Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 07:37 PM   #1

Quest Converter box-Bad Picture on all 3 televisions

I've had my 2016 Legacy about a month. On our first trip I used the cheap Craig DVD player and cable and the picture quality was horrible on all 3 tvs. Threw out the DVD player and bought a basic Sony DVD player.
Had my Winegard Roadtrip Mission In-Motion installed last week. When I picked it up the Tech told me the dish was fine but the converter box and poor quality wiring, made the picture grainy. He told me the converter box was really bad and he even had to connect the satellite to the DVD port on the back of the converter box since that was the only way to run it. I tried it this weekend and not only is the picture grainy on the satellite, the movies played on the new DVD player are fuzzy.
Also, I have to unplug the Directv box (which is plugged into the DVD red/white/yellow) in order to use that port for the DVD player!
HELP! What on earth is going on? Do the rest of you have this converter box?? How is your satellite plugged into the converter box? Is your picture quality poor with all sources?
And yes, I have the TV is on the right channel and the converter box buttons are all on DVD (for satellite or DVD)....
Old 05-04-2015, 12:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dndnva View Post
I've had my 2016 Legacy about a month. On our first trip I used the cheap Craig DVD player and cable and the picture quality was horrible on all 3 tvs. Threw out the DVD player and bought a basic Sony DVD player.
Had my Winegard Roadtrip Mission In-Motion installed last week. When I picked it up the Tech told me the dish was fine but the converter box and poor quality wiring, made the picture grainy. He told me the converter box was really bad and he even had to connect the satellite to the DVD port on the back of the converter box since that was the only way to run it. I tried it this weekend and not only is the picture grainy on the satellite, the movies played on the new DVD player are fuzzy.
Also, I have to unplug the Directv box (which is plugged into the DVD red/white/yellow) in order to use that port for the DVD player!
HELP! What on earth is going on? Do the rest of you have this converter box?? How is your satellite plugged into the converter box? Is your picture quality poor with all sources?
And yes, I have the TV is on the right channel and the converter box buttons are all on DVD (for satellite or DVD)....
Wow, sorry to hear of your TV experience so far. We have only watched one movie on our Craig DVD player and it was fine so I just left it alone. We have Direct TV and have watched that, over the air, and cable, all were OK. Wonder if your converter is just defective? I have just connected all sources to the converter via normal coax connections and all is good. I still wish I had HDMI but don't and it is what it is. We are not big movie watchers, however if we really want to watch blu-ray, I will just set a small one on the table and plug in to the side of the TV with HDMI.
The converter is a fairly standard unit used on many if not most RV's for coax connections, could just be defective.
Hope all else went well on the first trip.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnrick3 View Post
Wow, sorry to hear of your TV experience so far. We have only watched one movie on our Craig DVD player and it was fine so I just left it alone. We have Direct TV and have watched that, over the air, and cable, all were OK. Wonder if your converter is just defective? I have just connected all sources to the converter via normal coax connections and all is good. I still wish I had HDMI but don't and it is what it is. We are not big movie watchers, however if we really want to watch blu-ray, I will just set a small one on the table and plug in to the side of the TV with HDMI.
The converter is a fairly standard unit used on many if not most RV's for coax connections, could just be defective.
Hope all else went well on the first trip.
How is your sat wired so you have coax running into the converter box? My Direct Tv receiver only has 1 Coax input for main Sat line in, then I have to use red/white/yellow RCA to the converter box. Maybe your Sat receiver has a coax out line and mine doesn't?
Old 05-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #4

Quote:
How is your sat wired so you have coax running into the converter box? My Direct Tv receiver only has 1 Coax input for main Sat line in, then I have to use red/white/yellow RCA to the converter box. Maybe your Sat receiver has a coax out line and mine doesn't?
My Direct TV receiver has coax in and out. The only RCA leads I am using are from the highly coveted Craig DVD.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:22 PM   #5

Another way around this is using a wireless HDMI transmitter and receiver. they vary in price and abilities. On some you can plug up to 4 devices into the transmitter and you connect the receiver to the TV. Unfortunately unless you spend big money you can only have one receiver and one transmitter. In other words, you can't have a transmitter in your cabinet with all your devices connected to it and transmit to multiple receivers.

But it will give you true HD 1080 quality,
Old 05-08-2015, 05:11 PM   #6

Quote:
I never thought about your Dir tv being HD. Yup, does no good without HDMI. I would consider changing to a std. box and save the $10 a month they charge you for HD. All the over the air channels will still be HD, fine for us.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #7

Quote:
I got a new Quest Video converter box from FR last week. It is a QS53D which is different from the one that came with it (it is a QS53E). Thinking the "E" means newer model, I am inclined to send it back. But I went on the Quest website and they only show the "D" model. Which one do you all have on your new Legacy? I have attached the one they sent me ("D" model).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QS53D.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	78144  
Old 05-26-2015, 09:35 PM   #8

Quote:
I got a new Quest Video converter box from FR last week. It is a QS53D which is different from the one that came with it (it is a QS53E). Thinking the "E" means newer model, I am inclined to send it back. But I went on the Quest website and they only show the "D" model. Which one do you all have on your new Legacy? I have attached the one they sent me ("D" model).
Looks like ours is the "E", it's built in now so I can't get to the numbers, however I too looked on the Quest website and the D and E looks slightly different at least from the pictures. It appears they are basically the same unit though.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #9

That is the unit we have in ours and I haven't had any issues with it so far. Good picture via cable antenna and sat dish, DVD picture isn't as good but that is the cheap DVD player which I will switch out.
psw757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 10:46 PM   #10
7 Year Class A RV'er

Biggest problem is that the box only takes either a coax connector or RCA plugs. No one seems to make a Blu-Ray player with other than HDMI output, so you're screwed. I tried a converter to go HDMI to RCA - piece of crap that I returned.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, television