Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 10:10 AM   #1

Whirlpool Refrigerator Icemaker suddenly not getting water to make ice

I have a residential Whirlpool Refrigerator in my Legacy 340KP. It has always been great at making ice. On my last trip home a fuse blew on my water pump and it seems the ice maker quit getting water and now does not get water even though I am hooked to city water. Therefore, no ice. Has anyone had this problem and can help me with a resolution?
jwalton022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:45 AM   #2

the two may or may not be connected (water pump/ice maker)to the problem. I think what I would do is first (because you were traveling) would be to follow the supply line to the ice maker and make sure something did not shift and cause a kink in the supply line. let the forum know what you find.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #3

I found out the hard way that you do not have to pull the fridge out to get to the ice and water valve. At least on my Whirlpool model GI0FSAXVY011 the valve is located behind a panel on the inside rear of the fridge. The valve has one input and two outputs. One output for water and one to the ice maker.
Also make sure the ice maker is turned on by the switch inside of the ice maker.
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:37 AM   #4

Whirlpool Refrigerator Icemaker suddenly not getting water to make ice

Wow! I'm having the same issue. I log on here to post and see if anyone had ideas and what do I find? Anyway, I did not blow the fuse for the water pump. In our situation, we left Wednesday morning for a 5-week trip. When we arrived at our first stop my wife went to get some ice from the freezer to reward me for a day of good driving with a rum & coke and.....surprise! No ice.

The switch on the ice maker itself is on and I have cycled that back and forth numerous times to be sure. There is no water going in to the ice maker for some reason. I too, suspect a water supply problem and am looking for that.

I have located where the fridge water line appears to tee off from the cold water under the bathroom sink. Today, I'm going to pull that line off and see if water is coming through the tee-valve. If so, guess I'll be trying to follow the line through the wall and up to the fridge.

2014 Legacy SR300 340BH
Old 06-15-2018, 07:44 AM   #5

did you leave your Water Pump switch ON while driving? : /
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:45 AM   #6

Yep, sure did. Good thought, though
Old 06-15-2018, 07:51 AM   #7

I can only add that it 'could' be air in the ice maker line, and the short time it requests water to the unit is not enough to bring the water up the line....

or, the switch is gone, or fuse tripped, etc. : /
Old 06-15-2018, 08:00 AM   #8

While it could be air in the line, I don't think that is probable as I haven't drained the lines down recently. As far as a fuse, I'm not aware of any separate fuse for the ice maker....should get its power through the fridge, although I did go over my fuse panels just in case.

If this was my refrigerator at home I would have already pulled it out from the wall and traced the water supply through the back. That's a big problem with a fully-loaded fridge at a campground. Lol
Old 06-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #9

after reading your initial discussion about your problem, did you turn the Valve in the water bay to 'Water Tank' or 'Normal'?
Old 06-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #10

I haven't turned any of the valves in the water bay (coach was in for service at Freightliner but I don't think they were in that area). Anyway. I get water to all sinks and toilet both on the water pump and when hooked up at the CG.
Old 06-15-2018, 08:51 AM   #11

interesting, so it does sound like you've 'suddenly' got a pinched line or something... but there could be a fuse for the ice maker within the fridge, but one way to know is to wait and watch for the ice maker to 'request' water and see if/what happens. Then you'll know it's working, not any power issue, just not getting water.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #12

There is only one water line going to the valve. There it splits to the water dispenser and the ice maker. Are you getting water to the water dispenser on the front of the fridge?
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:37 PM   #13

My water line from under the bathroom sink to the ice maker got pinched by the fridge. Ice maker was not working well, making small cubes. I replaced it with a stainless covered line. I did Need to pull out the fridge
tmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmartin View Post
My water line from under the bathroom sink to the ice maker got pinched by the fridge. Ice maker was not working well, making small cubes. I replaced it with a stainless covered line. I did Need to pull out the fridge

Yikes! That's what I'm afraid I'll be doing. Just can't do it on the road.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSurette View Post
There is only one water line going to the valve. There it splits to the water dispenser and the ice maker. Are you getting water to the water dispenser on the front of the fridge?

No water dispenser. Just a simple ice maker.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #16

YouTube is my best friend! Watched a lot of troubleshooting videos and was able to determine that the motor in the ice maker was bad. Ordered a new ice maker, installed, and wa-bam! ICE [emoji4]

Tags
refrigerator, water