Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2017, 11:42 AM   #1

2017 Cherokee 274DBH - Axle Spring Issue

Due to the terrible squeaking from my suspension I was considering installing LCI's Equa-Flex Cushioned Equalizers and their Never Fail Bushing kit. I crawled under my unit to see what weight axles I had and I noticed my springs are flat.(see pictures) I have less than 3000 miles on my rig (my truck tracks the miles on the towed trailer).

LCI is standing behind the springs and replacing them through my dealer under warranty, but they won't replace them with anything larger than what was installed at the factory by Forest River. Because of the flat springs, LCI does feel that that is why my suspension is making so much noise.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem? I know I haven't overloaded the trailer on weight. My fear is the replacement springs will just do the same thing.

I probably will still add the Equalizer/Bushing upgrades, since they will be replacing the springs anyway.

Just putting this out there for other 274DBH users to check. Mine may be an isolated incident, but just was wonder about others.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171014_083700.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	155429   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171014_083725.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	390.5 KB
ID:	155430  
gadgetgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:34 PM   #2

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. What is the part number for your 274dbh which is the same unit I have
gilly9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 03:46 PM   #3

This is a 2017? There is quite a bit of rust, I wonder how old the axles are. I assume they are 3500# axles. Did you buy the trailer new? How loaded is the trailer now? If the trailer isnt loaded now, how do they look when it is loaded?

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideSaints View Post
This is a 2017? There is quite a bit of rust, I wonder how old the axles are. I assume they are 3500# axles. Did you buy the trailer new? How loaded is the trailer now? If the trailer isnt loaded now, how do they look when it is loaded?
Yes it is a 2017. Purchased New in June 2016, sits outside during the summer, in our pole shed during the winter. They are 3500# axles manufactured 3/16/2016. It was mostly unloaded, since I was getting it ready to go into storage this fall. My plan was to do the equalizer upgrade parts in the spring, so I was getting the info I needed before putting it away for the winter. Not sure what it looked like when it was loaded. For the most part it would just be clothes, blankets and any food that I take out for the winter. Trying to eliminate anything that might attract mice!!
Old 11-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

I am not sure if it is the photo but the one spring looks bent upward at the axle?

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I am not sure if it is the photo but the one spring looks bent upward at the axle?
I agree. That is why I'm putting this out there for others to check their trailers. Wondering if Forest River didn't put the correct springs on at the factory or if it is just an isolated incident with my trailer. Like I said, LCI is replacing the springs, but I'm not sure why these would have failed so early.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2017, 04:14 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

If they did not put the wrong springs then you must have been over loaded. Have you ever had a weight done. It does not take long to use up a ton of weight.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 11-01-2017, 04:42 PM   #8

I will admit, I haven't weighed the whole trailer. I will for sure do that now. I feel we are packed pretty light, but you are right, it can add up fast. My front and back compartments have chairs, grill, plastic blocks and hoses for hookup. Bed has hardly anything under it....a few clothes. We don't haul anything on the back rack. So I could pack a ton more!!
Old 11-01-2017, 05:50 PM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

Oh I know.. I just moved out of my 26dbh... Man we had a bunch of junk. I just figured I'd throw the weight thing because I am not sure what else could make the spring bend the other way other weight or a really big pothole maybe?

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 11-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly9751 View Post
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. What is the part number for your 274dbh which is the same unit I have
If you are asking about the Equa-Flex Equilizer upgrade. The Part Numbers I have from LCI: LC279687 and LC281285.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:45 AM   #11

2017 274 DBH springs

I also have a 2017 274 DBH. It is in for some warranty work right now, and I get it back on Saturday. I will be looking at my springs before I pick it up. I was wondering if your concern is on both sides of your trailer, or just the left ? side. Thank you for the post and pictures. One more thing for me to look at. I also read about replacing the spring hardware in Trailer Life a couple of months ago. If I remember correctly there were two articles about that, and it was maybe a month or so apart, and they spoke about two different brands. I will have to go back and review. But, thanks again for drawing this to my attention.
Jack Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:34 AM   #12

If it were just one spring the defect possible but it isn't so either overloaded or wrong leaf springs to begin with. Labor is the largest piece of the replacement so if the company will cover that then you maybe move up to a heavier duty spring. I used the equa flex and wet bolt shackles on my last unit and they reduced vibration and shock. My new Salem I just installed Mor Ryde 4000 and the wet bolt shackles with x cross bracing and its pretty sweet. I forgot a glass of water on the counter and drove for three hours and it didn't spill!
Nomad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:42 AM   #13

I know this isn't exact weight, but I just did a full inventory of what we carry. The total cargo capacity of the trailer is 1298#. I overestimated in a lot of the areas and included the shipping weights of stuff I bought. So the only time I would have been close to overweight would be the 3 times I hauled a full tank of fresh water. I still would have been 129+ pounds underweight, based on my overestimates. Here is my list.

