Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2017, 10:42 AM   #1

2012 Grey Wolf 26RL - Water Heater Question

This is my first post on the forums, but I read every day and have gotten some great help from what I have read!

I have a 2012 Grey Wolf 26RL. We have only had it since January and LOVE it.

The water heater works great on propane...I can hear the flame kick in to heat the water. But, when I flip the switch at the water to ON to run on electric, the propane still kicks in and not the electric...what am I missing? What do I need to check?

Thanks for your help...

Scott
Orange Park, Florida
JaxDreamFunding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:53 AM   #2
Site Team

Are you turning the propane switch off when you energize the electric switch?

If not, the propane thermostat may be set a little lower that the electric thermostat and therefore the propane side fires before the electric side ever calls for heat.

Can you give us the model number off the heater?
Old 05-30-2017, 10:55 AM   #3

Propane switch

Propane switch? Where is that -- LOL

I'll get the model off the heater when I get to the house.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxDreamFunding View Post

My 2017 RL has two light up switches in the cabinet by the door. One is water pump, the other is to turn the water heater on gas. You should only use electric or propane. Not both at the same time.
2016 Nights Camped 23 (3 in popup)

Laissez les bons temps rouler!
mac.dblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:13 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxDreamFunding View Post

See if this thread may help especially if you only have ONE switch inside the RV.

Your first question/ sentence it kinda telling that you may not fully understand the operation of. This should help:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.dblues View Post
My 2017 RL has two light up switches in the cabinet by the door. One is water pump, the other is to turn the water heater on gas. You should only use electric or propane. Not both at the same time.
Hmmm? Dual power source water heaters can be run on both sources simultaneously. Most of us here do it purposefully and successfully for faster recovery. They are not mutually exclusive as are dual source refrigerators.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Hmmm? Dual power source water heaters can be run on both sources simultaneously. Most of us here do it purposefully and successfully for faster recovery. They are not mutually exclusive as are dual source refrigerators.
Interesting. I haven't seen it done. Just passing along info given to me by my dealer when we took delivery.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:16 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
You should only use electric or propane. Not both at the same time.
This is not an accurate assessment and both Suburban and Atwood state you can run both at the same time for the fastest recovery rate.

Please read my link in the above post from me.

You can also read it from the Suburban manufacturer in the first paragraph here:

Combinations Gas & Electric Water Heater

EDIT: here is a previous post that explains using both power sources for the Atwood, along with their charts showing the recovery rates.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post947874

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
This is not an accurate assessment and both Suburban and Atwood state you can run both at the same time for the fastest recovery rate.

Please read my link in the above post from me.

You can also read it from the manufacturer in the first paragraph here:

Combinations Gas & Electric Water Heater
Good information to have. Again, I was just passing along the same info given to me by my dealer upon delivery of my TT.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Good information to have. Again, I was just passing along the same info given to me by my dealer upon delivery of my TT.
I totally understand and we hear many bad dealer stories in this aspect of the dual power source water heaters. The Suburban's operation more so than the Atwood, is many times not explained properly (or at all) to new owners. Used RV purchasers are many times left to find out on their own.

This is why we keep such a long winded, detailed FAQ on the operation of it. The more people we can help share experience & wisdom on the proper use, then the more people that can pay it forward to the next RV'ers.

That's what our great forums are about.

Now you know more about it, than the person at your dealership does.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:45 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
My suggestion would be for you to earn another merit badge for today by calling/emailing your dealership and giving them the correct info. You might help hundreds of new purchasers. I've "educated" my dealership more than once.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Old 05-30-2017, 03:38 PM   #12
Just as confused as you

JaxDreamFunding, welcome to the forums.

Seeing you have bought a used RV, most likely you don't have some or any user/maintenance manuals. Everything in your RV is made by someone other than Forest River. I would like to suggest that you go through everything in your unit and get the Make, Model, Serial #, and any other numbers on each item. Manufacturers usually have more info on their websites than what is in the documents you get with the RV. Some manufactures even have service manuals you can download. If you cannot find the Manufacturer's website then a google search with the Make & Model Number will most likely lead you in the right direction. Other times posting pictures along with necessary info here on the forums will get a lot of help.

Necessary info includes: Make & Model#, sometimes serial and part numbers listed on the tag/label.

Make a spreadsheet and list every items info along with web addresses. Store a printout in your RV.

What I did with my last 3 TT's is download the documents onto my laptop. I take it along every time I go to my TT. A tablet will serve the same purpose. This way if you have problems then you have the info with you.

Hope this helps.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:08 PM   #13

I was one of those guys who didn't know how to use my water heater on my new trailer either. I thought there was a problem with it until I read all the good basic information found here. I finally found that hidden switch in the water heater access door at the lower left corner. Thank you forum posters.
Jack Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:17 PM   #14

Would using both pop the reset buttons?
Casey Retreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:38 PM   #15

I have a 2011 gray wolf the red light by the pump switch is for propane and the switch on the heater is for ele. If you want to run on ele only don't turn the red switch on. When on shore power once the water heater is full I turn the ele on (by water heater) and we hit the propane (by the pump switch with the tank gauges) when we are using a fair amount of water showering or dishes
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:08 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Retreat View Post
Would using both pop the reset buttons?
No... see posts #6 and 8... and others.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:14 PM   #17

Thanks Mr. Dan, saw those after I posted, lol.
Casey Retreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:54 PM   #18
Just Dreamin

Just an experience thing, but when you have the gas and electric on together you can almost take a normal shower without running out of hot water. If you have it set to hot or with to much flow you can run out of hot water. I have a suburban 10 gallon water heater in my 2008 Berkshire.
dreamin533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:08 AM   #19

I can't help you unfortunately, as I'm a new RV owner myself, but I saw your post and I have the same year and model TT - a 2012 Grey Wolf RL. We just purchased it from a private seller and brought it home a few days ago. The unit is beautifully maintained and so far we are loving it. We've been "camping" in the driveway, but have our first camping trip planned in just over a week.
luvabargain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 06:26 AM   #20

You will love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvabargain View Post
I can't help you unfortunately, as I'm a new RV owner myself, but I saw your post and I have the same year and model TT - a 2012 Grey Wolf RL. We just purchased it from a private seller and brought it home a few days ago. The unit is beautifully maintained and so far we are loving it. We've been "camping" in the driveway, but have our first camping trip planned in just over a week.
We got our Grey Wolf in January and have been out a few times. You will love it! Pour through the posts in this forum, you will find some great tips and tricks!

Tags
2012, grey wolf, heater, water, water heater