Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2014, 01:40 PM   #1

1961 Shasta Airflyte Reissued in 2015 - Towing Experiences

We would love to hear some of the experiences owners are having while towing their 2015 Shasta Airflyte

How far did you drive to pick er up?

What type of tow vehicle are you using to pull the 16' Airflyte?

What type of tow vehicle are you using to pull the 19' Airflyte?

How did the trailer tow? Did you use a sway bar?

What type of gas mileage are you getting?
Old 12-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #2

I'll let you know how ours does Friday. I'm not anticipating any issues though. As Chris at Mt Comfort said, I have "Plenty o truck."
JustaBill6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:51 PM   #3

Towing experiences

I know this is an old post but it seems that some of these lovely trailers have been towed and perhaps members have been too busy camping to add their experiences. I just purchased an airflyte 16 reissue in yellow and plan to pick it up on Wednesday. My tow vehicle is a 2009 Toyota Tachoma V6 without the tow package. Has anyone towed a Reissue with this or a similar combination? I wondered specifically if a sway bar is needed. I am an old tent camper but new to towing a trailer.
Rumberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I would add a transmission cooler to your truck so you don't burn up your tranny.

Edited to fix spelling
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:31 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestion!
Rumberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Oops that's supposed to be transmission cooler.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:39 AM   #7

We towed our 19' Reissue for the first time with a GMC Sierra and only used a sway bar ... She followed us home like a shadow. Loved it!
Old 04-30-2015, 09:59 PM   #8

I couldn't agree more - that first trip home was wonderful, towed like a dream as if it wasn't even there and tracked absolutely like a shadow.

In fact in hindsight it might be more like Charlie Brown's Pig-Pen shadow....
DCSconnect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:39 PM   #9

We picked up our 16' about 4 weeks ago and pulled it back 40 miles, mostly freeway. This was with 2008 Toyota Highlander Hybrid. By the time we got home I thought the Highlander and Airflyte were not a bad combination. You definitely know it is back there, and it is a bit hard to see around, but it tracked well and I noticed no sway or wind affected movements even around large trucks.

The tongue sure is short so when backing up it will "jack knife" more quickly than I am used to, but part of that is practicing with it.

I think full of camping gear I would be pretty cautionary about pulling it with the Highlander, rated at 3500lbs. Normally I tow with my 1500 Silverado, which is a bit more suited for the job.

Whether with the full-size truck or SUV, I want to get my Equalizer hitch configured for the camper as that hitch always helps.

Looking forward to pulling it with the truck as I can compare it to my flat dual-axle auto hauler that I have pulled around quite a bit.

I also have a front-mounted hitch on my Silverado for those "especially hard to back into" spots.
r-bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 04:01 PM   #10

I passed a green one being towed by a delivery drive this morning, he looked to be having an issue with the cross wind on the freeway.
I could not tell is he was using anything but the ball hitch.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #11

We found (for us) a sway bar is absolutely essential. Without it, the trailer wags like a puppy dog's tail.
DouglasLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyLuckettCurry View Post
We would love to hear some of the experiences owners are having while towing their 2015 Shasta Airflyte

How far did you drive to pick er up? From San Antonio to Cleburne

What type of tow vehicle are you using to pull the 16' Airflyte?

What type of tow vehicle are you using to pull the 19' Airflyte? Suzuki Equator (same as Nissan Frontier.

How did the trailer tow? Did you use a sway bar? No problem and no stablizer, had to tow without trailer brakes as Nissan/Suzuki had a reversed wire in factory tow wiring package. Cequent sent me the tech bulletin to fix the issue.

What type of gas mileage are you getting?
RHKirk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shasta, towing