Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2015, 10:59 PM   #1

Rear Window and Tire Clearance Recall

Forest River recalls Shasta Airflyte 16 and Shasta Airflyte 19 trailers
DouglasLive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:18 PM   #2

Forest River is recalling 1,736 model year 2016 Shasta Airflyte 16 and Shasta Airflyte 19 trailers manufactured September 26, 2014 to August 17, 2015.

The recalled vehicles have two issues of concern.

In the first, the rear exit window glass may come loose and fall out due to poor adhesion. If the rear window glass detaches, it could fall onto the road and be a road hazard, increasing the risk of a crash.

Forest River will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the trailers to verify that the windows are properly secured. Any window that fails the inspection process will be replaced. These repairs will be performed free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on October 28, 2015.

Forest River's number for this recall is 53-08282015-0081.

In the second instance, the vehicles may have insufficient clearance between the tire and the wheel well at the top of the tire tread and also at the inner sidewall. If there is insufficient tire clearance, the tire may rub, resulting in sudden tire failure which could increase the risk of a crash.

Forest River will notify owners, and dealers will install a new axle that provides the proper clearance between the tire and the wheel well, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin on October 26, 2015.

Forest River's number for this recall is 53-08282015-0082.

Owners may contact Forest River customer service at 1-574-825-8717 regarding both recalls.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:42 PM   #3

For everyone who was ridiculed and called a fool for carrying the banner on this issue and warning others months ago, feel vindicated. :-)
Old 09-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #4

I'm Smiling as I type. Woo Hoo.
pcmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #5

If anyone hears what Shasta considers "acceptable clearance" (horizontal and vertical) please post it here. I would call Gary Myers myself, but I suppose his phone is ringing off the hook.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:11 PM   #6

Forest River was made aware of the defect by NHTSA in an email dated 2015-08-24. Forest River Corporate
Compliance monitors the NHTSA – Vehicle Owners section reviewing complaints against any and all Forest
River products. Forest River Corporate Compliance noticed the increase in complaints against the Shasta
Airflyte and immediately launched an internal investigation into the tire(s)/axle defect. It was easily
determined that by using a 3” - “Go/No-Go Tire Clearance Gauge” that the tire clearance does not meet the 3"
minimum clearance as specified by the axle manufacturer(s). This 3" measurement is measured from the top
of the tire tread directly vertically to the nearest object, which in the case of the Shasta Airflyte is the wheel
well. Forest River has also determined that the inner tire sidewall clearance is dangerously close to the wheel
well.
tom1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:23 PM   #7

Shasta will replace the current axle on the
Airflyte 16 and 19 models with a new axle that
has a higher ride height, between 3” and 4” in
height. The new axle will also have a wider hub
face, measuring 1 1/8” wider overall to push the
tire(s) away from the inner wall of the wheel
well.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:16 AM   #8

You know that is great but did anybody try to get a tire off that had air in it. Without letting the air out it cannot be done because it will not clear the wheel well. I hope that they take that into consideration when they widen the axle.
pcmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:33 AM   #9

Passenger side the replacement TIRE replaced in 5 minutes, Drivers side had to be deflated to clear the wheel drum and the outside wheel well.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:38 AM   #10

If the new axle is 3 to 4 inches higher the tires might clear the wheel well issue. For the clearance on the inner wheel well wall I used 5/16" wheel spacers. This helped to center the tire in the well.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:35 AM   #11

I'm of the mind if you replaced your leaf springs already and your inner wheel well clearance is okay (ours is about an inch both sides), this recall isn't necessary.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #12

I have not replaced the leaf springs yet. I have a 19'. When I looked under the camper it all ready had shackles installed. Both wheel wells had approx. 3/4" clearance on the inside wheel well and a little more than 2" on the outside of the tire, this is why I added the 5/16" wheel spacers. This helped center the wheel in the well. I still have enough stud to hold the wheel in place. I replaced the "P" series tires with a same size "ST" load range "D" tire. This way I could still use the Coker Classic as a spare. Swapping out the passenger tire went quick and easy. The drivers side was a different story. The Coker with a more flexible sidewall was squeezed out. I had to deflate the "ST" tire to soften the side wall so it could be squeezed in between the drum and the outer camper wall. I have approx. 2 1/2" clearance on top of the tire. A new axle will give me more clearance on top, I should be able to remove the spacers and hopefully will be able to change the tires without deflating them.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:25 AM   #13

looks like the "sky is falling" mentality that was on social media was really just legitimate problems since the recall on the windows and the axle springs and brakes ...
but a word of warning once your camper goes in it cant leave the dealership till the recall work is done! so im back to my tent this weekend and ive got a plug in heater...
kbjabat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #14
A Little Bit Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasLive View Post
For everyone who was ridiculed and called a fool for carrying the banner on this issue and warning others months ago, feel vindicated. :-)
Cheers!
Fancygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 09:54 AM   #15
Two

The recall letter "green lighted" our purchase - we were somewhat aware of the issues with Airflytes - within 15 minutes of reading the re-call letter - we purchased one - so thanks for carrying the banner. And also thanks to Mark Lucas for bravely bringing this "primitive cool" trailer to market.
Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:04 AM   #16

Seriously?! What about the recall gave you reassurance to plunk down the cash? To me, it's just official confirmation the thing is poorly made.
Old 10-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #17
Two

Wow - nice welcome to my first post - not much joy
Old 10-25-2015, 03:19 PM   #18

No, there's not much joy in these trailers, sorry to say.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #19
Two

To answer your - Seriously?! question - from what I understand there are 3 issues with these - the Recall Letter confirmed that two of them would be addressed - and the Air is an easy modification - hence we plunk down cash.

Otherwise, the trailer from our prospective is a design delight - but its just a tool to enjoy life.
So Seriously?! why would you have a recreation anything that does not bring you joy - get it fix and enjoy it or just sell it and move on.

Happy Camping Everyone
Old 10-26-2015, 09:53 AM   #20

Yes, just three issues...ahem. I won't share my laundry list.

When you've had at least 2/3 of your trailer rebuilt, come talk to me.

Tags
recall, tire