Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2020, 11:46 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
still friends...........I will drink to that
Old 02-20-2020, 07:36 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
What? No 4 wheel drive??

<gigglesnort> Glad to see you on your way!!
I'm with you, I drive a GMC 3500 4 wheel drive, mostly because I live in snow country. I will say I have never had a problem getting out of a campsite after it rained and things got muddy. I tow a Heartland 39MBH that weighs in at 14,000 empty on the scales.
skipatroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:50 PM   #43

I had a 44' Newmar boondocks at my place. It rained for the two days there. When it came time to pull out I told him to stay on the high ground. Didn't do it, sunk in stuck. Deployed jack's on cirbbing before it got to low to the ground. Raised rig to stuff firewood under the wheels. Then it would not go down, leveling system froze with it up. Long story short, bleed off hydraulic fluid untill leveling system worked again. Lowered onto firewood tracks and launched him on his way. Four hours later.
dkarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 02:40 PM   #44

Did an overnight at Crown Point Historical Campground in NY just across Lake Champlain from Vermont. Primitive but beautiful place on the banks of LC, the ranger directed us to a spot on the grass near the lake banks. Beautiful sunset and campfire, one of those "why we camp" moments. Crusty ole'soul next sight over comes by after dinner for friendly camper talk. Tells DW and me that if we were there a couple of days earlier there's no way we make it out of our heavenly site with the heavy rains they had. This being mid-July, our site must've dried quickly.

The next morning DW and I enjoyed breakfast and coffee outside loving our view of Lake Champlain. My DW takes the dishes in to wash and I start to put away the grill etc. when I felt a raindrop, then another and another. I stuck my head in the door and yelled RAIN, pack up! I literally threw everything we had out, bag chairs, tables, etc into the storage bins as fast as I could and my wife readied the inside asap too. Just as I was ready to start up the engine and raise the jacks, the heavens opened up. Got going and up the incline to the stone road just in time. I wanted to shower before departure so I drove over to the shower house and already the walkway to the showers was ankle deep! I could've just stepped out of my rig and washed in the driving rain.

We really dodged a bullet on that trip because where we were parked there was no way a tow truck could've got near us and we were at least a couple hundred feet from the CG stone road.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #45

Couple of our favorite shows to watch (both on the Weather Channel) are Highway Thru Hell and Heavy Rescue:401. Cannot imagine some of the wrecker and towing bills that are racked up on those shows. Would make that 70 bucks look like chump change.

3 years ago I had to have my truck and 5er towed on our way to Disney World on I-95 at St. Augustine. And to boot, it was Christmas Eve!!!! Truck lost an injector tip and hydrolocked the motor. Hired a heavy haul out of Jacksonville to tow both the TV and the RV to the the nearest Ford dealership and since we were bent on getting to Disney's Fort Wilderness that day, had them haul the 5er the additional 120+ miles to the campground for us. That was a big bill not to mention boy was that a grand entrance into Fort Wilderness!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161224_121910.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	690.2 KB
ID:	223739  
Old 02-21-2020, 03:23 PM   #46

Ouch!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:56 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
Ouch!
No kidding!

I think that was the most expensive camping trip we ever took. Between the truck repairs at the dealership, a car rental and the towing it set us back a little over $3200.

Needless to say when someone tells me that it's cheap to camp I about want to smack 'em silly!
Old 02-21-2020, 03:57 PM   #48

.... well, made it back to our homebase area since we 'sunk' last Friday, but since there's been even MORE record rainfall since we left for the week, I dare not try going back in.
Our church has been so kind to allow us to call it 'home' in these situations. Even the church didn't know they had a 50amp RV outlet right at the side door! Water, and sewer also in the same area - perfect. Not in anybody's way, and fine, flat asphalt all the way around. And, nice timing, too, as this morning it was 25, tomorrow is expected 22, a good time to have all the 'lectricity you can make use of...

I might just ask them to allow us to 'live' here!

but, without that option, of course, we'll give it a go Sunday afternoon, or Monday morning, before MORE rain is expected!

Crazy.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:52 PM   #49

keep these on hand

i keep 4 2×6's or 2x8s aprox. 18". they store flat in a bay. when ground looks soft or rain expected back up on them. ALittle ground speed will get you going .
Thomas ho is offline   Reply With Quote