfill it like the old ones, they now will only take 80% because of the safety valve. At least that is my understanding on the bottles but I don't know on a permanent tank like yours. With the instant heat H/W your not trying to keep a 6 or 10 gal tank hot all the time, so you should save on propane. How do you like that instant hot without a holding tank? I have read mixed reviews...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:22 AM   #6

It takes some use to make it work properly....setting the faucet to match the exterior water pressure is helpful. Do not miss the tank sitting there waiting for hot water only to run out. We had a 10 gallon one in our other class a with electric conversion...worked well but showers killed it.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:47 AM   #7

Quote:
We have about 10 months use in our Legacy and the propane use is so little. I keep looking at the outside guage thinking it is stuck. Not so. Propane consumption is far less than what we are accustomed to over the years. We just returned home from a 9 week, 6600 mile trip. Mostly hot weather but had a couple weeks of cold up in Michigan. We used 13 gallons for the entire trip and for several weeks in super hot weather we were showering twice a day. I hate dealing with the Girard WH, however it is efficient.

Tags
propane