Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2019, 12:40 AM   #1

Safe Placement

Has anyone mounted a floor safe? where would be a good spot?
necasperaterrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:09 AM   #2

Not in the camper but I will be doing that once we go fulltime in a few years. I'm thinking a small one and mounting in the bedroom as a nightstand extension is going to be my best bet.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by necasperaterrent View Post
Has anyone mounted a floor safe? where would be a good spot?
on the floor .....sorry. any place you want. If I was so inclined to install a sa3fe I would find an out of site location.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #4

Rather than a floor safe, which might not have as strong material to secure it as in a residence where it could be buried in concrete, etc, I'd consider finding a safe that would fit into a space INSIDE an end-table. Rather than using a conventional door or drawer faces to conceal consider just blank paneling like is very common in RV's, covering un-usable spaces. To open the door a hidden latch that's released by inserting a nail into a hole in either edge of door or trim would allow it to swing out so you could access safe locking mechanism.

Safes come in all sizes, shapes, weights, and levels of fire protection so you might find something that would fit nicely.

While you're at it consider making that safe a "fire safe" to protect the contents.

Just some ideas.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:36 PM   #5

don't know how heavy of a safe you are talking or how expensive what you are keeping in it. Most campers probably cant afford the extra weight.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #6

You can conceal your valuables in plain sight. Cereal boxes, coffee cans or similar.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

what up flying said. Any safe worth having will be too heavy to travel with.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:11 PM   #8

If you wanted it as secure as possible for a floor safe the only thing I could think of was find a place to bolt it all the way through the floor and through a steel frame member but that would probably be a lot of work and difficulty finding a suitable spot over a frame piece that you could get to.

I like the ideas of finding a hidden panel to keep some type of safe in. Seems like in RV's there is always covered wasted above or below a fridge, or behind a TV or entertainment center or other places.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 05:41 PM   #9

Might consider an under seat safe fro u dear driverorpassanger seat? lots of options,but limited size. Might be able to mount in a storage unit under RV as well?
https://www.amazon.ca/Bestop-42641-0...73543030&psc=1
Canadian-chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
what up flying said. Any safe worth having will be too heavy to travel with.
I guess it depends on how much you are trying to secure and how large.

I have a "safe" I travel with that will fit under a seat or even in a drawer. Can be secured to the vehicle with a cable to prevent it from being carried off. 4 number combination with keys played out in the shape of a hand print for quick access if needed. Big enough for a large handgun, passport, cash, jewelry, or other important papers.

Wouldn't stop a pro if they came equipped with the right tools but enough to stop a tweaker who'd just yank on it hoping to break the cable. Cable is even "diagonal cutter resistant". Tweakers are usually so desparate they just smash and grab. At least around here. Pros they aren't.

Total weight is less than 10#.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:35 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Can't steal what somebody doesn't know is there. You know how all these units have outside compartments that have finishing panels dividing the compartment? Just move one of those panels so you can hide stuff behind it.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #12

We are on a Legacy sub section right? Ill assume you have a Legacy...
Here are some ideas...

1- Lift the bed and remove the panel from the center and right side, you may find enough space for a small fireproof box you can hide there.

2- lift the board of the bottom bunk, you will have a nice space on the left of the bunk that you could also hide 2 small FP boxes, you may even be able to screw or bold them on the floor of the slide and either screw the board down or install some hidden lock on it so it cant be lifted.

3- There is also a space in the cargo bay in front of the water bay, remove the board covering the center frame rails, you could weld or bolt some braces to the frame, cut an opening on the floor of the legacy just above it and mount your safe there, do the finish inside to hide the access door using the extra floor tiles that should have come with your unit. The opening door will be in front of the bunk beds and somewhat hidden with the slide closed. Just be careful to clear the heating ducts that runs close to the furnace.

take your peak.

Legacy C38. 2018.
South Texas.
SPCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:02 PM   #13

OP

Thank you all for the ideas. I think a hidden panel might work.
necasperaterrent is offline   Reply With Quote