Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2021, 06:54 AM   #1

Slide cylinders

2018 Legacy 340BH

Anyone ever have to replace the cylinders on their slide? My large wall slide quit and after talking to equalizer and some mobile guys looks like the cylinder is bad and you need to replace both at the same time. Looks like a pretty big job, not looking forward to 1st finding a good qualified repair shop and 2nd paying for it.
Favfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:03 AM   #2

Why do you have to replace both? if only one is not working properly.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:12 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

What is wrong with the cylinder?
You may have issues with the control valve(s) and the cylinder isn't getting fluid.
You need to have it properly diagnosed before throwing parts at it. And if you do have a bad cylinder, there's no need to replace both if only one is bad.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:27 AM   #4

Had to replace one of mine under warranty. They sent me both cylinders. I only changed one. Before that, I swapped the coils in the control head, no change, I swapped the valve and no change, that assured me that the bad part was indeed the cylinder.
It is not that hard to do if you have the correct tool to take the nuts and remove the cylinder. The one in the front is very easy, the rear one is much more involved, you have to remove the shroud around the tire to get to it. Also easier if you have the slide out. Be sure to have extra fluid to refill again. Also, manually fill the side of the cylinder prior to install so you dont have so much air to bled after the replacement.

I was able to empty the bad one into a clean container by manually pushing the piston to get the fluid out.
I hope this helps.

Legacy C38. 2018.
South Texas.
SPCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:12 PM   #5

They are the ones that diagnosed the cylinder and said this has they replaced in pairs. The front one is the one that is bad so maybe I do have a little hope.

I have another problem now. When I use my levelers it try’s to operate the slide also.
Old 09-06-2021, 02:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Favfour View Post

I have another problem now. When I use my levelers it try’s to operate the slide also.

If you just swapped the solenoid coil and did not keep each pair of wires in its original location, that is your problem. The same system that activate the jacks operates the slide.
Assuming your system is the same as mine and you don't have a short in the wires:
The position are marked by a color band on each hose, you can check at the cylinder that also should have a color band on the hose.
The order is Green, Yellow, Red, White and Brown, looking for outside IN. Each hose should match with the wire color to the actuator.

Legacy C38. 2018.
South Texas.
SPCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:35 PM   #7

fing a regular hydraulic repair place. in a industrial part of your town.
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 12:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCF View Post
Had to replace one of mine under warranty. They sent me both cylinders. I only changed one. Before that, I swapped the coils in the control head, no change, I swapped the valve and no change, that assured me that the bad part was indeed the cylinder.
It is not that hard to do if you have the correct tool to take the nuts and remove the cylinder. The one in the front is very easy, the rear one is much more involved, you have to remove the shroud around the tire to get to it. Also easier if you have the slide out. Be sure to have extra fluid to refill again. Also, manually fill the side of the cylinder prior to install so you dont have so much air to bled after the replacement.

I was able to empty the bad one into a clean container by manually pushing the piston to get the fluid out.
I hope this helps.

It is my front cylinder. I think I may try to get away with just replacing that one. But I have to be using my RV for a few trips first (with out the slide :-))

Did you have to remove the bracket on the back of the cylinder? I’m not sure how the cylinder is attached.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #9
Site Team

If there are any markings on the cylinder or any way to determine the mfg. any hydraulic cylinder repair shop can rebuild the cylinder for less than a new one.

Tags
slide