Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2021, 08:10 AM   #1

17JG-BL finally home

Got her home on Friday and we are trying to settle in. We are trying to find the perfect sizes of totes to organize things and acquire the necessary things...And start planning our first trips.

I am planning to do something to secure the outdoor fridge better. I am sure it would sway a lot on the one screw holding it in.
jesus_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:56 AM   #2

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 04-05-2021, 07:38 PM   #3

Modifications have begun:
As many others have done, we shortened the blanking panel and squared off the cabinet space above the sink:

This is what it looks like behind there now:

We are eyeballing this wasted area under the table seat and seeing if we might be able to have our cabinet maker friend install a couple drawers here for extra storage.

We are also going to build a shelf in here above the the drain pipes for cleaning supplies:
Old 04-05-2021, 08:10 PM   #4

Congratulations on the new rig.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:11 PM   #5

Congrats.

Tow vehicle: 2020 Ford F-250 4WD Super Duty 7.3 XLT FX4 Crew

TT: 2021 Grey Wolf 26 DBH
Germanrazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:11 PM   #6

J Man, happy for you!!!

Can't wait to see camping pics.

Welcome to the Black Label Club.
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:09 AM   #7

Thanks!! We are excited to start using it! Kids already want to sleep in it, but it's still freezing at night and I don't want mess with filling up the propane before a real camping trip.

I have new wheels and tires on order as well as many accessories to help protect the trailer. Will be updating the thread as I add things.

As to the tires, I called Goodyear and said that I was comparing the Endurance's to the Carlisle Radial Trail HD's, but that the GY's were nearly $50 more per tire. Guy said he would give me 20% off if I ordered today. Didn't take too much pondering to accept the deal. Should have them ready to install on the camper on 16Apr.

Jesus_woman didn't actually approve of the wheels so I didn't feel like I could stretch that any further, but I wanted to go with 16's as that opens up options for MANY more E-rated tires.... But those wheels were another $60ea and tires were another $35ea. minimum. So I figured I may wait a few years for that. Check to make sure I have clearances first.
Old 04-06-2021, 12:26 PM   #8
Site Team

Strongly suggest that you do Camp Driveway before your first trip. That way you can test all the systems while at home, in case something goes wrong.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 02:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Strongly suggest that you do Camp Driveway before your first trip. That way you can test all the systems while at home, in case something goes wrong.
That is a good point!
Old 04-06-2021, 02:53 PM   #10

We treat our camper like a cottage and once packed it stays packed. We can grab some clothes and hit the grocery store on the way, everything including the hair dryer, my shaving stuff, and dog toys is already aboard. Linens and towels get washed upon return and back in the camper within 24 hours. Fitted flannel bottom sheet over the mattress is our concession to "linens," we use king size sleeping bags on the beds -- we ain't making beds while camping but neatness still happens.

Camp Driveway for the first weekend is great. Don't worry if you forget to pack something, there a federal law that requires at least one Walmart in every county in the US -- remember what you put in stays in for the season. Buy a nicer hair dryer for home and leave the old one in the camper. Same for pots, pans, and one of those toasters still sitting in a box from a family weeding. Just think "cottage," you'd have that fully equipped quickly.

-- Chuck
Old 04-07-2021, 10:08 AM   #11

@Chuck_S - that is pretty much what we do when we were primitive camping. I have one massive tote on wheels that had pretty much everything we'd need except for the bulky items like tents, sleeping bags and chairs. We also had a pop-up years ago and did have dedicated sheets, pots, pans etc for it. We still have all that stuff, so the camper will, indeed, have it's own sets of things. Just trying to be as minimalistic as possible, but that is hard for myself and my wife to do.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:28 AM   #12

Mods over the weekend:

Added 1x2's under dinette drawers to keep them from falling off the "tracks" and support them all the way back. Put liner inside. I plan to pickup some thin delrin to make them slide a bit easier too.

Made a small shelf that will fit behind the false panel under the sink cabinet. Will post pics when it's painted.

Added a foam-type drawer liner on top of the dinette OSB in the hopes of prolonging the fabric on the cushions. Might end up with quality plywood eventually.

