Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2019, 08:39 AM   #1

Window Blew Off!

2014 Legacy

Driving on the Interstate and my wife went into the bedroom to find the shades blowing around. She discovered one of the pieces of glass in our right side window was completely gone. When I looked at it I see no real damage just no glass, either.

Is this something that most RV repair shops stock? Or, do I need to find a FR dealer? Or worse, something that needs to be ordered based on specific model and VIN?
Old 03-17-2019, 08:54 AM   #2
Site Team

You may even get a full service glass shop to replace it for less hassle and less $.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #3

Take a look at your insurance, glass coverage might have no deductible..but that might only apply to windshields.
Loss of glass doesn't seem out of the ordinary especially since RV's are subjected 70 mph hurricanes on the road. More or less depending on wind direction.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:18 AM   #4

I don't think the window should blow off that is not normal is this a slider window or a emergency egress window I've heard of those comming loose and being pulled off.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #5

On my 2015 Legacy, I saw one of our back windows flapping up while driving.
Got lucky and was able to pull over just before it was going to blow off.
Their are two parts of the window, the inside glass that's attached to the track to open and close and the outside tinted part held together by a foam seal, it had separated!
Had all the windows checked and 2 more were found to be separating, had them resealed.
Doug
Gadgetdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetdoug View Post

Their are two parts of the window, the inside glass that's attached to the track to open and close and the outside tinted part held together by a foam seal, it had separated!

Had all the windows checked and 2 more were found to be separating, had them resealed.

Doug

Hey Doug,

So two pieces of glass and one had separated from the other?
Old 03-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #7

Yes, for the windows that open out, there frameless dual pane windows.
not sure about the emergency window in the rear.
Gadgetdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 07:53 PM   #8

Window Blew Off!

Thanks for the info Doug. Sent pictures to my local family-owned RV repair place and they did the research for me. It’s a special order thing from FR and can only replace the entire window unit, not the individual glass. Also going to have them check the other windows.

RV is short for “It’s always something” lol
Old 03-25-2019, 08:12 PM   #9

We have been lucky to not have any blow off. However, the Hehr frameless windows are a pain in the butt to me. I had all of the foam on the crank outs separate on our first long trip. Had to use duck tape on them to at least get by. FR put me in touch with Hehr window, they sent me all new ones which I installed. They lasted less than a year. I had a local company repair my spares which I have now installed. We will see what happens next.
captnrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:37 PM   #10

I think that’s what happened to this. The flat metal strip is still attached the the crank-out arms and the top of the window frame has no damage. I expect that the adhesive let go and allowed the piece of glass to lift and then slide off the frame. Watch out for glass in the road, NB lanes of I-75 somewhere in South Georgia!
Old 09-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetdoug View Post

Doug

What were those windows resealed with? I noticed the other day that the outer glass on goth of my dinette windows are separating from the inner window parts.
Old 09-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnrick3 View Post
We have been lucky to not have any blow off. However, the Hehr frameless windows are a pain in the butt to me. I had all of the foam on the crank outs separate on our first long trip. Had to use duck tape on them to at least get by. FR put me in touch with Hehr window, they sent me all new ones which I installed. They lasted less than a year. I had a local company repair my spares which I have now installed. We will see what happens next.

What did HEHR send you? Both of the dinette windows are coming loose. The outer glass is affixed to the inner window unit but, that adhesive is letting go. Curious if the glass can be re-attached, or replace the lower part of the window (both inner and outer glass), or will I be replacing the ENTIRE window unit, fixed glass and the part that opens.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by srappleby View Post
What did HEHR send you? Both of the dinette windows are coming loose. The outer glass is affixed to the inner window unit but, that adhesive is letting go. Curious if the glass can be re-attached, or replace the lower part of the window (both inner and outer glass), or will I be replacing the ENTIRE window unit, fixed glass and the part that opens.
Originally Hehr sent me just the lower window unit which was not too bad to replace. However, all of those failed fairly quickly just like the originals did. I had saved the original windows and found a local glass repair company that resealed them, and they are still holding up OK a couple years later. Actually I hate these windows but that seems to be all they are putting in all coaches now. No need to take out the entire window assy. unless the stationary double pane part fails.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnrick3 View Post
Originally Hehr sent me just the lower window unit which was not too bad to replace. However, all of those failed fairly quickly just like the originals did. I had saved the original windows and found a local glass repair company that resealed them, and they are still holding up OK a couple years later. Actually I hate these windows but that seems to be all they are putting in all coaches now. No need to take out the entire window assy. unless the stationary double pane part fails.

The glass appears to be attached with some sort of adhesive foam, as opposed to a caulk-like product. I was thinking of contacting HEHR to get the correct adhesive material then, can I just carefully separate the outer glass from the unit, clean off the old stuff then, reapply? Or, is it more involved than that?

Steve
Old 09-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by srappleby View Post
The glass appears to be attached with some sort of adhesive foam, as opposed to a caulk-like product. I was thinking of contacting HEHR to get the correct adhesive material then, can I just carefully separate the outer glass from the unit, clean off the old stuff then, reapply? Or, is it more involved than that?

Steve
I would say you are on the right track. When I got mine back from the RV window repair outfit, It appears that is what they did. The material they used looks to me like the same caulk used to secure windsheilds.
Old 09-22-2019, 06:57 PM   #16

Alright, I’ll check it out. Thanks

Tags
window