Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2019, 11:25 PM   #1

2005 Cherokee lite sagging ceiling

Does anyone know what the ceiling framing looks like on the 2005 Cherokee lites?

Is it just one (bowed) framing member across the top or is it a more complicated roof truss?

I have a sagging ceiling and just wondering about the best way to do repairs, and would like to know more about what’s behind the ceiling panel before I start.

This is a 2005 Cherokee lite 28DD.
See pics below. Previous owner mentioned there was a leaking problem which he fixed and I have never seen wet wood so I believe him. I think this is the effects of dry rot if anything.

I’ve seen some others attempting repairs using unistrut (U-channel, or punch or whatever you call it), but not sure if that is appropriate for the framing or not.

TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64354260-CF43-4AE8-89A7-B9F548E844D2.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	220750   Click image for larger version

Name:	296BE1A4-E13A-46E7-B19E-075E2B11722A.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	220751  
johns786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #2
Site Team

Hopefully someone with experience with that unit will come along and tell you how it's constructed, but I'd pull the inside trim off the vent fan and/or skylight and look and see if I could tell how it's constructed.

A lot of units in that line use sandwiched luan / styrofoam / luan as the roof structure, but from the pictures that model doesn't appear to be of that construction.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:28 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I can see regular fiberglass insulation sticking out that hole in the one picture, so definitely not the foam sandwich.

That’s a good idea to poke around things I can take out and see if it gives any hints.
The ac vents in the ceiling just go to ducts, so pulling them, I couldn’t easily see around them. Might try the lights...
Old 12-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
Site Team

It's most likely 4" or 6" high trusses on 16" centers. They'll most likely be made out of 1x2's with 2x2 jacks. Or they could not even have jacks and just have 3/8" plywood plates at each end and the center.
Old 12-19-2019, 01:30 PM   #5

Been there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
It's most likely 4" or 6" high trusses on 16" centers. They'll most likely be made out of 1x2's with 2x2 jacks. Or they could not even have jacks and just have 3/8" plywood plates at each end and the center.
Bama has given a good description of the likely construction. Our 2002 SOB (Nash) is similar. The interior ceiling is likely three-ply 3/16" plywood. It has come unbonded from the truss. Either the glue joint has failed, or (more likely) the plywood has delaminated and the thin top layer may still be adhered to the truss.

In my case I pulled off the EPDM membrane from the roof, then the roof decking, and then the roof truss and the 1x2 ribbon that runs down the outside edges. I cleaned off the trusses and reinstalled them and the ribbon. Then I used some construction adhesive that worked like contact cement. From the roof I squirted (using a caulking gun) it between the truss and ceiling panel. My son, on the inside, then pressed the ceiling panel up firmly against the truss and then let it relax. After waiting the specified time (1 minute? 5 minutes? I don't remember), he pushed the ceiling up again and the panel instantly grabbed. Of course, I had all the insulation out at the time.

Since your leaks have stopped, you don't need to go to this extent. You have two easy options.
1) You could try to apply the product I used, working through vents and skylight openings, or
2) You could find the trusses and just put a row of decorative screws through the ceiling and into the trusses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	316SS-Phillips-Oval-Head-SMS-Kit-with-Cup-Washers-PRODUCT-1.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	220757  
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:51 PM   #6

Thanks Larry I’ll keep that option in mind.

If, instead of delamination, it looks like the trusses are rotten/broken/pulling away I suppose it’ll be a bigger job.

My question is, is the trailer drivable (towable) in this condition? Or will I have to worry about a roof collapse? I assume the trusses are providing important structural support to the trailer roof. If it’s just ugly at this point that’s one thing but if it’s dangerous that’s another.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:11 PM   #7

No collapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns786 View Post
Thanks Larry I’ll keep that option in mind.

If, instead of delamination, it looks like the trusses are rotten/broken/pulling away I suppose it’ll be a bigger job.

My question is, is the trailer drivable (towable) in this condition? Or will I have to worry about a roof collapse? I assume the trusses are providing important structural support to the trailer roof. If it’s just ugly at this point that’s one thing but if it’s dangerous that’s another.
A collapse is unlikely. But something to worry about is the integrity of the roof decking--in our 2002, it was 1/2" plywood. If it is soft and delaminating, the rubber (really EPDM) membrane and top ply could pull away. When you pull a trailer at highway speeds, there is a tremendous vacuum on the roof membrane--like the upper surface of an aircraft wing. The membrane can bubble up many inches.

So the real question is "How good is the roof decking?" A good roof will support you with very little give. A bad roof will feel so spongy you can't/won't put your full weight on it. So check the roof decking by walking/crawling on it. This will let you know whether you can merely screw the interior ceiling panels up or need to replace decking and rebuild trusses as I am doing.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
Commercial Member

johns786,

We would be happy to assist you with this question regarding your Cherokee's ceiling framing. Please contact Sabrina Shannon in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.forestriverinc.com/Direct...24495902294631.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cherokee, lite