Replaced all the drawer pulls with something of lower profile and won't grab onto loose clothing etc.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:52 PM   #13

Check the dinette table position and mounts. I think the didn’t measure and just eyeballed mine (poorly). Mine were 1-2” off center from the benches and the legs into the table were of center in all respects and unevenly spaced, Add to that there was a 1/4” gap table to wall.

Even with two legs, the table danced with Chubby Checker, Let’s twist again, like we did last summer.
Removed and evenly centered all the table leg mounts, floor & table bottom, making sure the table rest against the wall. Easy fix for a constant annoyance.

Just remembered you have a wrap around dinette, most of that doesn’t apply ;(

Dinette related: There was a poster that dropped down using a converted dinette bed. Not enough screws and/or backing for the lips the table sets on for a couple hundred pounds.
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:04 PM   #14

I didn't measure, but it looks fairly centered. However, one of the table mounts has already come loose from the floor. I am tempted to take the front panel off the slider for access and run bolts all the way thru the floor (if I can) and washers and locknuts below. My guess is the floor is cheap OSB and it takes nothing to strip those out...

Luckily, my table fits snug in it's stowed position. Maybe even too snug as it takes some finagling to get it in.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:54 AM   #15

Did some more work over the weekend. My wife it's decorating...

Mirror and shower curtain:

She also stuck a toilet paper holder up in the bathroom and a paper towel holder under the kitchen cabinet.

We completed the building of the shelf located under the sink, but I did not take any pictures yet. I had to modify it bits at a time to get it to fit.

I also made a more secure mounting option for the outdoor fridge. Will try to get a picture of that before I reinstalled the fridge.

And new wheels arrived. Before:

After (well staged anyway):

Wheels are getting GY Endurance wrapped around them today. I will also likely remove the center hub cover and paint them black. If I am feeling frisky, might even paint the lug nuts!!
Old 04-20-2021, 10:07 AM   #16

Don't paint the lug nuts. You need to check their torque frequently.

-- Chuck
Old 04-20-2021, 01:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus_man View Post
Did some more work over the weekend. My wife it's decorating...

Mirror and shower curtain:

She also stuck a toilet paper holder up in the bathroom and a paper towel holder under the kitchen cabinet.

We completed the building of the shelf located under the sink, but I did not take any pictures yet. I had to modify it bits at a time to get it to fit.

I also made a more secure mounting option for the outdoor fridge. Will try to get a picture of that before I reinstalled the fridge.

And new wheels arrived. Before:

After (well staged anyway):

Wheels are getting GY Endurance wrapped around them today. I will also likely remove the center hub cover and paint them black. If I am feeling frisky, might even paint the lug nuts!!
Where did you find that mirror?
What is the difference stock to new wheels? Other than looking nicer?
Boomerweps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 07:38 PM   #18

Mirror came from a sale rack at some container store or something. It's plastic so if it falls it shouldn't make a mess, but it is quite light.

Yeah, I really wanted the black wheels on my Black Label, but they didn't come with.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:44 PM   #19

Catching up on the mods.

This is what is under the outdoor fridge:

So I marked where I wanted the fridge to sit (favoring the right side of the opening so it would open further). Then I measured the width of the base, and marked the right side, then squared it all up and cut those base boards at the marks. Then I screwed 1x2's perpendicular to that to the baseboard. This is the result:

Now the fridge can't walk around in there.

Here is the shelf that resides next to the fridge where a blank panel was:

From the back:

And finally, what I thought was a genius idea to the catch holding the screen door to the main door as our screws were already stripped out from the factory:

I learned later that that clip from the factory holds down the screen door handle so it won't latch. I may have to come up with a solution for this....

And finally, the screws holding the table mounts to the floor were mostly pulled out. So I drilled thru the floor with a 1/4" bit and with 1/4" hardware sandwiched the mount thru the floor. These show the fasteners that do not pass the seal when the dinette slides out.

For the holes that do pass the seal, I used these from the bottom up and washers and nuts on top:

And one more shot of the wheels and tires mounted permanently!

We also camped in it locally one night and everything worked as expected. We are ready to venture out further now and have a busy camping summer planned!