Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #1

Putting up hooks or hangers

We recently bought a 2016 Legacy. We tried using 3M hooks and velcro for clothes hooks and putting up pictures. Most of them lasted about 2 weeks. The walls are too thin for most screws to work. What have all you experienced RVers
used to fasted clothes hooks and pictures etc. to the walls of your RV.
Thanks
OLD MAN BLUBAUM
OLD MAN BLUBAUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #2

I've been using these. They really hold good....but I have no experience how they will hold up long term.

Exploding Small Head Black Rivets Pop Rivet 250ct 3 16" Fasteners Tri Fold IMCA | eBay
Old 05-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
7 Year Class A RV'er

Not sure what model Legacy you have, but in our 360 RB there is a mirror in the bedroom that covers the access to the shower valves. Might take a look and see what fasteners are holding it in place.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB with 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Toad
Gigi, Poppy and Sadie the Jack Russell (all 14 lbs of her)

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:21 PM   #4

For attaching items without drilling holes, many of the "Command" products work well and are easy to find, like at Walmart or Home Depot. Some larger heavier items like towel bars or clothes hooks will just require drilling into a stud behind paneling with is not always easy to find.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #5

I have used the 3M Command products in my Shamrock. However, my parents lived for a time in a mobile home and I used these item to hang a number of things in the 1/4 inch thick walls they had. Esy to use, just drill a hole in the wall using a 1/4 inch bit, slide one of these into the wall and using an electric screwdriver, screw the head snug, which pulls the expanding metal anchors into place behind the wall. Then unscrew the bolt you just screwed in and place your hanger or hook and screw the screw back into the anchor. Several of these spaced out will hold something very heavy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screw.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	109569  

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:00 PM   #6

We've been using a lot of Command hooks and have found that you need to wipe the wall and/or the surface the sticky strip goes onto with rubbing alcohol. Let dry, put on the hanger. Let it set up for anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight and we have yet to have one fail on us.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:00 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Dojomom
My Command hooks have been up for almost a year. The only one that fell off had too much weight on it. The little ones can hold only 8 ounces, so I got the biggest, (ugliest), ones to hold clothing.

Before I got old, I thought having an actual tent instead of just a tarp was luxury camping. I'm enjoying 25' travel trailer.
Dojomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:14 AM   #8

Ditto on alcohol to clean the wall if using Command hooks or strips.. If there is the slightest film on the wall they can come right off. Also some cleaners leave a film so again use some rubbing alcohol first and press the strip on with some decent pressure and let it sit for a few.

On items that a Command Hook won't work but yet screws are overkill I use 3M's heavy duty interior exterior double sided tape. This is NOT the white tape..that stuff stinks. I buy it at Home Depot and the roll is red and the tape is black. It holds alot better than any of the white tape BUT you can ( with some dedicated effort) get it off the wall. It will come off clean it just takes some effort to get whatever you put on the wall..off again. Once off just start at and end and roll it off with a finger. Good stuff....when a hook or screw won't work.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote