Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2021, 10:44 AM   #1

Wet, Leaking Compartments

Hi All,
Has anybody had any success and making their Legacy outside compartments more water tight?
My 2015 Legacy 340KP has new door seals but still leak, in some cases, quite badly. The seals show good compression and full contact, but water still seems to make its way inside.
Thoughts? Help? Ideas?
Troy
troybuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:14 PM   #2

I have a 2018 340BH. The only one I had a problem with is the passenger side all the way in the front. It would get so much water I was thinking about drilling a hole in the bottom to let it drain out. I was able to fix it though. On a dark night I put a light in it and closed it up. Then crawled all around generator area and wheel well to see where light was coming out. The inside seam on top (next to generator area) had just a little light showing through. I did t think nearly enough to let that much water in. Sprayed the seam with flex seal (from the outside) and have not had a problem since. I was surprised it worked so well.

Good luck.
Favfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 11:26 PM   #3

I have a 2015 340KP. The compartments in between the axels all leaked when I purchased it new. The door seals were only part of the problem. The doors can be tightened by adjusting the u bracket on the coach side of the door latches. U can close a piece of paper in the doors and pull on it to be sure the door is snug and the gasket is making contact. The I beam frame runs through the carry through compartment aft of the entry door and the wet bay. On my coach this was not sealed at all. A lot of spray foam in this area will help. Finally I used black Flex Seal and went under the coach and sprayed all the corners and edges of the compartments. They were built with steel angle iron for the frame then the plywood was screwed into the frames to create the compartments. FR put a thin piece of rubber in between the plywood and angle iron but it was not enough. Spraying the bottom edges and corners of the compartments helped a lot. After you get them sealed up, u can use a trouble light inside the compartment and go underneath to look for light. I found the majority of my leaks were coming from the underside of the coach and not the doors. FR rebuilt several of my compartments in the first year under warranty but I still had trouble. Hope this helps.
tmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:20 AM   #4

I’ve tried the light trick and can’t see any light. My best guess is it’s coming through the door seals?
Anyone else have any experience on this?
Troy
Old 02-25-2021, 01:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by troybuz View Post
I’ve tried the light trick and can’t see any light. My best guess is it’s coming through the door seals?
Anyone else have any experience on this?
Troy

I did on my 2014 Legacy. Front, right was the worst. Adjusting the bracket didn’t do it so, I added a second layer of weather stripping to about 3/4 of the door, especially the top edge, which took care of it. My outside TV compartment still catches water in a heavy rain and haven’t been able to solve that one. I just make sure we don’t leave the remote in there and I check it frequently.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:39 AM   #6

Srappleby,
This is worth trying because it does appear to be leaking from the door seal... maybe other places, but certainly the Lion’s portion at the door.
Thanks
Troy
Old 04-05-2021, 06:31 PM   #7

I had some major leaks coming into our "wet bay", about had to put a bilge pump in there back when it was new and traveling in rain. Several tries with spray foam, and flex seal did the trick and have not noticed much anywhere else except the outdoor TV. Leaks like crazy around the door, I have tightened and added extra weatherstrip, gave up and just let it leak now, just keep the remote out.
Old 04-06-2021, 04:10 PM   #8

I would clran and seal around the top of the frame of the entertainment center.
Maingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 04:10 PM   #9

Clean and seal
Maingler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak