Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2017, 12:49 PM   #1

WATER MISER™ Battery Caps

Has anyone seen or looked into these caps?

https://www.flowsystemsusa.com/water...-vent-cap.html
CRL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:16 PM   #2

Just ordered a dozen for my Berk. Will report back.
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:29 PM   #3

I would like to see an explanation of exactly how they work before wasting money on them. Lots of claims, no substantiation.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #4

Water Miser

If they do what they say they do it might be worth the price. Getting rid of that white powder residue and watering less is nice. Possibly saving your batteries priceless.

Did you order the mediums?

Joe
Old 09-26-2017, 05:41 PM   #5

Will let you skeptics know.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:44 PM   #6

Yes the mediums.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:31 AM   #7

johnbryanpeters....

This is how they work but, first the basics on how your battery loses water.

There are two basic functions that cause water loss, electrolysis and evaporation.

Electrolysis occurs when the current going through the electrolyte (acid + water) solution splits the water molecules up into pure hydrogen and pure oxygen gas. This accounts for about 40%-50% of the batteries water loss. The second way your battery water is depleted is through heat which causes evaporation of the liquid electrolyte. This heat occurs when the battery is working to power your motor coach or when the ambient temperature in your house battery compartment is too warm or a combination of both. Evaporation accounts for the remaining 50%-60% of the water loss.

ORIGINAL OEM VENTS....
Standard vents that come as original equipment on your battery are typically a very basic cap with a direct path from the interior of the battery to the outside environment with nothing to prevent either evaporation or gas from escaping. A direct line of sight from the inside to the outside.

THIS IS HOW THEY WORK...
The Water Misers have three internal barriers built into the vent that prevents nearly all of the evaporating electrolyte from escaping. Initially, the evaporating electrolyte must pass through a chamber filled with specially fabricated polypropylene co-polymer beads that attract the liquid eventually forming droplets that accumulate and are redirected back into the battery. Secondly the evaporate must pass through a compressed mesh network of filter fibers that further capture and electrolyte that tries to escape from the battery. The internal design itself of the Water Misers was developed to create a large surface area relative to the amount of escaping gas. Condensation forms on the interior, is accumulates, and drips back into the battery by way of the pointed electrolyte probe on the inside of the vent

These three elements combined prevent the water loss, corrosion and acid build up related to your house batteries.

I can say all this with pretty high confidence in its accuracy because I actually run Flow Systems, the company who manufactures the Water Miser. Coincidentally, I ran across this post when searching for info on battery boxes for a friend who just purchased a used motor coach.

I hope this helps explain how the work. If you have any questions about the Water Miser battery vent caps, batteries themselves or charging, let me know I would be happy to help in any way I can.

Drew
FlowSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #8

I have been using them for about 4 years. In conjunction with upgrading my controller to the ME-RC50 I have all but eliminated corrosion.
1 Cockatiel-Lucky
dogsgocamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #9

I had to refinish my battery box from acid corrosion. Looking forward to not doing it again.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:55 PM   #10

Water Miser

Which size caps do you recommend for my Forest River Legacy motorhome? I have plenty of clearance above the batteries.

Thanks,
Joe
Old 09-28-2017, 01:11 PM   #11

jbjoe3....I'd say go with the #2000C Medium Height Water Misers. They have a little larger opening going through the vent which makes it a slight bit easier to see into and water the batteries. Performance wise, there really is no difference between the shorter 2000 and the 2000C. 9 out of 10 Motor Coach owners probably choose the #2000C. Hope that helps.
FlowSystems is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, water