Item Weight
Bag Chairs 45
Zero Grav Chairs 36
Webber Q 25
leveling blocks 20
6 Gal Wtr in Wtr/Htr 50
Water hoses/filter/Septic Equip 30
Grill Table 21
Camp table 20
Tool Kit 20
Yard Games 50
Toiletries 10
Misc Supplies 50
Dishes/Pots/Pans/Silverware 125
Food/Drink 125
Clothes/Bedding/Towels 125
Fresh Water Tank Full 417
Total Estimated Cargo Weight 1169

Thanks again for the input on the thread. Next time I get the trailer out, I will be finding a scale.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:07 PM   #14

Wink 2017 274DBH springs

I couldn't stop thinking about it, so I stopped by today to look at my leaf springs, even though it won't be ready to pick up until tomorrow afternoon. It was on the way home and I just wanted to see what my springs were up to. Mine are not flat at all, and have "U" shape to them. We have never really noticed any abnormal noise from them. We get some creaking from them, but no more then we hear from other peoples trailers. I probably have about 2K miles on it so far. We have had some minor issues, but have been very well taken care of on all of them. We have a great relationship with our dealer, as I stop by there quite often to visit, ask questions buy stuff, and always look at whatever seems new. Trying to see if I have buyers remorse. After a little over a year, it hasn't happened yet. Only time I was a little remorseful was when I wash it. But that fades pretty quick. Very happy with ours and thankful we are able to use it year round. Winterizing for us is camping next weekend for this month, then a "Christmas Camping Trip" for just the two of us. We have a Toronado small space heater we got at Bed Bath and Beyond that works amazing for heating the whole trailer, and isn't nearly as loud as the blast furnace heater in the trailer. Thanks again for the post, and I hope you are as well taken care of as I have been.
Old 11-04-2017, 12:11 AM   #15

Our dealer is great at taking care of us. We love our trailer too and still wouldn't change a thing in the layout. We too have had some minor things that were poor build issues from the factory, but our dealer has always taken care of us. I'm hoping it was just a build issue like the other items. It was just as they were switching from the 2016 to the 2017s. We look forward to camping again next spring....just need to get the springs fixed!! Thanks for the follow-up.
Old 11-04-2017, 01:04 AM   #16

274DBH

Yes, mine is also an early 2017/late 2016. I believe it was made June 2016. Has the older looking Wolf sticker on the front vs the newer tribal looking one. Has the curved strips on the sides that the new ones I see don't have. I'm always looking at the new same model trailers to compare what changes have been made. Like the different lights inside, the scare light outside, the additional HTMI jacks, glass inserts in cabinet doors, stainless steel microwave, and other things that changed. Somethings I like, other things not so much. I think the one change I like the best is the placement of the water heater,(mine is located at the left front, so I don't have the pass thru storage, not a big deal). And I like the newer lights in the bedroom. Instead of one in the center below the above storage, the newer ones have one on each side mounted on the like headboard wall. I'm not real wild about the new kind of dark chrome wheels. All small stuff that really doesn't matter. Glad to hear someone else is pleased with the dealer they bought from. That is what really matters above the small things. Enjoyed the communications. May you enjoy it more with new springs.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:42 AM   #17

Update:
My dealer installed the new springs, Equa-Flex Cushioned Equalizers and Never Fail bushings and hardware. It is much quieter now....but there is still some suspension squeaking.

I still need to get to a scale in the spring. I want to find the true weight of the trailer and then my contents to make sure I'm not over their weight limit. But as you can see from the pictures, there isn't a whole lot of travel in the springs. It is in my shed for winter storage and I've unpacked for the winter. So I'll update you when I get it to a scale in the spring.

Thanks again for the input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171125_134933.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	157477   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171125_135011.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	157478  
Old 12-02-2017, 02:06 AM   #18

Your new leaf springs and equa-flex equalizer look much better than your old leaf springs. I mentioned in a reply that I had read articles in Trailer Life earlier this year concerning suspension. The articles were in the Feb. 2017, and they mention the MORryde system and the equa-flex system. The March issue is about the MORryde in greater detail. Since reading these articles it has been something I would like to do in the near future. Both systems seem pretty good, and I like the idea of MORryde's additional cross member brace between the two axles at the center equalizer bolts. The equa-flex is less expensive than the MORryde , and I can't decide if it is worth the extra $$ or not. I thank you for your update with pictures to compare the before and after. I hope that after winter that you might add your opinion on how thing worked out for you, and if you could really tell the difference. I have watched some of the videos promoting both brands, and understand that they both can make theirs the answer to suspensions concerns. Look forward to what you can add.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetgeek View Post
I know this isn't exact weight, but I just did a full inventory of what we carry. The total cargo capacity of the trailer is 1298#. I overestimated in a lot of the areas and included the shipping weights of stuff I bought. So the only time I would have been close to overweight would be the 3 times I hauled a full tank of fresh water. I still would have been 129+ pounds underweight, based on my overestimates. Here is my list.

Item Weight
Bag Chairs 45
Zero Grav Chairs 36
Webber Q 25
leveling blocks 20
6 Gal Wtr in Wtr/Htr 50
Water hoses/filter/Septic Equip 30
Grill Table 21
Camp table 20
Tool Kit 20
Yard Games 50
Toiletries 10
Misc Supplies 50
Dishes/Pots/Pans/Silverware 125
Food/Drink 125
Clothes/Bedding/Towels 125
Fresh Water Tank Full 417
Total Estimated Cargo Weight 1169

Thanks again for the input on the thread. Next time I get the trailer out, I will be finding a scale.
So I finally had it Officially weighed. We were fully loaded, minus fresh water, on our way to camping: Scale weight of Trailer: 6460 lbs GVWR: 7732 lbs. It is nice to know that we are 1272 lbs under weight. So even full of Fresh water (417 lbs) we would be under. I'll keep track of the new springs and post any updates. Everything is much quieter after the new springs, Equa-Flex Cushioned Equalizers and Never Fail bushings and hardware.

Tags
axle, cherokee