Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2015, 08:58 PM   #1

2015 Shasta Airflyte Quality&Design issues

Hello all new to the site which is the only place i have found to get some answers to some problems i am starting to see clearly after purchasing our new 2015 Airflyte which we had to to drive to another state to purchase.
I would certainly not expect to see the following issues on a brand new RV
I have worked in the Automotive business for over 30 years supplying parts to The OEMs which we have to follow 1000s of quality regulations demanded by all automotive manufactures .So i was shocked to see such a long list of design flaws and just outright lack of Q.C to inspect any of the work after or during the build. However my sole purpose is not to degrade Shasta or its work force. I commend them for trying to resurrect this design and implement it .We purchased our Shasta in Feb took delivery in March 10f outside and snowing so a little hard to spend 8 hours going through everything outside.So Now its warmed up outside time to go over everything thoroughly wow is all i can say.
I am scared to use this for anything more then parking in the backyard!
just my list of needed fixes that should have been done at the factory which i will do before i even think about taking it down the road !
1#Relocate the battrie from smack dab in the middle of the rear storage compartment to under the rear closet behind the bathroom out of the way yes not convenient to get to but opens up rear storage.
2# Put a battery shut off switch in so when not in tow or hooked up to AC the batt don't go dead as all the dc circuits are still live drawing current.
3#Fix AC problems proper fit and seal,Condensation drain ect.
3#Must seal every single wire,water line ,gas line ect entering the trailer from the under carriage is just a larger then life hole plowed through the floor no sealant or undercoating and plenty of critter holes to enter .
4# rear wall going down past sub frame underneath is the actual paneling from back wall exposed to the elements rain,snow ect should be undercoated as the wood will wick water up into rear wall.
5# wheel wells have gaping holes exposing wood.
6# front left and right windows are only held in with glass dope one fell out on way home put overlap 1/2" aluminum strip next to glass overlapping it onto aluminum frame both sides of ea. pane of glass to prevent falling out .
Oh NUMBER 7# the ac unit was not even plugged in under the cabinet easy fix although i shouldn't have had to do that really.
Oh Number 8# Stereo antenna sandwiched between front cabinet bottom wont pick up any thing mounted and aux ant outside how bout that i get reception now!
9# redesign the rear bed pull out falling apart alreadyfrom being stapled together just from demonstrating a few times to friends and family how it worked ?
So this is all i have done since taking delivery and have not even gone camping yet yikes !!
Will see how many trips it will survive Ive never seen anything you pull down the road weighing 2300 some lbs stapled together .Hopefully this dose not become an expensive peice of backyard lawn art
thenugerocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 09:51 PM   #2

How did you fix the pull out bed issue? Can you post a picture. THX
regalrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:50 PM   #3

Modification to Rear Goucho slider bed 2015 Shasta Airflyte

Yes i will post picts of the rear gaucho modification when i finish it i just finished a final plan which is based around using cabinet drawer center slider guides attached to the two cross frame supports in the middle and to the bottom of the 1/2" osb this will raise it approx 1/2" then replace the 1/8' luan with 1/4" back overlapping piece and hinge it across the back so when the slider is pulled out you can lift the back piece to access the rear storage from the inside this will require taking the closet door and cutting it down to fit inside the closet door opening so it is flush mounted to the wall like the bathroom door is .This will allow the rear piece i am hinging to open up without catching on the protruding closet door .Along with putting metal bracing in to some of the frame work and firming up their fine staple job with screws and adding tini mini wheels to the bottom of the front of the support that just sits or slides on the floor with the plastic strip on it . Should be a relatively easy remedy .First I am first redoing the ac box this weekend ! And fixing and sealing the wheel wells which are exposed to the inside and let road debris inside under the cabinet and sealing all the holes underneath where all the plumbing and wiring enter the floor .
thenugerocks is offline   Reply With Quote